Sky Nightmare - Please Help / **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a long one, so pelase bear with me.

In May 2009 I had SKY+ installed on a communal dish in my flat. It was installed by Sky's contractors but I purchased it through SKY. Upon leaving, the engineer told me that everything 'was working fine'. Since installation the whole thing has never worked properly and I could not record programmes, also the box would not respond / come out of standby for hours on end.

I ran Sky Technical Help who told me I would need to speak to the installing contractor to have it rectified. The contractor came out and told me that there was 'Something wrong' with the sattelite cable feeds, but as it was communal it wasnt his job to fix it. For this they charged me £50 call out charge and left.

I spoke to the person responsible for the communal dish, and was informed that the SKY socket in my living room only had one connection wired, and not the two that were needed for SKY+. I was pretty mad at this as surely the two engineers that came out should have spotted this?

After a letter (Phone calls were just ignored) to the company I was promised a refund of the £49 installation fee and the £50 call out charge. (Which I later found out I shouldnt have been charged as it wa sunder warranty!!) however the contractor came the next day and took away the SKY box.

I rang SKY to explain my problem and after being transferred to 8 different people during a 40 minute call, I was told to email customer services, as I had only had SKY for 5 weeks and couldnt cancel. I emailed the same day and heard nothing back for a week until I got an email written in appaling english, telling me my Subscription was cancelled.

Then two weeks later I got a letter from SKY telling me that they were charging me £120 as an early cancellation charge unless I rejoined within the next few weeks.

To top this off the contractor is now denying I was promised a refund.

I'm getting pretty frustrated as SKY just want money and dont care, they just transfer me from person to person, and the cowboys that did the installation are just abusive on the phone!!

Any help would be realy realy gratefully received.

Thanks

You firstly make sure no direct debit is set up to pay month fees to Sky, if they are then you should cancel it.

Tell Sky that you are not cancelling as you have not had the service and cannot cancel something you haven't got.

Now that the installer is denying any refund, you should write giving them 7 days to refund you or you will start court proceedings.

Do it all by letter recorded so you have a paper trail to refer to should it have to go to court.

You were installed by an independant company and can cancel sky within a 30 days.

As you say you are were outwith that time then sky can charge you for the remainder of the contract, however we can try another approach.

i'll come back

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

You were installed by an independant company and can cancel sky within a 30 days.

As you say you are were outwith that time then sky can charge you for the remainder of the contract, however we can try another approach.

i'll come back

Ida x

My point is though Ida, I didnt want to cancel, these cowboys have taken my SKY box, are with-holding the refund, and SKY wont give me a new box and just dont care!

Sky cannot provide you with any equipment because you live in a MDU.

If you still want sky you have 2 options,

ask your installer to swap to standard STB or buy a second hand STB.

Sky cannot do anything as they are not at fault as they did not and cannot provide the equipment.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Sky cannot provide you with any equipment because you live in a MDU.

If you still want sky you have 2 options,

ask your installer to swap to standard STB or buy a second hand STB.

Sky cannot do anything as they are not at fault as they did not and cannot provide the equipment.

Ida x

Do SKY not have a responsibility to ensure that their contractors operate to the correct standard?

Yes but you were not installed by a sky contractor. You were installed by an indepenadant company.

Ida x

• Haha 1

no,

there are two options that happened here,

you called sky and they have put you through to the local mdu installer or you have called the mdu installer number.

Sky will not install sky with anyone that has a communial dish.

ida x

Hi

Sky installed my box and i have communal dish, i know it was sky as it was arranged via a sky man on a stall at local shopping centre, they also arranged my phone line to be activated.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

Hi

Sky installed my box and i have communal dish, i know it was sky as it was arranged via a sky man on a stall at local shopping centre, they also arranged my phone line to be activated.

not all people in shopping centres are sky agents, the indep companies in the area do this as well.

i would be careful as if you do have a communial dish and a sky engineer attended to do a service call they may not complete the job.

there is a dipsute here as to who installed it as we know it wasn't sky themselves that installed it

ida x

But my point is that I as the consumer, rang SKY and asked them to provide me with THEIR service, they agreed but have failed to do so.

Whether it was a SKY, a contractor or the A-Team that installed it I just seem to be going round in circles with each blaming the other.

But the issue is this; If you have an concern (ie 'complaint') then it is the firm that actually did the job that is liable. If the A-Team installed your dish, then it is they who need to sort the issue with you, SKY, even though they were instrumental in choosing the contractor, gives you moaning rights and possibly a shoulder to cry on, but not legally. Even call centre staff don't work for Sky Television (but Sky Subscriber Services Ltd) and even then, they pass many calls to 3rd Party Call Centres answering AS SKy!

you would need to write to them giving 14 ays to refund the payment stating that if not pament isrecevied then you would proceed with court proceedings and you would need to follow it through

ida x

I would recommend you email [email protected].

He is the M.D. of the company.

I had a problem with Sky Talk. I was cut-off through no fault of my own and the CS Agent said that it would take up to 72hrs to re-connect. I was not re-connected for 8 days or so and after being pushed from 'pillar-to-post' I decided to email the above with my complaint.

Imagine my delight when 2 hours later his secretary replied saying the fault had been resolved and because of the inconvenience they would give me half price sky telly for 6 months.

Try this route, it may work

' The higher up the food chain you eat, the better the grub'.

No argument from me on your first observation. They are not an honourable company when it comes to dealing with consumer issues - flat refusals to be fair and reasonable take court action to resolve.

As to your second point, a letter (by recorded delivery, anf keep the receipt) to the installation firm to their Registered Office, giving all the details - just the facts, what the problem is, and what you would like them to do to resolve it.

Give them 28 days to resolve the issue, or refund all the money you have paid to them for their services. Explain that if there is no satisfactory response you will without further notice seek to recover your payment and costs for their inability to provide a satisfactory service. Gor good measure you could note Sky Subscriber Services at their Hounslow address as an 'interested party', to keep things tidy.

• 2 weeks later...

Wahey! Sorted it finaly.

After calling to find out why my letter had been ignored (and being cut-off three times..) I spoke to the first person that a random pressing of keys in the automated menu would get me to and told them it was their lucky day as they had been chosen to sort my problem :p

After being transferred to Customer Services where I was told ''Theres nothing I can realy do for you, but I'll pass you on to a manager and see what she says,'' I was passed on to a lovely manager who listened and seemed interested!

After explaining my problem I was told to leave it with her and she would call me back. 30 minutes later I received a call from her with the following:

• Sky are going to send an actual SKY engineer to install a free SKY+ box in my flat, free of charge.
  • My account has been suspended so no further payments are required until I have the box.
  • As a goodwill gesture they will send me a cheque refunding me all my SKY subscriptions paid to date!!!:D:D:D
  • They will launch an internal investigation into the installing company and I should receive my full refund from them in 14 days!

I have to say that that is way more than I expected from them :D

When it is all finaly over I will write a nice letter to thank this lady, as she is only person who has actually helped me at SKY in the past 4 months!

If I can work out how to change the thread title to show 'Sorted' I will, lol.

Excellent news, thread title amended to reflect success :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D