• Tweets

• Hi All    I've spent 2 weeks without a phone and over 4 hours between phone and livechat talking to samsung about my broke s10e phone screen.   I bought the phone in June 2021 and long and short of it the phone screen broke while in my pocket. I made a call before getting in the car and it was fine. Went to make a call when I got out the car and the screen had cracked and some LCD damage. The LCD damage has now fixed itself. I called samsung to get this repaired and they flat out refused to repair it as it was physically damaged and their warranty only covers manufactuer defects and that all their phones are rigoursly tested. I told them that if all their phones are rigoursly tested and don't break in peoples pockets just like that then my screen must be one with a manufacturers defect and that it is covered by the warranty then. At which point after climbing as high up the chain as I could this was the only answer I would get.    Is there anything I can do here ? I am not lying about it breaking in my pocket. It's got a full phone case only things showing are front/back camera and fingerprint reader and no marks besides from placing my case on. I just don't feel that it's fair that they expect me too pay £190 to fix the screen when it is obviously defective. What if the replacement screen breaks randomly then they will just expect me to pay another £190 I expect.    I've also tried approaching EE who my phone contract is with to which I was advised to go  to samsung or they could quote for a repair or I could early upgrade.   Please any advice would be greatly apreciated I'm at my wits end here.
    • If your ex provides their latest address to any creditor chasing him for debts, you should not be bothered.
    • Npower    https://tinyurl.com/y5krktbw   Octopus   https://tinyurl.com/yxawe4d7   British Gas    https://tinyurl.com/y5ppp8m2   EON   https://tinyurl.com/yxtnu8ou   Scottish Power    https://tinyurl.com/yywu7mh3   EDF    https://tinyurl.com/yahjzwxr   Gov    https://tinyurl.com/prnh38t   Urls take you to utilities suppliers        
    • Complain to Mazda UK.  Tell them you've got the safety recall and you don't want to use Mazda Crap Dealer for the work but your nearest alternative is 40 miles away.  Ask what they suggest you do...   Of course, as you've already got it booked in etc you probably don't want to mess about with it, and it is a safety recall so needs attention.  And your old dealer might not be happy with you - but can they be any worse?  Think about it.  You could just complain and see how they treat you in 3 weeks time when you bring it in...   But I like being awkward... and it can have it's downside...
    • Travellers returning to UK from Belgium, the Bahamas and Andorra will have to quarantine from 04:00 BST on Saturday. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
questioner

BOS v Mitchell - thoughts on docs

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4010 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am STILL musing over the BOS v Mitchell court case and I think this deserves a thread all of its own to debate WHY BOS bottled out...

The bit about the guy saying he was not given terms and conditions even though BOS said he would have been originally given them with the pack is a vital point in enforcibility of docs for many of us .

I have some CCA docs sent to me by vultues (YES - INCLUDING BOS AND THEIR LOVERS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DESK BOS) that seem like they have ALL the prescribes terms on the signed application/agreement BUT the terms and conditions/Conditions of use are on a seperate sheet that we could, like Mitchell, FAIRLY claim was never given to us when the agreement was indeed executed/signed - which may in fact be true - regardless of any questionable ref numbers at the botton of the page (which are often very hard to make out anyway).

Do I have a good point here or am I being daft?

BANK OF SCOTLAND -v- ROBERT MITCHELL

1st June 2009

APPROVED JUDGMENT

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - Credit-card written off at Leeds County Court June 2009

So was there more to this big BOS climb down than than we saw? Clearly they did NOT want others to get wind of this affiar as it could cost them a lot of lolly.......

More importantly - how does it affect the comsumer with the frequently questionable docs the creditors send us in response to our CCA requests?????

Edited by questioner

6. The thrust of Miss Gardner's submission is that the issue directed by the District Judge, and on which the evidence has been focussed, is whether the bank supplied the defendant at the time of signing the application form for credit with documents which contained all the terms of the agreement between them. I shall elaborate a little further on this. It has been the defendant's case that he was supplied with nothing more than the application form which he signed.

The above was the main thrust of the case, the lack of the prescribed terms within the 'four corners' of the signed document.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

MORE MUSING FROM MY PARANOID MIND........

Personally – I have questioned my BOS CCA docs (and those from other sources) on grounds of them not being “easily illegible”.

This is something that I am informed they have to be in the first instance to be legitimate.

If they DO give me something I can actually read then I may also write to these lovely people to tell them that, like Mr M, they have sent me agreements that have Terms/Conditions on a “separate” sheet, which I am not aware to being given to me at the time the agreement was executed, regardless of any page ref numbers they may shout about on the two pages.

I may ask them if they will therefore kindly close my accounts as they have done with Mr M for reasons of legal unenforceability.

Am I being unfair to them?

The above was the main thrust of the case, the lack of the prescribed terms within the 'four corners' of the signed document.

Somewhat comically - one agreement copy they gave me appears to have MY signature in the box that they are supposed to have signed for the bank. I never worked for them either.There is what seems to be a rubbed out smear under my sig that looks like its been erased in a hurry. I had to laugh at this.

I wonder what breach, under the CCA, this boo bo may possibly be . lol I am thinking of sending then a letter saying they own me a few grand with similarly iffy signatures on and see if they pay me .. :grin:

The 2 pages also have different ref numbers at the botton too. Not sure if it was copied up by by Eric Idle or John Cleese in their hayday:D

I bet old Judge Langham would love this one.

Edited by questioner

One thing that puzzles me is that if you take out a personal loan secured/unsecured or a mortgage you receive a duplicate copy of the documents.

With a credit card, there appears to have only ever been one copy. This would have been signed by the applicant and returned to the CC company. Very few people would have had the foresight to photocopy before returning.

I personally would have expected a copy to be returned to me.. bearing their signature ! Along with all the other documents ie Terms and conditions they say they "would have "been provided.

The only company I ever received a signed copy of the agreement and the terms and conditions from was, Paypal credit card.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

WOULD YOU AGREE WITH THIS ...........????

Dear DCA vultures

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 was written by the draftsman of the Act, Francis Bennion, and originally published in one volume in 1976. Francis Bennion informs us:

127(3)) entirely on my own initiative. It seemed right to me that if the creditor company couldn’t be bothered to ensure that all the prescribed particulars were accurately included in the credit agreement it deserved to find it unenforceable, and that the court should not have power to relieve it from this penalty. Nobody queried this, and it went through Parliament without debate. I’m glad the House of Lords has now vindicated my reasoning and confirmed that nobody’s human rights were infringed.

Are you not aware that this comment by the draftsman of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 means that the signatures, relating to the entire and fully understood agreement, must in fact be made at the very end of the agreement, and that all the terms and conditions are to be embodied in the actual agreement ‘before’ the signatures are executed?

This is a vital moot point relating to the legality of this issue. Separate sheets of Terms and Conditions, that may or may not relate to the aforementioned agreement, would therefore be deemed worthless unless the signature of both the applicant and lender WERE INCLUDED AS A LAST ITEM on this final page AFTER ALL RELEVENT CONDITIONS ETC. The critical point is that signatures must be presented at the very end of the entire document to be logically acceptable and more importantly - lawful.

Any agreement that is not in fact formatted in such a manner may be likely to be deemed UNLAWFUL.