• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I am so confused

loopinlouie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At the moment I am on income support, single parent and receive dla high rate care low rate mobility. I also get full housing and council tax award.

I am told by the job centre that they want whilst on my first work focused interview to change me from income support to esa and this will not affect my money.

I have been on the welfare rights site and cant see how this can be true. I am told I have to fill in the forms due to the age of my children, youngest nearly 12.

I am incapable of work due to mental health problems and another issue and am concerned I will walk in sign what I dont understand and then panic at what is happening.

I know I could ask welfare rights or mind to go with me and intend to ask them to put off interview for two weeks to sort this, its just I find this confusing. The man who rang me from job centre is very very keen for me to sign these forms. Last time I signed forms welfare rights did them for me.

Is it possible for me to ask them to do the work focussed bit and allow me to go to welfare rights for filling in forms. I cant handle much in one go.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefits system is so complicated I think you would be very sensible in taking the forms to Welfare Rights for them to check before you signed them. I don't see how Job Centre can stop you from doing this if you are ill and don't really understand them.

JCP can want you to sign the forms all they like, but it is your right to have someone who is able to understand these documents to read them first, then explain to you in simple language that you understand, what they mean, and only then should you sign them, if at all.

I have a severe brain injury, which means that on legal forms or documents I have to have someone else present to ensure I know what it is I am signing. JCP are no different, I simply will not sign anything that I am not sure about, if they don't like it then that's there look out.

I don't know whether the ESA rates are any different at all to the IB rates?

As I am on the old style Incapacity Benefit (IB), which goes up to a maximum rate dependant on how long you have been receiving it.

Have you had a look at the Direct.gov website?

https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov.uk/portal

/page/portal/ba/lp

• Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ive been on income support and dla for about 9 years now and was sure I was told they could leave me on it. I know they have changes, but i got the impression they wern't too concerned I didnt understand it.

I have severe problems with my memory and can switch off at any time, if you know what I mean and am worried its more a case of just trying to get me to sign off income support bit.

I think I will have a little more confidence to ask them to purspone appointment and state I am not refusing work focused interview, but will not sign forms on my own.

Was told last time after he spoke to my doctor that it was obvious I needed support element. Just after when gone through riggors of accepted reknew dla claims which are no mean feat to get accepted on, I feel they should liase a little more and not put extra stress on those who are ill.

Edited by loopinlouie

Can you get someone to go along with you to these interviews, preferably someone who has some knowledge of these forms?

Or even ask you local welfare officer for some assistance on the matter.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I'm afraid they are correct. Income Support stops when your youngest child reaches the age of 12. This reduces to age 10 in October. The alternative is JSA - You are being offered ESA because they are aware that you are incapable of work. If a person on Income Support on the grounds of being a lone parent refuses to claim another benefit, the Income Support will still stop regardless once the child reaches the age limit. If you are receiving Income Support on the grounds of being a lone parent, then they can stop it. If you are receiving it on the grounds of incapacity then it can continue for the moment but eventually all IB and IS (Incapacity) claimants will be transferred onto ESA.

I would strongly encourage you to enlist the help of Welfare Rights with this to ensure that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks for the info. I will ask job centre to puspone appt till I can see welfare rights and be accompanied.

At least I know not to panic, I just cant seem to deal with change very well and got into quite a pickle when payments changed from weekly, though thats sorted now.

I claim on basis of illness, but have not been put on incapacity due to it was easier being a single parent to be on income support.

Could you just reassure me that they will not overall lower the ammount compared to that of income support, I thought it was the minimum ammount any how and hopefully would be about the same:). Will contact welfare rights on monday.

This is the best place to destress!

Whinge moan and complain to high heaven, if anyone can help they will do, after a while it will be you giving others helpful advice on here...

Boo;)

it must be hard for you having to change over from one benefit to the other and its a shame nobidy told you to claim Incapacity Benefit some years ago

but try to get help to get the forms filled out

has your Lone Parent Obligation advisor not helped you, they usually try to get the switch over from one benefit to the other as smooth as possible.

At the moment you might be getting paid Income Support weekly but when you get over to ESA it will be fortnigtly and the first few weeks may be a struglle for you

You will be offered a loan called a transititional loan to help you through,

this may help you, I know you have to pay it back but it will cover the gap inbetween your last Income Support payment and first ESA

dont forget to ask for one if you dont get offered

good luck with it all

no, they would have given you a date your Income Support would have finished and your ESA claim will start

also you will need medical certificates for your ESA claim, try to get some help like welare rights or CAB or get back to your advisor in the jobcentre

have you got another appointment booked soon ?

i dont think I could be any lower if I could try.

The man from the job centre was okay, at first he stated why hadnt I claimed the benefits he had apparantly told me about last time he called. Firstly he didnt tell me to do that, he wanted to talk to my mental health doctor and they tried to contact him I was told.

I knew they were looking at changing me to esa but that was to be left untill they contacted me next.

Any how he was polite and asked me questions and there it went downhill. Now hes not mentioning esa, but tax credits and I am lost now. He asked me about what monies I had comming in and I told him income support, dla and monies from csa and I knew straight away something was wrong.

Back in nov last year the csa started paying me money and at first into an old account, so I knew nowt about it. Income support had my new details because someone kept ringing asking for my details to get to my money and income support along with coop aided me to change benefits to new account.

I told income support that the csa were paying me money and they told me it was mine. I asked why as it was a lot and if so why was it not mine untill now as my ex had regulary paid the csa prior to that.

I was told things had changed and now it was mine on three occassions and not by the same person.

Today the job centre man said I should have been only getting 20.00 a week, I was getting over 500.00 pounds a month.

In february I got a letter from the csa telling me how much money had been paid to me and I again rang the income support people to be told, it did not count in calculating my benefits unless paid direct from ex and via csa was not counted. I said the ammount of money was a large change from normal and they said again it did not matter and in their own words to go and enjoy. That quote was from the last call which I recorded for record as I have severe memory problems. On this same call it was mentioned by them that I had asked the same question before and not to worry it was mine.

Today told the income support file for me, apparantly the job centre man could access it, did not mention monies from the csa and he said all had to be declared. I said thats okay as I have done it and he said well there is no record and I said well I recorded it as I considered this needed recording for record as I have problems trusting people and memory etc.

I did say would this affect my money comming in in just under two weeks and was told no, he wants a doctors note from me, fine as I am seeing doctor tommorow.

Now I have an anxiety disorder and ptsd along with another serious issue but get on with life like everyone else as best I can. My son is away with young carers abroard for nearly two weeks and I am told my benefit names are changing and now the csa money is an error.

I am freaking out as I am so careful trying to trust the people who apparantly are there to help me and careful to record important information for my memory. I may be mentally ill but I am not stupid, we are not talking about one person giving the wrong information but three calls to income support and at least two or three to csa.

I am worried they are going to penalise me for their errors, he said my money will still come, but can I believe that?

Edited by loopinlouie
smiley not appropriate

Any advice from here appreciated, for now I am going for a large cuppa and the biggest choccy bar I can stuff in my face for solace.

Ps. The go and enjoy, we certainly did. I caught up with essential bills to some extent as in paid regular and guess what paid for sons laptop for school and his tonnes of clothes for trip abroad. So banks definately broken and so is my old heart, the violins will be out soon, so dissapearing off quickly for a while.

Seriously though I am peeing myself with grief:( I shouldnt trust anyone from dwp again.

Right, if this seems a bit disjointed then I apologise, but I shall work backwards through your concerns.

Firstly, thank god you have been recording your calls:D

I also began recording mine some months back due to the nature of my brain injury, and now with the purchase of true call, I can forget about it, and just download the relevant important conversation each month..

Anyhow, if the error that they 'MAY' have made is due to them or is deemed to be an 'admin' error, then the amount they have overpaid you (if at all) will be written off. Although at first they may say they are going to recover the overpayment, but on the three previous occasions this has happened to me, I have been able to succesfully argue that I could not have known of the overpayment at the time.

And in your defence you did ask them and question the amount you were receiving, and they confirmed it was correct:|

As for the legalities of recording your own 'personal' telephone calls, there is no requirement for you to have to inform the other person on the end of the line that you are recording the call.

I have out of courtesy told all my friends and family that I record 100% of my phone calls, and they are fine with it, it's when banks and Government organisations claim not to have any evidence of certain information or records of the phone call, that it really does come into it's own having your own recording!:D

Hold tight, it is pointless worrying over something that you have no control over, and besides, they haven't even stated that they paid you money that they shouldn't have..

Thanks, your right, I havnt yet even been told I have been overpaid. He just kept repeating how important all changes to circumstances were and I replied I know, thats why I record them for memory.

I told him I was recording his call also and he was okay with that and that he would contact income support.

Say it turns out I am overpaid, they are not quick to mention the years of 10.00 and 20.00 payments I apparantly according to csa should have been chasing income support for, not forgetting how long it took them to sort out me on disability premium.

Back grounded for now anyhow. Just that when I said any error was not down to me and please sort it out, he said he would, so Ive done my bit.

I have no idea why esa suddenly changes to him mentioning tax credits though, not a foggiest, so will ask to see welfare rights asap.

He did say he would count our conversation as the work focussed interview and I replied I had no prob with having another meeting, just I needed to have confidnece what would be told was true and in my interest as in no more confusion please:).

Edited by loopinlouie

ps, Importantly I forgot to say he did state he had filled in tax credit form online and I would here from them soon. So I hope I am wrong but I thought that meant any income support claim would stop.

He did promise it would not effect my income support money comming in 26th, so we will see:eek: Got to give him a chance.

hi

tax credits have been mentioned to you because when you go over to ESA then tax credits will pay for your child as ESA will only pay money for yourself

You should have the same amount off tax credits for your child as you have been receiving for him off Income Support

so hopefully your advisor would have completed the forms

when you get your tax credits inform IS straight away as you cant have money off tax credits and IS for your child

remember in my earlier post I told you about a loan what the advisor was doing was asking you what income you had coming in to assess you for the switchover

you said maintenance obviously when he viewed the IS screens then he seen there was none on your claim

I have no doubt you have phoned them to declare this, you need to get some advice on this as soon as you can

CSA normally tell IS when they start paying maintenance so things have gone wrong badly

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Thanks for advice. The comments of income support telling me to go and enjoy, prove how hard I worked to verify the money was mine. They had to tell me to spend it without worrying. I can understand one making a mistake, but not three calls. I could almost over the phone feel my advisor reeling at what I said. Did enjoy politely pointing out I make recordings, Ive felt guilty for so long recording people, but now think I am stupid if I dont.

maintenance was a night mare before October last year

there were two types

1 the non resident parent paid it direct to the customer then I.S should have taken it fully into account after giving a ten pound disregard

2 the NRP paid it to the goverment, CSA gave the customer the ten pound disregard.

After October its been all paid direct to the customer and I.S gives twenty pound disregard and takes the rest of the amount into account pound for pound... They do this even if you are claiming tax credits for your children and they are not paying for them. Its classed as an income

thats where I think your problem has arisen and where it has gotten mixed

up

but it should have been taken nto account if you have been receiving it and perhaps you need to see CAB or someone about this

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE
  • Haha 1

From next week there has been a u turn on lone parents under the lone parent obligation scheme

If you are unfit for work then they cannot force you to claim ESA ask your advisor when you see them, this should be confirmed for you

dont know if it will effect you, but it may help if you dont want to go off Income Support but when your child reaches sixteen you would still need to come off as per the old rules

Edited by Jack Daniels

All your advice is brilliant every one of you, I have gone from birsting out in tears and feeling a fool to my doctors, to feeling a little more empowered.

Funny enough the job centre advisor told me yesterday something about a backward step in regarding single parents who are unwell. Today he asked me to send the doctors note to him and tommorow I will do that.

He has applied for tax credits on line for my children and I am not sure what this then means for me, the call couldnt have been briefer today. I hope this means I will be left on income support as I have requested previously though told then it was not allowed, untill yesterday the hope of a backward step.

He has clearly to be fair yesterday told me to inform income support as soon as tax credits make any award for my kids, so I know to do that and will of course record that call for record.

I just hope I now will be left on income support even though he wants the doctors note, I have asked before why do I have to change to esa and hope this apparant backward step refered to will help me.

He has to be fair been obviously making an effort to help me understand what tax credits are, I just get confused.

Welfare rights rang me yesterday and went through what happened over the csa money. They were pleased I had a reference as in recording and asked me to make a note of names and also told me not to worry untill I hear in writing and then that they would step in. She seemed to understand where the confusion on their part may have come from and at least on this occassion I can say it was not me getting confused thank god.:)

So Ive calmed down and will wait and see and then update, thanks.

Well have to admit I am nawing at my nails again. He said he would ring and explain what this backward step was and let me know where I stand. I didnt get another call. This means I have no idea what benefit I am to be on.