Had a nasty visit today!!!! advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is linked to this thread..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/213310-cap-one-debitas-ccad.html#post2343997

Basically i've CCA'd Debitas and got back a fluffy reply with no CCA. They said they be in touch.

Well today they got back in touch alright.Nearly took the door of the hinges!!

They sent round 2 bailiffs. I didn't answer the door,didn't dare too but they made enough noise for all the neighbours to hear.

I rang debitas up and stated that they were in breach as they hadn't replied right and they informed me that they were well within their rights and as long as I pay them on an agreement plan at the end of the month that everything willbe fine?!a threat? They also told me that they had no control of the people who came to see me and they may call again in the next day or so.(they have no warrant of execution as this hasn't gone to court yet)

yet this has turned really nasty.

any advice?

2u7t9g1.gif

Make a complaint to your local trading standards & the OFT with regards to their harassment and threats, they are in clear breach of OFT guidelines & CPUT ;

Consumer Direct - Contact us

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/DebtCollectionComplaintForm.DOC

The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

[email protected]

tel: 020 7211 5823

The Office of Fair Trading: Debt collection practices

http://oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

how can they be baliffs

do you have a ccj

not bailiffs but looked and acted like them.

i have no CCJ.

apprently debitas sent them round to see if we lived here as they' couldnt make contact with us even though they're responed half assed to my CCA request which is now out of date by the way.

They're Called 'power to contact'. they even went round the side of the house and spoke to my kids through the gate?!!

Edited by chipaway1
extra

Power to contact are a great firm of tossers who used to work in the utilities industry debt chasing for the gas industry.

They have absolutely no power whatsoever and are rarely bailiffs.

I am also surprised that they turned up as a pair as they are, and this is rare in the debt collection industry, employees of Power to contact rather than self-employed agents.

How old are your kids? They should never approach a minor and a complaint should be made to the company.

I would advise politely telling them to leave and then call the police.

GK

Maybe you won't have to complain as there are guests lurking:p

I am also surprised that they turned up as a pair as they are, and this is rare in the debt collection industry, employees of Power to contact rather than self-employed agents.

Maybe training a new 'field agent' how to collect doorsteps.

I wonder if they split the commission? What's 50% of FA....oh yes...sweet FA. :rolleyes:

How old are your kids? They should never approach a minor and a complaint should be made to the company.

kids are 10 years old.

Who do i complain to regarding the kids?

I've agreed a payment plan over the phone now but am concerned as they still haven't produced the CCA.

They also offered me a 50% off final settlement on the phone!

Maybe training a new 'field agent' how to collect doorsteps.

I wonder if they split the commission? What's 50% of FA....oh yes...sweet FA. :rolleyes:

Hi Cerbs,

AS they are employees it was twice the cost for Sweet FA.

Not a very good example.

I wonder now if it might be worth a SAR? To find out who was there and what they say they did.

I was going to suggest that you make a written complaint to the company but that would be confirming who you are. I really do not understand why they tried the bully boy approach. When I was a field agent (it IS in my profile and I have never tried to hide it) I was always most successful by charming people. Pity it has faded now lol

GK

I've agreed a payment plan over the phone now but am concerned as they still haven't produced the CCA.

They also offered me a 50% off final settlement on the phone!

Which begs the question, if they have an enforceable agreement why the 50% discount?

With reference to your latest post and this very intimidating tactic, I would definitely be reporting them to the Police. Two men trying to knock the door through, and a female with young children inside!:-x

You must report them, if they do come back round again and use the same tactic, I would ring the Police immediately and yes 999, saying two men or 'a' man is trying to get into your house, wait until the clown is sporting a pair of Her Majesties finest bracelets and then go outside and kick him in the crown jewels for frightening you and the kids!:D (well maybe not while the Police are looking)

I find it absolutely incredible that anyone should have to put up with this kind of Neanderthal behaviour by some organisation who is way above their station, they need bringing down a peg or three:-x

However, it's not me is it, I can only advise as to my own course of action in response to these clowns.

You say you have made an agreement over the phone to pay them an amount each month?

I'd cancel that straight away, I'd ring them up and tell them to foxtrot oscar, if they want any money you'll see them in court. And just slam the phone down on them.

As they don't have a CCA, and haven't produced you one, you do not have to pay them anything!

Have any of your neighbours got a big dog? Can they lend it you for a few days? Or come round to visit when the two goons turn up?? If they turn up!

I'm bloody fuming:-x That is so wrong I just can't get over it!

OK first complaint to the Police, then I would ring up Consumer Direct and tell them, as they will pass the details onto Trading Standards in your area, and should hopefully be able to give you some advice on how to bring these losers down a peg.

Then a complaint to the OFT, and finally a complaint to them (debitas) you can use HowtoComplain

Consumer Direct

The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

And here's a few other links to relevant info you might like to keep handy, or read sometime:

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I was just having a quick browse for Debitas' number, when I came across this other very very funny and amusing link, to someone called zincoxide!

The Heartwarming Story of A Debtor's Revenge - Scanner

Debitas: Can you confirm your date of birth?

Me: 25/12/00

Debitas: Sorry

Me: 25/12/00 - I am Jesus

Debitas: Sorry?

Me: That's Ok, I forgive all sins

Debitas: Is this Mr X

Me: You are speaking to Jesus

Debitas: Urm.....(hangs up)

Debitas: Can you confirm your date of birth and post code?

Me: I don't really want to

Debitas: If it makes you feel any better, these details are available to the public on the electoral role

Me: Great! Why don't you confirm my details there and call me back!!

Debitas: How is that confirming your identity?

Me: Speak up

Debitas: (shouting) How is that confirming your identity?!

Me: I don't need to confirm my identity - I know who I am

Debitas: You are not helping yourself and you'll learn this in the future

Me: Oh dear - are you gonna send the boys around?

Debitas: A bailiff may be sent around

Me: Oh I hope he's the rugby type - does he have a firm bum?

Debitas: Keep your mobile on Mr X (hangs up)

Sometimes Debitas tries to call him back instantly to throw him off, but X always brings his A game. In one conversation, they ask him who he is and he replies, "the burglars." When they try to catch him faking by asking him to repeat his address, he deadpans, "I don't know, but there was a window open." The idiots amazingly continue to play along with his charades on every call. (Don't miss page 5, in which X pretends to be a Debitas operator that the Debitas rep has called by accident.)

Mr. X has tormented his equally anonymous callers by badly crooning "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"; answering under the guise of the STD helpline and inquiring as to the intensity of the caller's "burning sensation"; and forcing callers to mimic his mock-flamboyant "wassssupp" before answering any of their questions (they actually comply!) For 16 of the thread's 27 webpages, the two forces duke it out call by recorded cellphone call, until one side grudgingly admits defeat:

A new line in DCA baiting has been born:lol:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for your replies. I'm really livid with these thugs :-x.

From where we are at the moment, we're left with a couple of options I can either: 1) start up this new payment plan - however bearing in mind they breached the last payment plan 3/4 months ago and said they never received the payment by giro slip - well it's not in my account THEY HAVE IT, and they have ignored my letters bar one which I sent all mine recorded and have the slips to prove it. 2) Not do the payment plan as discussed on the phone this afternoon - however, they told me on the phone that if I do not make a payment by the end of August they will pass the account to someone else.

My quandry is whether to allow them (Debitas) to pass it on to someone else - as Cap 1 wouldn't even speak to me. And then go through the whole thing again with someone else, ie: requesting CCA etc.

Or:

To put the account into dispute with Debitas to force their hand even further, as they haven't provided the CCA - but bearing in mind they have not responded to any of my previous recorded letters - they just sent thugs round today.

Advice please? Thanks for replies.

Thanks Bazooka Boo for doing some research. They did try ringing up a few months ago and we used similar dialogue. But now they dont ring as we have changed phone numbers as we were getting 12 calls a day - 7 days a week at all times of day/night from them. Very distressing.

:-x

If these :-x Goons haven't produced any documents relating to your CCA request DO NOT PAY THEM please!

You should put this account firmly into dispute immediately, then if they pass it on that is more ammunition to bring them down with.

I am livid for you at the way they have tried to bully you into paying, Jesus this harks back to the debt collection days of the 70's and 80's, when they really did kick the door off it's hinges and pull out your finger nails with pliers!!!!

Send them the account in dispute letter, and if they ring you pick it up, and tell them I told you to tell them to pick on someone their own size, and foxtrot oscar!

Thanks Bazooka Boo - really thinking now NOT to enter into any agreement as stated over the phone today - just feel really really bullied. Alarm bells rang instantly when they offered 50% over the phone. They will only receive the money at the end of the month and then say they never received it again just like they said last time. They also want my debit card details ONLY to do this.

If I hadn't have lost my job in January this wouldn't have been an issue, I always have paid my debts.

This is just nasty. :-x

You don't have to try to justify being in debt! We are all at some point in time in that boat, which is why CAG exists:D

I certainly wouldn't give them any card details or bank details.

I am right in that you did send them a CCA request and they failed to provide one?

Did you send them any reply to their shoddy effort?

You could send them this, editing to suit;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/582-possible-letter-when-a-questionable-agreementapplication-is-sent

Or this;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/579-letter-when-dca-refuses-to-comply-with-a-cca-request

Or this;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/571-failiure-to-provide-a-copy-of-the-agreement-within-the-prescribed-timescale

Actually the last one is probably the best to send.

You really must complain about these bloody thugs:-x

Not only to the relevant authorities,OFT,TS and the like, but also to your local Police, so at least they are aware, and if it happens again then they will already be aware of the situation, and will hopefully come round blues and two's and release their big German Sheppard!!:D

Totally right in your question "I am right in that you did send them a CCA request and they failed to provide one?" - they did reply but it came from Cap 1 NOT Debitas and it was just a terms & conditions leaflet. They have ignored all my other recorded letters.

I will send the letter you kindly posted for me:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/571-failiure-to-provide-a-copy-of-the-agreement-within-the-prescribed-timescale

I will complain to OFT first thing tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

Just remain calm, getting angry rarely gets you anyway, I find that if anything, I become more defensive of my kids. Would you let a dodgy character anywhere near your kids? of course you wouldn't, so treat them as such

If you have 10 year old children then you have a right to protect those children and as mentioned earlier in the thread, you have a right to have police protection for your children. If they turn up again, phone the police immediately and tell them that these strange men have been harrassing your young children, and you're worried about their motives see how quickly the police respond.

"Sending the boys around" simply isn't an option for them, they do not decide who visits your house, only you can decide that

also as previously mentioned "If you don't pay £XXX by xx/xx/xx they may pass the debt on to someone" good, it may be someone who has a clue about the way the system works. Without an agreement or a court judgement, they have no authority whatsoever