Barclay card taken money from account - but i've made payments!!! HELP

dixxychick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a barclay card and a barclays account. I placed money aside for childcare in barclays savings account and went to withdraw but barclays had transferred to my current account then paid barclay card 400 pounds. Three months ago i agreed to make reduced payments of £50 a month for 12 months and they agreed to reduce my interest during this period... they have reduced my interest rate and have taken £50 by direct debit for the last three months

Are they entitled to set-off my accounts in this way with an agreement in place... can anyone advise on a letter I can send to claim this money back...????

Please help

I have a barclay card and a barclays account. I placed money aside for childcare in barclays savings account and went to withdraw but barclays had transferred to my current account then paid barclay card 400 pounds. Three months ago i agreed to make reduced payments of £50 a month for 12 months and they agreed to reduce my interest during this period... they have reduced my interest rate and have taken £50 by direct debit for the last three months

Are they entitled to set-off my accounts in this way with an agreement in place... can anyone advise on a letter I can send to claim this money back...????

Please help

They are entitled to use the right of set off but I would argue that you have actually complied with their request every month and therefore they have no right to do so.

I think you need to argue that the money is for childcare so since you have no childcare, you will, if they do not return the money, be dropping off your child to the nearest branch of Barclays every single day for the amount of time that you would be paying for ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Hi Dixxy,

You are always at risk of such a set-off when you owe money to a card and have other bank accounts with the same banking group.

Open a new a/c outside the Barclays group so you can safely pay in money and leave it there for when required by you.

You could try complaining to Barclays about this but I really doubt you'll get anywhere, particularly after the set-off.

If you DO want to complain, do so on the basis that you and BC had an agreement that you'd pay so much per month and you kept to this.

Confirm that the money taken was ear-marked for child care and their actions will cause you severe problems.

Tell them, if they refuse to refund it, you will raise a formal complaint with the FOS.

Send to Barclays Head Office by Rec'd Del'y and keep copies of all letters.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

have a quick visit to Abbey's website and open a account and you could have a new one within the week, Abbey dont seem to want to see ID and stuff and if you accepted they send out the details straight away, which then leads you to having a separate account where no one without your authorisation can take the money

thanks all. i'm certainly going to complain! I really do need this money for childcare!! I'll let you know if I get anywhere! - i've also applied for another account.. feels a little like i need to keep a locked box under my bed. Aren't there any loyalty benefits or indeed any benefits for being with banks anymore?

Hi DC,

LOYALTY !! Sorry but I think that fell out of fashion some time back, not just with banks, but with many businesses that used to value your custom.

Right, so you ARE going to complain - good. Draft a brief letter to Barclays and send it to their HO:-

Barclays Bank plc

Head office customer relations

1 churchill place

london

e14 5hp

Include the points I made in post #3 above but also mention that this is having an immediate and severe financial impact leaving you unable to pay for childcare services, which are vital for your employment and income.

Tell them, as well as making a formal complaint to the FOS, you will contact your MP and the press, to highlight how the bank have unilaterally reneged on an agreement to which you had kept.

Of course, you should base your letter on YOUR view of matters, not on my very brief understanding of events.

If you need help with the letter, just shout. :)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi DC,

LOYALTY !! Sorry but I think that fell out of fashion some time back, not just with banks, but with many businesses that used to value your custom.

Right, so you ARE going to complain - good. Draft a brief letter to Barclays and send it to their HO:-

Barclays Bank plc

Head office customer relations

1 churchill place

london

e14 5hp

Include the points I made in post #3 above but also mention that this is having an immediate and severe financial impact leaving you unable to pay for childcare services, which are vital for your employment and income.

Tell them, as well as making a formal complaint to the FOS, you will contact your MP and the press, to highlight how the bank have unilaterally reneged on an agreement to which you had kept.

Of course, you should base your letter on YOUR view of matters, not on my very brief understanding of events.

If you need help with the letter, just shout. :)

Mate, if they make a complaint to the bank on Financial hardship then if they complain to the bank, the bank sends to letter to the Bank since they have not had the opportunity of answering the letter. I hope I misread that part of the post.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Mate, if they make a complaint to the bank on Financial hardship then if they complain to the bank, the bank sends to letter to the Bank since they have not had the opportunity of answering the letter. I hope I misread that part of the post.

You've completely lost me with this post.

I am suggesting OP writes to bank saying it's actions have caused a severe financial impact. I'm not suggesting a claim for charges is made under the Hardship Rules.

I'm further suggesting that OP tells bank that a complaint is being made to the FOS. Whether it IS made at this stage matters not.

Edited by slick132
ditched the hardship quote

I am suggesting OP writes to bank saying it's actions have caused a severe financial impact. I'm not suggesting a claim for charges is made under the Hardship Rules.

I'm further suggesting that OP tells bank that a complaint is being made to the FOS. Whether it IS made at this stage matters not.

Is being made or WILL be made? Cos the first part comes across as plain and simply lying to the bank from my reading.

Would he not ask the question, await a response, and if he is unhappy, write to the Bank for a Final Response before going to the FOS?

YB,

1. Can you confirm what I've said that comes across as lying to the bank.

2. Can you re-read your post here and confirm if you think it's correct - did you mean to say "FOS" instead of bank somewhere.

Edited by slick132
typo

See above plus the whole paragraph. It is how it comes across

Let's not get bogged down with semantics here. You could help more by clarifying what you mean in your (I think) confusing post. :)

Dixxy should complain to the bank, also telling them that she WILL (at some stage) complain to the FOS.

Before doing that, she can ask the bank for their "final response".