• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

brighthouse question re osc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there sorry this is my first post,im used to introducing myself on forums,but couldnt find the correct section

anyway onto the query,ive been a brighthouse customer for a few years with no major issues as such(other than the obvious (inclusion of osc and dlc and such))

i currently have a tv from britehouse-i have no trouble paying for it but find the osc and dlc disgusting

anyways my current tv has osc on the account-i have asked verbaly in store for it to be removed but have been told that i cant as i used the return goods feature returning a ps3-i had the dlc taken off as i have home insurance

my question is im currently paying 14.98 a week for my tv my local store has recently got the new model tvs in and i have requested an upgrade

,the sales chap automatically added osc and dlc which i didnt mention as the store dont let you have the items if you dont have them both at sign up

been browsing the forums for a while and seen the cover letter to get osc removed-my question is do they have to remove the osc when requested

,the tv is due to be delivered next week with my old one being collected

i have the letter,changed to suit my account printed and ready to go once the tv has been delivered

if it is removed i would end up paying less per week for the newer model tv than im currently paying--there actual cash price for the tv is actually around the same price at online stores ,the intrest rate im lumped with due to a bad credit history

sorry for rambling lol i best sum up what im asking

1.do they have to remove osc when requested

2.can they ask for the tv back if i request the osc removed-i would only have had it a week or so

3.can they change the terms of the credit agreement-its currently over 3 years i can afford it as is even with osc but its pointless paying more than i have to-but can they make it over 2 years to try and bump my weekly payments up

thanks

vj

Violentj your agreement states that you give them 7 days to remove osc. This is entirely optional and they cannot force you to take it for any reasons ., To do so would be breaking the law and as it stands at the moment this is the last thing they would want to do .put it in writing and hand it to them retain a copy if you want to but if you are forceful in your approach then there shouldn't be any problems as they know they are wrong and if you threaten to phone h/o care line they will soon back down .As for dlc this is a different matter . Unless your house insurance covers you they are entitled to refuse to sell to you as this would leave their goods exposed. PADRE

what is osc and dlc?

is this ppi in sheeps clothing?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Optional Service Cover (OSC) and Damage Liabilty Cover (DLC) are simply "pay-as-you-go" weekly services. They are NOT annual policies, nor are you comitted to them for any period longer than 7 days.

As for not being allowed to cancel OSC because the service has been used is total rubbish.

To cancel OSC simply give 7 days WRITTEN notice.

To cancel DLC simply give 7 days WRITTEN notice and notify BrightHouse of your home contents policy (company and policy number).

End of

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Im sorry if i am hijacking your thread Violentj... this is all along the same lines as what you posted about..

I have been told i can't cancel DLC until i take it written proof that the insurance company will pay BH the money left owed if the item was stolen etc.. Before i have just taken the cover note down and that was fine, but new rules were introduced a while back.

Is this not the case??? If not i will be applying for all the DLC i have been forced to pay.

I was also told i could not take off OSC on a tv (which is now fully paid) as i had previously used the return option and retook the tv out again a couple months later (when finances were a bit better).

Im sorry if i am hijacking your thread Violentj... this is all along the same lines as what you posted about..

I have been told i can't cancel DLC until i take it written proof that the insurance company will pay BH the money left owed if the item was stolen etc.. Before i have just taken the cover note down and that was fine, but new rules were introduced a while back.

Is this not the case??? If not i will be applying for all the DLC i have been forced to pay.

I was also told i could not take off OSC on a tv (which is now fully paid) as i had previously used the return option and retook the tv out again a couple months later (when finances were a bit better).

Your home contents insurance policy just needs to cover items subject to a Hire Purchase Agreement that you are responsible for. If someone from your store told you otherwise, they were either a) mis-informed or b) telling porkie-pies. Ask them to confirm it in writing. They won't - because they can't!

And... as stated in my previous post, Optional Service Cover (OSC) and Damage Liabilty Cover (DLC) are simply "pay-as-you-go" weekly services. They are NOT annual policies, nor are you comitted to them for any period longer than 7 days.

Reproduced below is an extract from a statement provided by BrightHouse to CAG

“Optional Service Cover…Customers fully understand their rights and obligations under the agreement. The terms and conditions are fully explained to them before they sign the contract. In addition to the purchase of goods through a Hire Purchase contract, customers may choose to take advantage of Optional Service Cover. This cover is optional, and the customer has the right to cancel it at any time.”

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

so i have been done over (i did want to use another word but thought it might get flagged, lol)

I think i will take your advise and pop in to ask them to put what i was told about the DLC in writing.. to be fair, the advisor that "advised" us about the DLC change is quite intimidating and likes to think she is the boss, but isn't.. I think a call to head office first might be in order..

Thank you very much Lefty x

so i have been done over (i did want to use another word but thought it might get flagged, lol)

I think i will take your advise and pop in to ask them to put what i was told about the DLC in writing.. to be fair, the advisor that "advised" us about the DLC change is quite intimidating and likes to think she is the boss, but isn't.. I think a call to head office first might be in order..

Thank you very much Lefty x

Yes. Don't take "no" for an answer! If you already have suitable home contents insurance, cancel the DLC policy at once.

And, by the way, you may like to point out this little nugget to them...

If BrightHouse recently made a change to their DLC terms and conditions (which forms part of the over-all terms and conditions) then WHY were you not given written notice, as per their OWN terms and conditions?

"...E - INSURERS RIGHTS

(4) The Insurers may vary any of the terms of this DLC policy, with written notice to you. If you object in writing within 30 days of this notice, then the current terms of this DLC policy shall continue..."

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Lefty . They Haven't Changed Their Policy ,and As Long As You Can Show Them Your Home Insurance Policy Covers H.p Then They Will Not Put Dlc On. As You Know I Mentioned This A Few Months Back That This Is The Only Contentious Point That Could Create Problems For The Company , In As Much As If Say You Are 4 Weeks Late They Won't Honour The Dlc Policy But Will Take The 4 Weeks Money For It. . Surely Someone Can Get This Sorted Out As It Is An Obvious Anomaly Padre

Padre.. i HAVE shown proof of contents insurance many times and this is on our file, but they will NOT take the DLC off until we have written proof from our insurers stating what i previously posted.. They will NOT accept the cover note anymore even if it say's HP is covered.

If they haven't changed their policy, then how are they able to get away with ripping customers off and refusing to take the DLC off even when the customer has proof of home contents insurance?? Is there not somewhere we can complain to, that will listen to the problem and take action? And what are the chances of getting a refund on all the DLC (and OSC) that has been paid wrongly??

nickismee80 ITRULY AM SORRY THAT YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THESE PEOPLE. tHEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THEIR POLICY AND IF THEY DID THEN THEY WOULD HAVE TO NOTIY YOU AS LEFTY SAID .AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR AGREEMENT IT TELLS YOU HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE YOU FOR DLC SO I WOULD JUST GO INTO SHOP WITH THE AMOUNT MINUS DLC AND TELL THEM THAT IS ALL THEY ARE GETTING AND THAT ASK THEM FOR CUSTOMER CARE NUMBER WHICH THEY MUST GIVE YOU AND COMPLAIN TO HEAD OFFICE TELL H/O THAT YOU ARE NOW GOING TO TRADING STANDARDS . THIS WILL GET THEM MOVING . PADRE

Would they have to notify you, as you are taking out a new agreement. Nothing has changed on the agreements we had before this so called change come in force, they still accept our insurance cover note for those items. It is just the new items we have taken out that we have to provide evidence.. (i hope this is making sense)

I think the best way would be to ring head office tomorrow and just enquire about a few things.. like has the delivery charge gone up? I have just been charged £24 delivery charge this week, when the last item i had delivered was £10.. bit of a steep hike in the price!!!

Lefty . They Haven't Changed Their Policy ,and As Long As You Can Show Them Your Home Insurance Policy Covers H.p Then They Will Not Put Dlc On. As You Know I Mentioned This A Few Months Back That This Is The Only Contentious Point That Could Create Problems For The Company , In As Much As If Say You Are 4 Weeks Late They Won't Honour The Dlc Policy But Will Take The 4 Weeks Money For It. . Surely Someone Can Get This Sorted Out As It Is An Obvious Anomaly Padre

Padre

I genuinely believe your heart is in the right place regarding BrightHouse, and you are probably one of the few employees who actually care, and would like to do the right thing for your customers. And I, too, accept there is a small minority of people who simply have no intentions of paying for goods... But, this is the risk BrightHouse take, and their business model allows for this...

But, just like Optional Service Cover, Damage Liabilty Cover is null and void after just ONE day of late payment, and not 28 (or four weeks as you say.) It is just a weekly pay-as-you-go service, and nothing more. And as for charging late payers "arrears" is, in my opinion, DEFINITELY wrong and immoral - if not illegal.

I will use this example...

If, for instance, I allowed my car insurance to lapse through non-payment, continued to drive, then had an accident or claim, I would be in big trouble. I couldn't offer to pay the arrears, and then be magically re-insured for a period in the past. No. You're either insured or you're not. And - in the case of DLC (or OSC for that matter) - you're NOT - and by being forced to make back payments on the policy cannot mean you WERE! It's absolute nonesense. Actually, it's downright OUTRAGEOUS! :evil:

nickismee80

You can make a formal complaint to the FSA regarding BrightHouse and their DLC "policies"...

However, the FSA will not have BrightHouse (or Caversham Finance) listed as a UK provider of insurance. DLC "policies" are underwritten by CAVERSHAM INSURANCE (MALTA) LTD - a sister company of Caversham Finance, based (obviously) in Malta, in an attempt to circumvate (and possible confuse) any UK legislation.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

LEFTY Thats my point it definitely is wrong and immoral and i had hoped would be illegal but they are getting away with it and raking in thousands of pound. SAY YOU HAD 4/5 AGREEMENTS ONE BEING A LAPTOP and you are 4 weeks late something happens to the laptop and because you are not covered it is a failed dlc claim when you come in to pay the account on the 5th week having not been covered for any of your agreements they still take 5weeks payment on all the agreements that dont have a claim on them although they weren'tcovered this past 4 weeks . To me that is stealing and downright dishonesty ,but they do this on a dailly basis . I had hoped that you would have got this cleared up with the standards agency. PADRE .

• 2 weeks later...

hi ,just an update,i sent the letter off and osc was cancelled with no fuss or arguments(to my surprise) none of the "you have used the returns policy so you cant" or "its at the managers discretion" ,i also took my insurance policy in,they did try to tell me they had changed policy on the dlc,but i argued the toss said look it clearly states hp stuff is covered in this booklet and heres the letter showing the dates im covered-

after some umming and ahh ing and nipping off to the managers office

she came out and said"well we will honor it this time" trying to make out they were doing me a favour

but all said and done i am now paying less for a better tv than i had

it really does help sending the letters and standing your ground-dont be intimidated,they dont know what to do when there bully tactics dont work

well done

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...