Has anyone flown long haul with American Airlines recently?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I'm flying to the states in a couple of weeks and am travelling with American Airlines out of necessity (cheap and available). I haven't flown with them for years but they used to be awful. I'm just wonderig if anyone has travelled with them recently and how it was, mainly wondering if they have individual tv in head rests like most other carriers do now or do they still make about 5 rows share one tv with no choice of channels? Also, do they charge you for headphones etc?

Thanks!

Mungy Pup

I want to live in a world where chickens are free to cross the road without their intentions being questioned. :razz:

cant answer your questions because I hate flying, I do hope you have a fabby holiday though

A bat that hates flying:confused::p.

Sorry mungypup, can't help you either.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Economy Class

Room to relax

Sit back in your generously sized seat and soak up the superb in-flight entertainment. Or make use of the powerpoints that feature extensively throughout economy to listen to your CDs, watch your DVD player, work on your laptop or recharge your mobile phone's batteries. Fly economy class with us and discover that getting there can be almost as good as being there.

• Overhead screens showing a variety of current movie releases, as well as news, great documentaries and comedy.
  • Seatback video with twelve channels of programming and movies.
  • Complimentary headsets.
  • Choice of main course and beverage service.
  • Six-way adjustable leather headrest.
  • Sliding tray table that gives option to set a laptop, beverage or book in the most convenient position.

Whether you're already a loyal American Airlines frequent flyer, or thinking about trying us for the first time, here are some great reasons to fly American Airlines from the UK. We offer a range of discount airfares to destinations such as New York, Boston, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Dallas / Fort Worth, Raleigh Durham, Las Vegas, Washington and Los Angeles, as well as a range of Business fares and AAdvantage offers. From discount airfares and special offers, to destinations across the Americas, you'll find everything you need on AA.com United Kingdom.

Economy Class passengers can avail of seatback video with 12 channels of programming and movies* or overhead movie screens and powerports are located extensively throughout Economy giving you the freedom to listen to your CD/DVD player, recharge your mobile phone, or work on your laptop. On our 777 aircraft, Economy Class passengers can also avail of seatback video with 12 channels of programming and movies.

Where are you flying from and to Mungypup? I flew AA a few years ago and found the crew a little abrupt and unhelpful when a couple of passengers needed some assistance getting past the trolley to get to the Loo.

Remember to always, when sat down, keep your seatbelt on. Leave it loose enough to be able to move around, it will stop you coming out of your seat during some turbulance. Have a look at what happened the other day here:

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Turbulence hurts 26 on US flight

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I fly from Manchester to Chicago. I have been with them a few times, but not for years. I hated them to be honest, I swore I'd never fly with them again. The only airline that I've flown with that's worse is Monarch. I'm hoping that they have changed. I know there is a chance that they might have overhead screens and you having to share (which is how it was the last time I flew with them), but I was hoping somone would be able to tell me if this is likely or if they have upgraded the aircrafts that fly this route. I'm flying alone too, so the idea of not being able to choose what's on the entertainment whilst being stuck on a flight for 8 hours isn't an appealing one. I don't like flying at the best of times! :(

Thanks for your replies guys!

Mungy Pup

I want to live in a world where chickens are free to cross the road without their intentions being questioned. :razz:

If anyone has flown the manchester to Chicago route with AA I would be very gratefull for advice, although I'm not surprised there don't seem to be many who have. I too would have chosen a different carrier if poss lol! I think it's going to be a case of stuff my hand luggage with books, maybe hit myself with them to induce what will hopefully be an 8 hour sleep.

Mungy Pup

stopped off to change planes in chicago a few years ago - they had great pizza and loos that flushed themselves when you stood up (that's pretty common now but then it was a big wow!) - and the paper on the loo seat (another first for me) automatically progressed to new paper - i was amazed....... almost missed my connection!

try the pizza

Hi mungypup

I flew M/cr-Chicago with AA end of last year. It was no better, no worse than any other carrier. Sorry, can't recall the amenities; I don't watch the films anyway, they're generally all much of a muchness, a good book is far more entertaining & isn't all airline food just flavoured cardboard?

I've flown the US routings quite frequently in recent years & always preferred AA - they always used to have the latest films (sometimes pre-UK release), good food (for airilines) & older staff who tended to be more patient etc. but I think recently their service has declined somewhat (in line with others). However they would still have a hard job to be worse than BA (long & short haul) & Monarch (only flown short haul & that was bad enough!), both of whom are on my 'don't fly unless you can't get another flight' list.

IMO - flights M/cr to US: Delta are on the same standard as AA, Continental slightly better.

All long haul flights are to be endured rather than enjoyed & anyone who tells you otherwise obviously has a fetish about crowded lifts.

Anyway enjoy your hols, endure the flight & wahtever it's like don't let it spoil your hol - it's only a means to an end. :)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

lol, I hate Monarch. Went to the Maldives with them a few years ago, it was hell!!! You would think that just being on a plan for 11 hours would be bad enough on it's own and could not be made anyworse, I was wrong! I call them Monaaaarrrrch. I'm not fussed about the food, all airline food it yuck, but the inflight entertainment does make a difference to me, especially as I'm travelling alone, and books don't drown out the noise of crying children (that I always seem to get sat near). I will be taking books anyway just in case. Wish it was a holiday, visiting my parents, my mother had a stroke so going over to see how they are coping. It was a mild stroke so she should recover fully, time will tell, it's still stressfull though. I will need something to take my mind off the fact that I'm flying, and worry of how they are.

Mungy Pup

Sorry to hear it's a mercy trip, mungypup - hope all goes well.

BTW - good earplugs are always my essential.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I did less than two years ago and it wasn't a great experience, but not the worst i might add. The food was ok, nothing special just standard Airplane chaw and the staff were abrupt and less than helpful (5 minutes to answer a call for assistance) which is something you don't want on a 22 hour flight from London to Hawaii. From what I can remember the inflight entertainment was nothing to shout about.

I expect my wife and I will visit the USA again soon but will only fly AA if the flights are too good to miss even then they will need to be an amazing deal.

Looks like my fears have been answered. This is going to be hell on plane. I hate flying at the best of times, and count on the in-flight entertainment to at least take my mind off it.

AMERICAN AIRLINES review : 10 August 2009 : by A Boughey (UK)

Trip Rating : 4/10

grn_bar_4.gif

Recommended:

tic-2223.gif

Value for Money:

tic-2223.gif

Cabin Flown:

Economy

MAN-ORD-MCO return with American. The ground staff at MAN welcomed us to American Airline's "Flagship Service" to Chicago, so expectations were heightened - only to be dashed onboard by a seriously tired and dirty cabin on the 767-300. It was like going back in time! Seats very uncomfortable - however reasonable leg room. Entertainment terrible - no personal seatback screen. Larger screens throughout cabin, as first seen in 1982 or so. Service OK, nothing amazing - outbound crew better than inbound. To call this "Flagship Service" is a little misguided when compared to Virgin, BA, Qantas and Cathay Pacific, all of which I have used recently. Any alcoholic drink was not complimentary, even with the meal. Internal flights were functional and not much different to the international flight standard. All in all, American had more of a feel of a very poor budget airline than a national carrier - well below expectations.

:mad::(:(:(

Mungy Pup

I've found the best cure for bad airline service is to have a couple of drinks (a healthy mix of Gin, Whiskey and coke works best), put headphones on then pass out for a couple of hours.

I've got a 20 hour flight with Cathay Pacific coming up and intend on having a couple of free drinks on the flight. I can not fault Cathay Pacific in anyway it's just that I get bored flying and it helps pass the time.

Very true, but I keep watching all these airline programs and I'm scared now that if I overdo the drinks they won't let me on the plane! I'll have to be a good girl until the plane has took off. A couple at the airport shouldn't do any harm as long as I resist the urge to drown my fear.

I've never flown with Cathy Pacific. You off anywhere nice?

Mungy Pup

As long as you don't go OTT you should be ok with having a couple of drinks beforehand. It's become a ritual of mine now, couple of pints of Guinness before the flight and a couple of shots on the plane.

My wife and I are off to Cairns, Australia for a couple of weeks. We booked the holiday at the start of the year before I was made redundant so to say that i am looking forward to it would be an understatement!

Aw, that sounds nice! Sorry to hear about the redundancy, I was made redundant early last year so I know how hard it can be. I hope you have a really nice time.

Mungy Pup