Think i done a boo boo :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok so i am thick, last year? year before? i can't remember which, i was contacted by capquest about a debt from around the year 2000 (probably not even got the letter still :( ) and because i was worried i have been making payments of £5 a month to them - original debt something like £700 including x years interest from littlewoods catalogue.

am struggling at the moment financially. i'm looking at ways of saving money each month on expenditure no matter how little.

is it too late to do anything about this with capquest or do i just keep paying?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as there is a gap of at least 6 years ANYWHERE in the life of the debt when you haven't paid, then it will still be statute barred......nothing can unbar it. Even recent payments.... Send them this letter by recorded delivery - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Was there a period of six years before you started paying? If so stop payments.

i'm not sure. i've been up here since 2002 october(scotland) and i think the debt was from when i lived in yorkshire so 2001 at a guess.

just as a thought, do i put in i want a refund of what i have paid recently? or have i kissed that goodbye?

this is how i've reworded...

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

There was a period of 6 years where there was no acknowledgement or claim made of this debt. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to CPUTR2008

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

ok had a reply today

Dear Mrs XXXX

our client : littlewoods finance company limited

ac no XXXXXXX

balance £498.32

we thank you for your correspondance and respond as follows

we can confirm that the last payment made to this account was on 3rd august 09. therefore under the limitations act 1980 this account is not statute barred, as a period of five years or more has not passed.

Payment is now due in full. Please contact us on XXXXX to arrange immediate repayments

ok they obviously didn't read the letter right so what do i write back please?

help :(

It might be worthwhile sending Littlewoods a SAR to get copies of all your statements to see whether there is a five year gap.

Agreed. This will cost you £10, send a postal order and do not sign the letter, just print your name.

:!: Activ Kapital 2009 - £316 debt cancelled due to no credit agreement

:!: TNC Legal Collections (Swinton) - £61 written off due to complaint being upheld with the FOS

:D Be Happy and treat people exactly how you would like to be treated

:mad: Don't let people take advantage of you and stand up for your rights and beliefs

:p You only live once so don't take things so seriously

i'm pretty sure there is 42man yes, i remember paying them (and thinking i had cleared the money owed) when i lived in beeford, i moved out of there in october 2001 and i didn't start paying them until last year sometime.

It might be worthwhile sending Littlewoods a SAR to get copies of all your statements to see whether there is a five year gap.

Is there a template for this? and what do i write to capquest in the mean time please?