You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

mandy72

Big US medical bill

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3985 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi.

I know a couple of pension age who travelled to the US last year. While they were there, one of them unfortunately suffered a heart attack and was taken to hospital. (They are OK now.)

Unbeknown to them at the time, their worldwide travel insurance (which they took out themselves online) wasn't valid as their particular policy excluded travel to the US.

They have now received a medical bill for approx. £160,000 and they have been informed that they are liable for this.

They do not have the money to pay this. At best, they could only offer a small monthly payment (where it would take tens of years to pay this off)and those trying to recover the money may very well not be satisfied with this.

Does anyone have any advice?

Does anyone know how far the US creditor could take this? What recovery action they could take? How easy it would be to enforce a UK Judgement against them from the US? And so on.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

(I hope I've posted this in the right section. Please accept my apologies if I haven't.)

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions but I have a question for you/them.....who sold them the insurance? If it was the travel agent who also booked the holiday then surely they have been irresponsible selling a policy that didn't cover USA when they obviously knew the travel destination.

Someone will be along that can help but it would be helpful to know this policy was purchased independently of the travel agent.

Oh & welcome by the way :smile:

Hi. Thanks for replying. They booked the insurance online themselves. Unfortunately, they just saw 'Worldwide' and didn't see that underneath it says 'Excluding US, Canada and Caribbean'. The policy wasn't missold to them.

£160,000 seems a lot of money for health care and bummer about the insurance. That's why you must be so careful.

I believe there is no way they can enforce collection i.e send someone round,take you to court as its different laws. There is no agreement between the US and the UK.

Not 100% on how the US system works, Did they sign anything whilst in the hospital?

August 2010 - Debt Relief Order Ends! :)

Complaint with FOS re: Bank Charges - Financial Hardship

Email me for advice on DRO/DMP

If I have been of any help, Please tickle my scales

Countries with reciprocal agreements on enforcement of judgments:

Countries covered by the Administration of Justice Act 1920

Antigua and Barbuda

Bahamas

Barbados

Belize

Bermuda

Botswana

British Indian Ocean Territory

British Virgin Islands

Cayman Islands

Cocos Islands

Republic of Cyprus

Dominica

Falkland Islands

Fiji

Gibralter

The Gambia

Ghana

Grenada

Guyana

Hong Kong

Jamaica

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Malawi

Malaysia

Malta

Mauritius

Montserrat

New Zealand

Nigeria

Territory of Norfolk Island

Papua New Guinea

St Christopher and Nevis

St Helena

St Lucia

St Vincent and the Grenadines

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

Solomon Islands

Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia in Cyprus

Sri Lanka

Swaziland

Tanzania

Tasmania

Trinidad and Tobago

Turks and Caicos Islands

Tuvalu

Uganda

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Countries covered by the Foreign Judgments (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act1933

Australia

Canada - Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, North West Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory - and any judgment made by the Federal Court of Canada

Guernsey

India - States of Andhra Pradesh (excepting the Scheduled Areas), Assam (except the Tribal Areas), Bihar, Bombay, Kerala, Madhya, Pradesh, Madras, Mysore, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal; and the Union Territories of Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Tripura, Manipur and Andaman and Nicobar Islands and any judgment made by the Federal or higher courts

Isle of Man

Israel

Jersey

Pakistan

Surinam

Tonga

thanks to sequenci,

unless they have already a judegment against them

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)