Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4119 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

i have just recieved a letter from cap quest for a sum of £1146.50 the debt relates to an unpaid balance due under the credit agreement dated 01 oct 98, the rights and duties were passed to the creditor on 29th sept 06. included in the letter is a stat demand for bankruptcy petiton.

I last made a payment in 2001 to littlewoods. I have had a couple of letters from capquest but never acknowledged them. I am worried about losing my home as i am unable to pay this amount as i am a single mother 0f 2 young children and money is tight. Am i right in thinking if i reply with in the 18 days the following letter it will go away as they are just using bully boy tactics

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No 4563210025897412

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

I have never acknowledged the debt so unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

We await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

That's the letter. Report them to the OFT and TS as soon as possible. Do not phone these losers and never sign your name.

Try not to panic. You won't lose your home and after that letter they should crawl under a rock.

Andy...

thank's i'll send that to them tomorrow (remembering not to sign it) should i also enclose a paragraphy stating that i will be sending a copy of both letters to the OFt and TS? i presume TS is trading standards who are oft?

Good evening and welcome/

As you are aware these people try to scare people in to paying.

Also you must report them and you must take action and have this set a side,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/170865-stat-demand-capquest-costs.html

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

If you have received a stat demand then you must apply for it to be set aside to do this you will need forms 6.4 and 6.5 from here Forms

This needs to be done at the nearest county court that deals with bankruptcy to find your nearest one have a look here Her Majesty's Courts Service - Court Information and Addresses

Also have a read of this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/205487-capquest-statutory-demand-urgent-2.html#post2241838

saint

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

Read the treads as advice down load the forms need any help with them shout

Also we are aware how you feel, however be assured that we will help you to get through this.

So take control take action,

The temerity of these people (DCA), they just send out SD them and hope that you will not take action

TOTHEM IT IS THE NUMBER GAMES DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.

Please sleep well you are in safe hands

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

please do not take my word for anything please do your own research All that i make comments on are done in good faith and to the best of my knowledge

is it me or are we seeing a rash of Stat demands from this lowlife company again, one would have thought they would have learnt by now, it's time that the OFT got involved

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

is it me or are we seeing a rash of Stat demands from this lowlife company again, one would have thought they would have learnt by now, it's time that the OFT got involved

They do seem to come in batches

Rather like buses you dont see one for a while then they all come at once

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

the debt is well stat barred so i cant see the set aside failing

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have sent my letter to capquest as above asking them to prove it, i'm now looking at doing the 6.4 and 6.5 form to have it set aside. The forms are asking for dates and times of hearings etc. my letter from capquest only gives the name of the court nothing else, also the letter was sent by normal post so how can they prove when the 18 days.

Hi LL....apologies as I hadn't seen this before....firstly if you haven't already PLEASE report this to the OFT...you will need to set this aside at the nearest county court to you that handle bankruptcies...please note that you should ring the court named on the demand to check they handle bankruptcies, if it isn't then it could possibly be an abuse of the process, you've got 18 days from the date you received it to set it aside, and you'll need to submit forms 6.4 (set aside) and 6.5 (affadavit).....they are trying to collect on a debt that is statute barred !!! set this aside !!! Using the Insolvency Service to collect debts is generally frowned on by the judiciary.....(let alone the debt being statute barred).....

You will get a date once you take the forms 6.4 and 6.5 to the court (along with the original sat demand) - take copies of everything....Capquest will NOT turn up to court !!! Another debt collection agency had requirements placed on them earlier this year for doing JUST this - The Office of Fair Trading: OFT imposes requirements on 1st Credit over debt collection practices

you can find the forms electronically here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/86067-getting-statutory-demand-set.html

And you will find PLENTY of examples of affadavits in here - DCA Legal Successes - The Consumer Forums

If you aren't sure of what to do then please shout...you MUST report this to the OFT....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

It is likely CQ KNOW that this is statute barred, they are hoping you will not know your rights and will crawl under a rock.....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html