• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lib Dems pledge Parliamentary motion for automatic bank charges paybacks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg has pledged legislation on bank charges to back the MSE campaign to ensure everyone who's had an unfair charge will get their money back without having to ask.

This radical move is the first time politicians have got directly involved in the campaign to reclaim bank charges. It's an unprecedented step, potentially meaning a guaranteed payout to millions of people, totalling over five billion pounds.

It came about in an unusual way. Clegg (pictured, right) is one of the 3.5 million recipients of the MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) weekly money tips email. In it, three weeks ago, he spotted an open letter to David Cameron where MSE asked the Tory leader to back the campaign for automatic refunds.

While Cameron has not replied, Clegg, and his Shadow Chancellor Vince Cable, in a letter to MSE this week (see full text below), have promised to table a Parliamentary motion after the summer recess.

That motion will require banks and building societies to automatically compensate charges victims if and when "scandalous" fees are adjudged unfair.

Currently, a landmark test case on fees is now at the House of Lords, with a decision expected in autumn. It'll decide whether fairness rules apply to the charges of up to £35 a time for going beyond your overdraft limit.

The banks, arguing fairness rules do not apply, have already lost in the High Court and the Court of Appeal.

'Consumer revolution'

Martin Lewis, creator of MoneySavingExpert.com, from where 6.2 million free bank charges reclaiming template letters have been downloaded (see the Bank Charges guide), says: "Outrageously, politicians as a tribe have kept their lips firmly shut in the three and a half years since the bank charges campaign started.

"That in itself is a surprise as it's been the biggest consumer revolution since the Poll Tax riots.

"Yet, finally, one party has had the balls to take a stance, and it's an unexpectedly brave one, pushing reclaiming to the max. Now it's up to Messrs Brown and Cameron to respond.

"It's about time the major political parties told us their stance. I want them to agree to automatic pay-outs, but at the very least, I want to know if they reject the idea."

Nick Clegg's full email to Martin Lewis

Dear Martin,

As a subscriber to your weekly email, I saw your recent comments on unfair banking charges. I couldn't agree more with you about the scandalous nature of these charges.

The Liberal Democrats have taken a strong stance on this for a long time - in particular, in our manifesto for complete reform of Britain's banking and financial institutions "A New Deal for the City", launched in May 2008 where we stated:

"The treatment of charges by the banks borders on the scandalous. It is a continuation of the practice described above: a protected industry seeking to maximise profits by exploiting the weakness of individual consumers who lack information and sophisticated knowledge of products or legal advice. The principle should be established that bank charges must be transparent and cost based."

In your email, you made a further suggestion that banks should have to pay back all unfair charges automatically if the courts do rule against them. This struck me as an extremely good idea that we should do all we can to put in place. Vince Cable, my shadow Chancellor, and I would be delighted to support your campaign.

We will put a motion before Parliament setting out our support for your idea as soon as the recess is over, which will hopefully put pressure on the government and the banks to act to return the money they so unfairly took from customers.

Finally, I'm really looking forward to receiving the manifesto you've been compiling on your site regarding other consumer issues. And I'm pleased to be able to let you know we will be having a debate on consumer protection at our conference in the autumn, where we hope to adopt some strong new policies for our manifesto.

All the best,

nc.jpg Commenting on the letter, Martin says: "For people who are literate, numerate and with internet access, bank charges reclaiming should be easy and free once the current hold on reclaiming is lifted.

"Yet for many with financial phobias, mental health problems, literacy issues or simply members of a financial underclass, unless we have automatic payouts, they won't get anything. That's not justice. It's the main reason I think Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems need applauding for this stance.

"If we don't get this, then you can almost guarantee banks will use delaying tactics and try their damndest to not payout.

"Take the current mass of action to reclaim payment protection insurance. There, in cases where some banks lose nearly 100% of claims that get to the Financial Ombudsman, they still reject all claims as a default position when people first come to them - using language designed to dissuade people from taking it further."

Martin Lewis' open letter to David Cameron, 22 July, 2009 (which sparked the Lib Dems into action)

Dear Mr. Cameron,

I was delighted your party's banking white paper published this week, said bank charges were unfair, to quote: "There've been numerous examples of unfair treatment of consumers – the misselling of payment protection insurance and unfair bank charges."

It's the first time I've seen any major party say this. The only shame is it's too late by three years; 593,156 PPI reclaiming & 6,126,175 bank charges reclaiming template letters; and up to £2 billion of payouts.

It was back in the early days when people really needed your help, then bank accounts were being forced shut, and customers who attempted to reclaim were mistreated.

Forgive my slight scepticism that it's not a surprise to see the political elite calling these charges unfair now banks have become bogeymen, and we're near victorious at the final test case stage at the House of Lords.

So I want to ask you to support an act of real political bravery... these unlawful bank charges were taken from people's accounts without asking. No other companies have the power to take our cash in this way; if your energy supplier has a dispute with you, it needs to go to court to get the money.

So surely once it's finally legally decide they’re unfair the only right decision is for everyone who’s had bank charges to automatically be paid back the money without needing to ask for it?

Yes, it will cost. Perhaps £3 billion to £5 billion, but this is about justice, and with the nation’s finances in such a dire state, what better way to immediately stimulate the economy than putting this money back into real people’s hands.

Yours sincerely,

Martin Lewis, www.moneysavingexpert.com

Consumer revolution

Bank charges reclaiming has been on hold for over two years for most, pending the result of the test case. Yet in that time, over one million claims have been lodged by consumers hoping to get in the queue for when the floodgates re-open.

It's estimated over £1 billion was paid out to charges victims before the hold.

However, banks must still hear your case if you have serious financial problems (see the Bank Charges Hardship guide for template letters).

The Government has remained quiet on bank charges, even though the reclaiming bandwagon started in late 2005, when the party was already in power.

It stated last month it wants to establish a body to instigate mass group actions (see Govt plans class action body news story) against banks and other financial institutions where compensation is due.

It also plans to appoint a 'consumer advocate' to oversee this process (see the Consumer Advocate blog).

Martin adds: "The Government is in political power, yet it seemingly just wants to introduce another mouth piece to tell it what the problems are.

"We doubt half the people in the street could tell you what's going on. What we need is some political decision-making to solve the problem. The Government has it in its power to sort this, but it hasn't.

"Maybe the fact the other political parties are now stealing a march on it will spur it into action."

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Very True but even if they can cause a discussion in parliament its bound to help the cause.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Anything that can keep this issue at the forefront is a good thing in my mind.

PF

Impressive but it will never happen cause the libdems will never get in

I have to say that stranger things have happend, both labour and the cons ideas are poles apart on how to run the economy, neither which will have a good outcome for the people of this country.... so the eventfull day may be approaching where the lib dems just might snatch it, even if through a hung parliment, which is what I predict will happen

I cant understand why the population is so fearful of the lib dems surely thay can do no worse then labour or the conservatives.

conservatives will be high taxes and interest rates still not forgotten there last outing.

Labour well say no more its all in the media and press.

So i may as well chance my arm with the lib dems because until we give them a go we will never find out if they can do the job.

PF

I cant understand why the population is so fearful of the lib dems

It's not fear, it's the fact that they are the least likely to get in at the next election out of the big three parties

So i may as well chance my arm with the lib dems because until we give them a go we will never find out if they can do the job.

I'm seriously thinking about it, although I can still remember a certain David Steel telling his party conference to go back to their constitiuencies and prepare for parliament... I think we all know what happened

It's not fear, it's the fact that they are the least likely to get in at the next election out of the big three parties

Indeed Ajax but this is the point why are they the least likely,when it has been proven many times the other two cant do a good job in stabilizing this country.

I still believe the government of today is out of touch with the real world

PF