Housing Benefit Overpayment

MissFantastic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In my opinion the overpayment is unrecoverable due to the time taken to process the change of circumstances; had the council done this within the statutory 14 days there would have been little, if any, overpayment. The council had the opportunity to suspend the claim whilst they processed the change and yet they chose not to.

As you have now received the final reply from the council's chief executive you are now able to take this matter to the Local Government Ombudsman who will make the final decision.

Details of how to make a complaint to the Ombudsman can be found here

Do not give up yet!!!:)

No, that is not the right method to appeal a benefit decision.

Once they have looked at it again and confirmed the decision, the OP should appeal to a tribunal in line with the instructions given by the council.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Definately dont give up yet, the fact that they have admitted an official error will go some way in your favour at Tribunal.

Are you receiving any extra advice on this? I would contact any organisation you can such as CAb or ring your local council and ask if they have any Welfare Benefits advisor, these will be people used to representing people at Tribunals and will help you massively.