Whats my ideal response?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, just need some advice

I joined my council's gym in around march and paid the non-contractual amount of 39 pounds. In June, I decided to cancel as the 39 pounds could go somewhere much better then the gym. After paying them on 1st of June, I cancellled the Direct Debit, and never visited them again. In July I recieved a letter from Membership Collection Agency saying that the DD on 1st July did not go through and I am required to pay it. I rang them up and spoke to a daft person as usual who said I need to put it in writing to the council, so on the 23rd June I sent an email to them confirming the cancellation.

Now I got the below today:

Now I know the normal advice to Ignore, Ignore, as the threats are empty ones, but whats the best way dealing with this directly with them, without paying up of course, I live in a household of 9, and last thing I want is them to start ringing and annnoying everyone.

mcaletter.jpg

From a similar problem I am having, Most gym memberships are for 12 months, some 24 months, I do however know of monthly memberships offered by some Gym's.

Most will require you to complete the minimum term before they will allow you to give either 1 months or 3 months notice to cancel, any more than 3 months is considered to be in breach of the CPUTR.

You can however leave before this time if you have medical grounds and can produce to them a doctors note saying that you are unable to use gym facilities for 6 months..

A common mistake made by Gym memberships is that they will say on the form that it is a membership agreement, then when you default or want to leave early or have any grievance, it suddenly turns into a contract!

First thing is to find out how long the minimum term was for?

Then who/how this was financed, as has already been mentioned, you will normally sign up, the gym will get the full terms payment from a credit company, and you will be indebted to that company for the term of the membership.

Then a call to consumer direct explaining the circumstances, who will in turn pass it onto Trading Standards to investigate.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yh the minimum notice is 1 month, which I checked on the agreement, I sent the email on 23rd June, which is adequate enought to provide the notice, the amount should be 78, it should be 39

OK so the minimum notice to cancel is 1 Month, but what is the minimum membership term?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!