NPower and massive increase in bills

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having been a reasonably happy EDF customer on a dual fuel tariff since I moved into my home about 6 years ago, last year I made the mistake of being collared on the doorstep by an NPower salesman who guaranteed his tariffs could beat what I was paying. It really wasn't a convenient time (gone 9pm) with dinner getting cold I stupidly signed up for gas and electric rather than slinging him off my doorstep.

Scroll to April of this year where I received a letter from Npower telling me that I was nearly £300 in credit across gas and electric - brilliant, only to receive a bill the next day for electric putting me £700 in arrears despite paying by DD. My old EDF combined DD was £90 a month so set up same for Npower only to find that my usage according to Npower has trebled.

I have queried the bill with Npower who have basically said "you have used the units - tough", I totted up the units which appear to have been averaging 33+ a day, and have taken daily readings for almost 2 months where out highest usage (including having an aircon unit on) was barely 13. They tell me their meters are accurate but something is wrong somewhere, especially as nothing is left on standby, low energy bulbs etc

They have done a meter check and say no problem found, so I am at a loss what to do given that my direct debit has now gone to over £300 a month from £48 to catch up.

I have 6 years of EDF bills and in that time NEVER spent over £50 a month on electricity, nothing has changed at the house - 2 people, no kids, no jacuzzi - nothing. I have spoken to their energy saving team and ran through what we are running and even they were at a loss. Modern 3 bed house.

They are dragging their feet and "still looking into this" some 4 months later, in the interim I am struggling.

Does anyone have any tips or can tell me what avenues are open to me? Given the 6 years track record with EDF and the fact I got a £300 rebate when I left would indicate to NPower that there is an issue somewhere but as they are getting their money they arent in a hurry to resolve it.

Were proper readings used when you switched to NPOwer, or were estimates used? If estimates, it is possible EDF undercharged you and NPower started your account with them on an estimated reading that was far lower than what it really was.

The readings were definitely taken and given to EDF when we closed the account - on the final bill it is "actual" rather than estimated and we also received a rebate.

The worrying thing is that something is wrong somewhere, I am not technical enough to know where though. We are in the same house, nothing added equipment wise and yet according to Npower our usage has almost trebled.

There were large price risis in 08 but this doesn't explain your problem. They generally reasses for balance and consumption over six months.

As above need more info...

Do you have an old dial meter? Has it been mis-read when you changed supply or now?

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

the npower dd reassessment criteria well quite difficult to understand but i will give it a go.

The consumption year= 9 months, they don't not include the summer quarter months. then they look at the overall yearly consumptive history divide by 12 and then produce a KWH figure per month and apply all price changes and tariffs to the account factor this forward by 12 months = the price you pay.

God baffling or what.