Bankruptcy question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest suziedarkness

After a long hard think about things, I (and my ex) have decided that the only way forward is to go Bankrupt.

To cut a long story short, marriage broke down, home was repo'd in 2007 leaving 2 further then secured loans which werent paid because the original mortgage co ripped us off.

Now one of the secured loans has ccj granted in May which I have only just found out about as I moved house in March.

I suspect that the other company will follow suit shortly and the debts run into tens of thousands that we have no hope in hell of paying.

Now my life is very complicated and pretty miserable at the moment and the thougt of BR is scaring me.

Now an important question I have is this: I bank presently with Co-op, just a basic account. Now once I file BR I know that they will freeze my account. I dont have any money put away and at present I have no job as such. I was employed but lost my job recently and so I registered as self employed so that I dont loose my tax credits because this is all I have to live on at present. My intention is to find work for myself and try and set up my own business, I have a couple of little jobs on the go at the moment on a SE basis, nothing major but with my depression and stressful state of mind I cant face being an employee.

Does anyone know how long they are likely to keep my account frozen and how I will be able to get my tax credits. I have 2 young children so this is worrying me.

Suzie

Suzie, I've been through the same as what your facing.

Relationship breakdown, redundancy, negative equity, massive loans & credit cards, lack of work out in the field, and a right inappreciative cow of a mother to go along with it.

It was a difficult time, I declared myself Bankrupt on March 2008. It was incredibly daunting up until the time I left the court with the BR order in my hand...

... I felt like I had a golden ticket to a new life of freedom from hounding creditors and sleepless nights. And that's exactly what it was.

The pleasure you will get from being able to call your creditors and giving them the BR Case Number is immense. And known that when it comes to calculate your pennies you don't need to think about credit repayments.

Regarding your situation with kids & lack of work, you should be on JSA, you should also be receiving Child Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, and Housing Benefit. All these benefits add up to an awful lot more than Tax Credits AFAIK, you should speak to the CAB to be sure you're claiming the right things.

I am a little concerned that you "told" the IRS that you are self employed, please remember that there are suitable benefits for chapesses in your boat and not being 100% straight with the IRS is a very big wrist-slappy thing to do, but if you are going to come clean with them, let them send you a tax credits bill before you go to court, so that you can integrate it into the BR order.

But as I say, that BR order truly is a golden ticket to a new lease on life!

BTW, if the Co-Op close your account or the OR asks it be frozen, you can get a Cash Card Account with Visa Connect Debit Card from Braclays without them doing a credit check - undischarged bankrupts are eligible :)

• Haha 1

When you become bankrupt the OR freezes all accounts and credit facilities. (They usually take any cash that is in there as well so remember to draw it out - and don't have it on you if/when you go to see the OR).

You will be able to ask them to unfreeze a basic account, or to open a new one with a different bank if you can't keep it. Most bankrupts seem to use that Co op account so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Guest suziedarkness

thankyou folks for your replies, I appreciate it.

Izools, I am not doing anything underhanded with regard to IRS, I left PAYE employments (long story) and because my life is such a complete mess at the moment and I dont think I would be able to hold a job down working for someone, my mind is all over the place. I have registered myself as self employed because I have every intention of working for myself and I do have a couple of little jobs that I do on a self employed basis that I fully intend to declare. Its only been 3 weeks since I left my employment I will notify tax credits this week that I left my job and have registered as SE.

Money is very tight and I am trying to raise the £500 and as soon as I do, then its off to the court I go. I am scared like I said before but I dont feel I have any other choice and maybe this is the way forward.

George, thankyou for your info on bank accounts. I already have just a basic account with co-op which I know is fine for BR's but my main concern is how long they will freeze this account for because its where my child benefit and tax credits get paid. If they freeze I dont know how I will be able to get my money to buy food etc as this is my main source of income at the moment. I did think about opening another account before I file, but someone said that I cant do that

Hi, it is the banks that freeze your "Normal" account not the OR. Ib fact when you first speak to the OR they will ask you if there is a particular account (must be in credit) that you want left open. Also The OR will not take any money that is required for your basic household bills only what is deemed to be savings. They will write a letter to the bank within a few days stating that the OR has no interest in the account

Guest suziedarkness

Thanks debtinfo,

I take it then that the co-op will freeze the account but it should only be frozen for a week or two until the OR writes to them? Obviously, whilst it is frozen, I wont be able to draw out my child benefit etc.

Guest suziedarkness

Ok, got another little question. I have had provident loans for a few years, you know what its like, easy money when noone else will lend to you and they are so expensive. Its a vicious circle with them. Anyhow, I have got quite friendly over the years with the agent and I am going to feel really bad having to tell her im going bankrupt.

Now my question is this, I plan to file in about 6 weeks once I have managed to get the fee together, I have all the forms. Should I stop paying them now or wait until nearer the time I go to court? The thing is, I pay them about £100 per week and if I stopped now, by the time my BR comes up (just before) I would have £500 or so to go and buy an old car. My current vehicle is on HP so that will go and I do really need a car as my kids school is 5 miles away and I would be stumped trying to get any work.

I feel really bad and dont really know what to do.

Suzie

Ok, got another little question. I have had provident loans for a few years, you know what its like, easy money when noone else will lend to you and they are so expensive. Its a vicious circle with them. Anyhow, I have got quite friendly over the years with the agent and I am going to feel really bad having to tell her im going bankrupt.

Now my question is this, I plan to file in about 6 weeks once I have managed to get the fee together, I have all the forms. Should I stop paying them now or wait until nearer the time I go to court? The thing is, I pay them about £100 per week and if I stopped now, by the time my BR comes up (just before) I would have £500 or so to go and buy an old car. My current vehicle is on HP so that will go and I do really need a car as my kids school is 5 miles away and I would be stumped trying to get any work.

Suzie

I cant comment about the ins and outs of BR as I know nothing about it but I will say that this person from Provident you have got friendly with has earnt some good commission off of you so dont feel too much remorse for them....

Also you have to do whats best for you and your family.

Best of luck with everything

S.

Guest suziedarkness

Thats the trouble, I dont really know whats best to do. I understand exactly what you said about the commission to the agent and I fully agree with you shadow, It makes me feel physically sick when I think back to how much I have borrowed from the provvy over the years, let alone what I have paid back.

I guess maybe I should think that in a few weeks time, unfortunately, they will not be getting any more money from me so anything I pay them now is throwing good money after bad and I must admit, that few hundred pounds is the only opportunity I would have to get a much needed vehicle.

I just feel so bad about the whole thing.

have a look at the provident website financial statements some time, they expect about 30% of their customers to default, its part of their business plan. Thats why they charge 200% interest to the ones who do pay. So don't feel sorry for her, 1 in 3 wont pay her back

have a look at the provident website financial statements some time, they expect about 30% of their customers to default, its part of their business plan. Thats why they charge 200% interest to the ones who do pay. So don't feel sorry for her, 1 in 3 wont pay her back

....and I dont imagine they claw back the commission so she's earnt her crust.

S.

Suzie

Hi suziedarkness,provident,very handy at the time,when all other means of obtaining credit have vanished.You are going bankrupt soon so time to think of yourself. Wait at the door the next time your agent appears and say your circumstances have changed to such a degree you can only offer token payments 1.00 per week. I wont say take it or leave it as i said as you sound to polite. I personally said,when everything went pearshaped, you wont be getting any more payments , the next time you hear from me will be through the official receiver.But i feel for you the token payment is best,6 weeks 6 pound then youre there :).My view only,Tawnyowl. Edited by tawnyowl

Guest suziedarkness

I made the mistake of getting too friendly with the agent, which makes me feel even worse.

But in hindsight, she too is bringing up her family on her own and she manages to pay her mortgage, have fun and holidays none of which I have been able to achieve so she cant be doing too bad as a provvy agent.

I have just been put on anti-depressants from my doctor which makes me feel completely worthless

I made the mistake of getting too friendly with the agent, which makes me feel even worse.

But in hindsight, she too is bringing up her family on her own and she manages to pay her mortgage, have fun and holidays none of which I have been able to achieve so she cant be doing too bad as a provvy agent.

I have just been put on anti-depressants from my doctor which makes me feel completely worthless

You have nothing to feel worthless about... you didnt take out these loans to go on exotic holidays or buy flash clothes/car... and from what you've said you certainly didnt expect not to be able to repay these. Circumstances have meant you have no choice but to go bankrupt, you didnt borrow to the hilt to deliberately go BK.

As to the equation that being on anti-depressants makes you worthless have a look at this website and see the number of famous people who have suffered at times in their life.. Some really big household names on here..

This may not be what you want and forgive me for going beyond my normal remit of just posting advice but this charity has local support groups for people suffering depression but also contains lots of information Depression Alliance web site with information about depression symptoms, treatments for depression and self help groups.

Again I dont wish to intrude but I cant stand by and see someone who appears to be taking the world on their shoulders when they really shouldnt be.

S.

Guest suziedarkness

Thank you shadow, It means a lot to me that people here care. I dont have anyone to talk to, I dont have any friends for one reason and another, mainly due to my ex so I do feel that I am carrying the world on my shoulders.

I am trying to keep positive, that this is all for the best, and there will be a light but it is really difficult.

It is very difficult trying to explain to my kids why they have never ever had a holiday, why we never have a day out and why I always say no when they ask for a special packet of biscuits in the supermarket. I just feel a complete failure as parent and as a human being. I am again facing homelessness and my local council doesnt give a t**s.

I will certainly have a look at that link you sent.

Well said the shadow.Suziedarkness maybe its time to seek proffessional advice as well.When you petition your bankruptcy they seem to like to hear that you had received some.Try Free Debt Management Plans, Free IVA Debt Advice and Free Debt Help | Debt Advice | Payplan i found them reasonably quick in getting back with their advice on this very serious matter. Most of the provident collectors are friendly, they usually allways call you by your first name. Even when i first paid token payments they didnt mind. Its part of the job the friendliness.As for your bank account i feel with the ORs permission and the bank this COOP basic bank account will be left open.To receive your benefits. Best wishes Tawnyowl.

Edited by tawnyowl

Guest suziedarkness

Thanks Tawnyowl.

I have spoken to National Debtline and CCCS and I know I dont really have any other options.

Suzie x

Shame suzie, I sympathise and have been in similar mode myself for the last 12 months. Firstly, I opened a Halifax easy cash account online, got Visa debit card. If you only have benefits going in, that is your survival money. Nobody is allowed to take that! Also, you don't necessarily have to lose your car, if it is valued at around £2000 or less, you may be allowed to keep it. You should also check your benefits out, this is useful, quick and easy

Start Calculation

:)

So its onwards towards petitioning.You have had advice that this is the best thing for you.You can download the forms from the insolvency line,even if just to look at.You can even fill them in online. Do you know the costs involved.Tawnyowl.