You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Well, you've highlighted the problem yourself, whatever you decide will carry some risk.   However, I would think the risk of a default judgement & CCJ is to be avoided at all costs and the least worse thing would be to write them a two-line letter with their reference number and your new address.   As usual, any details you can give us on the forum sticky would be useful for the future      
    • That the value I paid for.. 250..  The cctv footage it's archived. 2 of them.. 
    • No copy of signature.. Just a name "jolly"... On tracking no proof of signature 
    • Thanks for the message that is what I thought. In the mean time they have sent another message, below, I can’t follow up with Amazon until 48 hours. But I will go armed.    “Your return period is 30 days with ourselves and then you are covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.”    
    • OK, I found the letter I was looking for:     Dear Sir/Madam,   Reference: [order number]   On [date], I placed an order for a [item] and it was delivered by you on [date].   I have discovered that the [item] has the following problem: [give details].   The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.    Any returns policy that says I have to cover the cost of returning items must only relate to the situation where I change my mind about the item ordered and not where there is a problem with the item.    I should not lose out financially as a result of your breach of contract and accordingly all costs of returning the item should be met by you.    I also require you to confirm you will arrange for [the item] to be collected.   I look forward to hearing from you.   Yours faithfully, [Your name]
  • Our picks

• Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 8 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 12 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3990 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all

Wondered if anyone could help? Recieved a letter yesterday off a company called Jacobs which states that it is a magistrates liability order for £607.65. They then mention that they are instructed to seize and sell my goods unless I pay in full immediately.

They say that if they attend the the charges are unlikely to be less than £110.00. Now from reading around this forum a little, I gather this is not correct as they can only charge £24 for first visit £18 for second? They have not visited at all, as this letter was sent via post and they have not visited my house at all.

The amount they are claiming is due is more than the original liability order was for. The original order was for 583.15, of which I have since paid £100.00 via the councils website and have the neccesary confirmation to prove this. The council tax i owe is from somewhere I lived 3 years ago, I moved out and completely forgot about it and have lived in a coupla other places since then. Earlier this year I was made redundant and moved back home with my folks for a while, for a short time I was on benefits so I'm guessing thats how they have traced my to my parents address.

I received the council liability order through the post on 22.06 and then went on holiday, when I got back I completely forgot about it and forgot to post the financial information form which had a deadline of 08.07. I immediately paid £100.00 via the councils online system. I then emailed the council explaining I had paid as much as I can in one go, and would pay another £100.00 on 24.08 which is when I next get paid. I also posted the financial information form but have had no response from the council From September I am returning to University, and receive a student loan which doesn't even cover my rent. Therefore I am happy to continue paying albeit at a lower amount. I will be exempt for the next 3 years so will be able to pay back all arrears before I next have to pay council tax.

I then received an automated response back from the council saying someone would be in touch within 10 days, that was 12 days ago and bailiffs letter arrived yesterday. I also set up an account with the council whereby I can view my past statement online. A gentleman emailed me today saying he would be sending it this evening.. so far I have not recieved any reponse. I would like to view the amount I am owing on the councils records, not through a 3rd party who have added significantly to what I believe I owe.

I am also worried about them turning up at my house, I am not intending o let them in. But am worried if they turn up when I am at work and try to trick my parents into letting them in. With regards walking posession, literally nothing here is owned by me or registed to me it is all in my parents name. Does that mean then can not legally take it?

I would also like to stop them from coming round full stop if possible and hassling me or my family. I will happily pay back the council the full amount, can anyone help please?

Their fees are incorrect, if they have not made a visit then you dont owe them a penny. Keep on at the council until you do get an answer, but in the mean time dont let the bailiffs into your home. your parents dont even have to entertain them as it is not their debt and by law the bailiffs cant even talk to them about it. all they have to tell them is that you only reside there and what belongs in the home is theres and all you have is a few personal belongings. They may well levy on your parents car/s which is the norm for these numpties and will try and charge you for it, as long as they have proof what is theirs then it cannot be touched, but they cannot force their way in so make sure all windows and doors are locked. Make sure you tell the council that what the bailiffs are charging you is incorrect.

Thanks for your advice,

I don't know what my next move should be, should I write or phone them to try and implement a payment plan? Or is it best to go straight to the council? I never seem to get anyone there whos able to help.

I am going to make an appointment to see the CAB tomorrow, does anyone also know how long it is from this first letter until they take "further action"

Thanks

Thanks for your advice,

I don't know what my next move should be, should I write or phone them to try and implement a payment plan? Or is it best to go straight to the council? I never seem to get anyone there whos able to help.

I am going to make an appointment to see the CAB tomorrow, does anyone also know how long it is from this first letter until they take "further action"

Thanks

IT CAN do no harm to go to the Citizens' Advice Bureau but please be aware that the quality of the advice they give is very uneven and the people there often don't have a clue about bailiff law.

I would do the following:

1. Explain the situation in full to your parents, if you have not already done so, and tell them that, if the bailiffs or anyone they think may be bailiffs, calls they should not be allowed into the house.

2. Write a complaint to the council, pointing out that the bailiffs - who are their agents - are committing a crime by attempting to impose unlawful charges. Tell them also that you are not prepared to deal with crooks who behave in this manner and that you will therefore be making all future payments direct to the council. Warn the council also that if they attempt to pass on any part of your payments to the bailiffs in excess of the legally-prescribed charges, you will hold the council responsible and report it to the Local Government Ombudsman. Also, tell the council how much you can pay and start paying weekly or monthly by standing order (not by direct debit, as in the case of a DD they can arbitrarily change the amount taken).

3. Remember, all the cards are in your hands as long as you refuse permission for the bailiffs to enter the house and levy on your goods. Do not phone the bailiffs, as they will only be rude and aggressive towards you, and don't even bother to write to them: deal ONLY with the council.the bailiffs will eventually get the message and back off.