M.O.T Rip Off Beware

tsam19
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I took my trusty car for an MOT yesterday, I've owned the car for over 3 years now & pretty much know it inside out practically & the last couple of weeks have spent a lot of time & money on the car getting the car ready for the MOT as you do.

Anyway I came across an ad for a company called Edit offering MOT's for £25 for any car - so how could anyone refuse that offer.

On phoning to make sure it wasn't a joke & to get confirmation I was re-assured by the person answering the phone that 'were here to make sure your car is safe & not here to rip your car to bits'

With that I took the car in & guess what they ripped it to bits (not literally) I came out with at least 5 pages in total of 'Red pages' - refusal & 'Amber pages' - advisory.

I wouldn't mind but the car's only been used a handful of times since its last mot last Aug.

I explained to the MOT tester that various new parts had been fitted like new pads & discs, new shoes but still didn't make any difference as one of the failure notices was 'Front mechanical braking restricted movement'

The engine passed its emission test though no problem.

My cars a front wheel drive which is connected directly to the gearbox via a driveshaft, surely there's some restricted movement there - the wheel won't free wheel when span because of all the weight connected to it !

The front wheel moves when the gearbox drives it round !

What was more concerning was that 3 other people who had taken their cars in prior to mine & were there to collect their vehicles had also FAILED on stupid things & had hefty repair bills to fork out & goodness knows how many more have done the same !

Something should be done about this - but who do you contact that will listen & do something about it ??

These people had left their vehicles there for them to be repaired by this company - with no re-mot test fee.

If you take your car away to be fixed elsewhere you have to pay this company a re-test fee !!

I took my car away to do the repairs myself, I believe this company will be biased when & if I take the car back to them for the re-test because they didn't do the work themselves & probably re-fail the car.

I respect a lot of people reading this are thinking well its an old car, maybe so but there are older cars on the road & I can appreciate a few minor pick ups - a bulb out or a bit of rust here & there, but not page after page of every blemish on the car.

It seems this company is drawing in customers by offering MOT's for £25 & failing the vehicles to get work out of the customer, i picked up on this when various customers were told of their bills.

So if you see an advert for Edit stay away as you'll certainly won't be walking away with a straight MOT pass from them.

If anyone knows who to contact to file a complaint or who has dealt with this company & experienced any of the above & has had something done about it please let me know.

Thanks.

Edit ... garage name removed

Edited by saintly_1
possible libelous naming

If you feel that your vehicle should have passed, complain to VOSA who will inspect your car.

However, as you admit, your car has only been used a handful of times in the last year, it is very likely that a front brake is binding. When on the rollers the vehicle is in neutral, so drag on the wheel is minimal. When the wheel is suspended and spun, the gearbox does not turn.

Edited by gwc1000
  • Haha 1

All the information you need will be on the failure you got from the mot station.

Phone VOSA and tell them you disagree with the failure, they will arrange to have it retested.

With the lenth of your post and disapproval of Autobase, I feel you must do this, and come back with the outcome.

Did you stand in the observation area that is provided and watch the test take place?

New discs and pads should be bedded in so can easily fail a test if not.

I don't think you should condemn them without having had another test carried out at a different station.

I haven't condemned anyone, you know when someones pulling a fast one (well I do) especially some garages & this happens in all areas of life not just having a go at garages.

On asking about the welding, the day of the MOT failure I was told that its about £50, but more if you have to remove components out of the way to do the job.

Lets face it no-one offers a car MOT for £25 without there being a hidden agenda & thats been proven to me tonight !

I spoke to 'VOSA' about my suspicions on the day of the MOT outcome & about the test results & that some of the FAULT entries, as yes there were more than one to review & repair.

On the failure sheet an entry wasn't really clear as I later tried to find a particular 'corrosive' spot which was specific to the suspension component, but all I could find was surface rust.

The particular fault/advisory entry didn't suggest 'welding' was needed.

Anyway I took the car away to do the repairs myself as I familiar with this type of work & to inspect this corrosive spot.

All I could find was surface rust which came away with a wire brush, so being a little concerned I phoned the garage to speak to the MOT tester who carried out the test to find out where this location was.

I was told to bring the car in by the garage manager & when they had free minute to get it on the ramp they would show me the corrosion spot.

The car was placed up on the ramp & 'corrosive spot' pointed out which really wasn't anywhere near the suspension component as stated on the refusal sheet. SEE PICTURE

The MOT tester explained how he pushed his finger into the area whereby fragments fell off, so indulged a bit more with the MOT tester special rust testing tool - A HAMMER !

I asked him how hard did he hit it to loosen as much as the picture shows, not really hard he says !

Apparently its at the MOT testers discretion as to what level of corrosion is allowed & deemed acceptable.

I thought all MOT testers work to the same book so to speak, a reference book with guidelines & tolerances etc.

I asked how would welding a plate over the prescribed rusty area strengthen the chassis ?

The MOT tester couldn't answer as welding wasn't his area & I should speak to the manager.

On leaving it at that I was happy the MOT tester had taken time to answer my question, a right which I think every customer has if they are unsure of something & the MOT tester was only too happy to answer.

I asked that if I brought the car back in & paid the re-test fee & there wasn't a plate welded over the prescribed area would the car be re-failed again ?

Again my question was based on the original question - how would a plate strengthen the prescribed area & what if a filler was to be used instead ?

On that the MOT tester asked me 'Do I work for Vosa because I'm asking all the type of questions they ask, I explained I didn't but I work in a similar field & having spent 3 weeks under the car prior to & preparing for the MOT I didn't see any signs of corrosion in that particular spot during that time'

The manager appeared & was beckoned over to the car & was asked his advice on the welding by the MOT tester & myself - would a plate really be needed to be welded across the prescribed area, if so how would it help ?

The manager threw his dummy out of the pram at that point, right PASS the car with an advisory so your backs covered was shouted to the MOT tester, its on the customers back if anything happens & then your covered also.

Again I was asked with attitude 'Do I work for the ministry or Vosa, whats with all the questions' ?

Get this f+++++ car off the ramps & get out of here, you've kept me on the f++++++ phone for 30 mins mythering, are you from the ministry / Vosa?

Your getting a f+++++ MOT for £25 in disappointed tone !

Basically this tells me what I was inclined to believe all along, offer the customer a cheap MOT, then rip the car to bits & create lots of work for them to carry out !

The manager of this garage wasn't happy that I'd asked the questions I had & was evident in his abusive threatening outburst which was insulting to me as a customer & more-so insulting to his employee.

I'm glad I don't work for an employer like that !

The MOT tester apologized for the managers outburst & in the end he explained how to go about getting the welding done for a re-test - funny that because he claimed earlier he didn't know anything about welding !

I didn't get issued the MOT pass certificate in the end I drove away without it.

The re-test fee at this garage would be £10.

I've been advised by Vosa to take the car elsewhere for an MOT or appeal which will cost me half of the original MOT.

I won't be taking the car back to this garage for any particular work again ever in the future & if I can pass any advice on about this matter to anyone considering taking up on any garages hard to refuse MOT offer for £25 or similar beware & think again !

If you do then ask to watch the test being undertaken & ask questions if your not sure about anything going on in the test.

If I had been given the option to watch the test take place by the MOT tester before the test I would have accepted but I was never asked.

I have again updated the intelligence section at Vosa who have added to the original report regarding the matter & hopefully something will be done about it.

As I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have used this garages services & felt seen off.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by tsam19

Why didn't you put all that in your original post, it would have been easier for us to see you point of view.

Failure is to a point discretionary, but the book says 'if in doubt, fail it'.

If I had been given the option to watch the test take place by the MOT tester before the test I would have accepted but I was never asked.

They have to provide a customer viewing area, and it must be clearly signed as such, so you shouldn't have to be ask or be told.

You can rest assured that they will be visited by ministry inspectors a few times after they think it has all died down. One of the methods of inspection is they stop a customers car leaving a test and ask the driver how it got on and then drag it back in and do an inspection themselves, all unannounced.

• 2 months later...
Hello all

I took my trusty car for an MOT yesterday, I've owned the car for over 3 years now & pretty much know it inside out practically & the last couple of weeks have spent a lot of time & money on the car getting the car ready for the MOT as you do.

Anyway I came across an ad for a company called Edit offering MOT's for £25 for any car - so how could anyone refuse that offer.

On phoning to make sure it wasn't a joke & to get confirmation I was re-assured by the person answering the phone that 'were here to make sure your car is safe & not here to rip your car to bits'

With that I took the car in & guess what they ripped it to bits (not literally) I came out with at least 5 pages in total of 'Red pages' - refusal & 'Amber pages' - advisory.

I wouldn't mind but the car's only been used a handful of times since its last mot last Aug.

I explained to the MOT tester that various new parts had been fitted like new pads & discs, new shoes but still didn't make any difference as one of the failure notices was 'Front mechanical braking restricted movement'

The engine passed its emission test though no problem.

My cars a front wheel drive which is connected directly to the gearbox via a driveshaft, surely there's some restricted movement there - the wheel won't free wheel when span because of all the weight connected to it !

The front wheel moves when the gearbox drives it round !

What was more concerning was that 3 other people who had taken their cars in prior to mine & were there to collect their vehicles had also FAILED on stupid things & had hefty repair bills to fork out & goodness knows how many more have done the same !

Something should be done about this - but who do you contact that will listen & do something about it ??

These people had left their vehicles there for them to be repaired by this company - with no re-mot test fee.

If you take your car away to be fixed elsewhere you have to pay this company a re-test fee !!

I took my car away to do the repairs myself, I believe this company will be biased when & if I take the car back to them for the re-test because they didn't do the work themselves & probably re-fail the car.

I respect a lot of people reading this are thinking well its an old car, maybe so but there are older cars on the road & I can appreciate a few minor pick ups - a bulb out or a bit of rust here & there, but not page after page of every blemish on the car.

It seems this company is drawing in customers by offering MOT's for £25 & failing the vehicles to get work out of the customer, i picked up on this when various customers were told of their bills.

So if you see an advert for Edit stay away as you'll certainly won't be walking away with a straight MOT pass from them.

If anyone knows who to contact to file a complaint or who has dealt with this company & experienced any of the above & has had something done about it please let me know.

Thanks.

Edit ... garage name removed

Infact the front wheels will free spin