DVLA / DVLNI - who knows what?

qwerta123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In Northern Ireland, do ANPR cameras - or even the PSNI themselves - have the facility to be able to check whether a GB (not NI) registered car has tax, insurance or MOT? Or do they have access only to DVLNI records, and not DVLA?

Similarly, if an NI registered car is in GB, do the police / mainland ANPR cameras have access to check whether the said NI vehicle has tax, insurance or MOT?

I ask because, although Northern Ireland and Great Britain both make up the United Kingdom, the two entities have different vehicle and driver licensing authorities.

im not sure i got a tax fine from a dvlni tax camara for a car that was reg with swansea but was sold to me over here but wasnt registed by me yet as it had 4 weeks of tax left and was told to leave it until it ran out to tax over here.they found me throu the finance company. i wrote them a snotty letter with a a4 photo copy of tax disk they just replied back saying camara data base not linked.

my question is tho why dont we get fines from dvla swansea when we take cars over. i think dvlni was chancing there arm and i would say there linked between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

No, they are not linked. If the police over here want details of a northern ireland registered car, the control room over here has to ring northern ireland to request the details. (and vice versa)

However, there is a new system in the pipeline and it is not just to link the mainland with northern ireland. This will scare some people - the system being developed at the moment is for the whole of the E.U. So a Police Officer in this country can input a Greek vrm and get te full details for the vehicle and owner/driver. Its going to be part of an EU multi-agency investigation system - and its only a couple of years down the line. The boffins have been working on it for a couple of years now.

Cheers - scousegeezer