benefit fraud team tactics

NoNameLame87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know what tactics the benefit fraud teams use to find out where someones staying other than following them and taking pictures "my friends parents" got rather a strange phone call today for someone claiming to be from the royal mail they said they had a parcel waiting to be delivered with two addresses on it and they asked what address they should send it to.

My friends folks told them to sent it to the "other" address that his other friend stays at. his parents informed him he then called up the royal mail and they said they knew nothing about this and would never call like that fishy eh?

I doubt that could be used as evidence in court but not sure as they are pretending to be someone there not to get the evidence my friend is doing nothing wrong but is worried about this phone call.

Could someone please advise if this type of thing could be common pratice.

Well you will know if it was Royal Mail if a parcel with the two addresses on it arrives....

Note - all posts are my opinion only, and no action should be taken on any advice given without consulting independant advice from a suitably qaulified advisor.

The DWP would get slaughtered in court if they did that sort of thing. Could it possibly be debt collectors? Given that they often have highly organised staff that call around (including, in fact, calling the DWP seeking information under false pretences), I wouldn't put it past them.

Otherwise, I got nothing. Well, apart from Nigerian [problematic] ;)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

This sounds more like a phishing call from a debt collection agency. I don't think the parcel will ever arrive.

As for following people and taking pictures when I worked in the Housing Benefits office many moons ago they did not have the resources for any of that, they only investigated if someone wrote or telephoned with information and then they were legally obliged to follow it up.

Most of the calls and letters were from friends who had had a squabble, and some later called back to withdraw the allegations only to be told that was not possible.

The lesson here is if you are 'on the fiddle' to the slightest degree tell NOBODY.

Edited by zazen.warrior

Thanks all my "friend" is in alot of debt and running from it, so its very likely that it was debt collecters, he stays in Scotland so there is not alot they can do another than send nasty letters etc.

Ill tell him to avoid the door now. :razz:

Thanks all my "friend" is in alot of debt and running from it, so its very likely that it was debt collecters, he stays in Scotland so there is not alot they can do another than send nasty letters etc.

Ill tell him to avoid the door now. :razz:

If it is debt collectors they very rarely turn up at the door but they would need the correct address to write to.

If your friend is worried about DC's calling at the door, have a read in the debt forum, as there is plenty of advice on what to do. ;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

There is no way that is the DWP. They would not be able to use this as evidence which would defeat the entire purpose, and they have many other ways and means of legitamately making checks without hiding behind another company.

It sounds extremely like the tactics of a DCA though, suspiciously like them!!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)