6 year rule

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Ive got a quick question.

I know that if you leave a debt for 6 years they cant chase you for it. This goes from the last time you either paid some money or you have agreed that you owe the debt.

But I have got a new job where they need to do a security check that has a credit check attached to it. I have been told that as long as Im honest it should be fine, but if I was to write down and say I owe 'X' this much money will my 6 years start again?

Its the MOD who will be checking my form - they just want to know Im honest. I might fail anyway, but I like the job and if theres a chance I would like to stay.

Thanks

BW

No your 6 years will NOT start again. you can only start it by admitting IN WRITING to the creditor, or making a payment to the creditor

If the 6 years has passed, NOTHING can start the clock again

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

why not check your credit fle to see of there is anything there

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

IMHO the credit check they do only serves to see if you are financially solvent, depending on what job you have applied for with the MOD (DO NOT DISCLOSE) then all they are trying to find out is if you would ever be enticed to give sensitive information away for monetary gain.

The fact that you may have a debt recorded on your file is neither here nor there, if you inform them that this might be the case then you have shown them your honest, and them simply looking will not re-start the 6 years again, so don't worry, and good luck with the job!:D

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

There is a new bill due to pass though later this year and its should mean the limitations act 1980 6 year period being reduced to 3 years! Hope for many I guess!

Yes I read that somewhere aswell! God I do bloody hope so!!!! Whoopeee Whooopeee:D:D:D:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

lol! Here's the link...

Industry News ArticleLimitations Act

best check with Ministry of Justice Tel:020 3334 3555

thgey should have some knowledge about what is going into the Civil Law Reform Bill and in particular what many will want to hear about the proposed change to the period in the Limitations Act 1980 from 6yrs to 3yrs!

There is a new bill due to pass though later this year and its should mean the limitations act 1980 6 year period being reduced to 3 years! Hope for many I guess!

Its really good news if you have outstanding debts that need to be got rid of. Its not such good news if you are trying to claim back bank charges

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I have had to WRITE down who I owe and how much. I just went to experain to find out what was there and wrote that down. I have many debts I dont know exactly how many are out there,

So as I have written it down and its not to my creditors my 6 years wont start again, i only have a couple to go for the majority.

My credit score was 296 - who can beat that for bad credit then?

Yes I read that somewhere aswell! God I do bloody hope so!!!! Whoopeee Whooopeee:D:D:D:D

I heard that credit industry insiders are desperately trying to stop this or theatening to flood the court system with cases. The main reason for this is companies like CL Finance will get stuck with worthless enforeable debts that will be SB.

It is estimated this action will wipe out one 3rd of the DCA industry in one sitting.Yehhhh

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

I heard that credit industry insiders are desperately trying to stop this or theatening to flood the court system with cases. The main reason for this is companies like CL Finance will get stuck with worthless enforeable debts that will be SB.

It is estimated this action will wipe out one 3rd of the DCA industry in one sitting.Yehhhh

YAY :D

Karma i think:D

What amuses me is, apart from the MOJ probably taking an extremely dim view (could such a thing be considered a Denial of Service Attack like hackers on tinternet? ;) ) The action will also be self defeating - if they cripple court system by trying to flood it with cases - then wont many of their cases not even be seen before the law comes into effect due to the huge volume?

I say bring it on! If even 60% of people begin defending their cases when the flood happens then something will simply have to give, and I suspect it won't be us debtors or the courts ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A person with a civil claim loses their right to action if they do not sue within a specified period of time – the “limitation period”

So in the case of a DCA who commences recovery action 1 week before the debt is statute barred, what is the situation if the actual case is not heard until after the limitation period.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Not wishing to hi jack this thread, but would the 3 year limitation apply to ccj's as well?

I don't thik so. The limiation period is the period of time in which a claimant can bring action. As far as CCJ's are concerned the action has already been taken.

The rules of the court argue that 6 yeras is a reasonable period for a claimant to enforce a judgment, it would go against the general rule for one to be enforced after this time unless there was VERY good reason. I would imagine this is likely to stand for the forseeable as it's pretty sold case-law.

Hope this helps.

Seq.

So in the case of a DCA who commences recovery action 1 week before the debt is statute barred, what is the situation if the actual case is not heard until after the limitation period.

If court action starts before the end of the limitation period it would be fine - even if the actual hearing was after the original limitation period has ended.

If court action starts before the end of the limitation period it would be fine - even if the actual hearing was after the original limitation period has ended.

Sorry Sequenci, me being thick here, fine for me or the DCA.

I have an interest in this scenario as I have a stayed case which has got as far as me filing a defence. In 3 more months it will be 6 years since last payment.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Sorry Sequenci, me being thick here, fine for me or the DCA.

I have an interest in this scenario as I have a stayed case which has got as far as me filing a defence. In 3 more months it will be 6 years since last payment.

Action has already started within the limitation period I'm afraid to say :(

Its really good news if you have outstanding debts that need to be got rid of. Its not such good news if you are trying to claim back bank charges

I expect that the change will not cover any existing causes of action, only new ones.

The rules of the court argue that 6 yeras is a reasonable period for a claimant to enforce a judgment, it would go against the general rule for one to be enforced after this time unless there was VERY good reason. I would imagine this is likely to stand for the forseeable as it's pretty sold case-law.

It is s24 of the LA1980 so I suppose it could be included in any general amendments to the LA.

Action has already started within the limitation period I'm afraid to say :Cry:

Ah damn it......I was just starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.....now the worrying starts again. :(

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs