You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hi Stormy   I do wish you good luck but I'd urge you not to get over-optimistic about a letter from your GP having any bearing on the outcome of this.  I do not share London1971's view that such a letter will assist you in defending the claim against you - unless you are suggesting that the diagnosis is so bad that you aren't functioning - in which case you probably ought not to be working.  Is your GP going to say that you can't be held liable for a breach of contract, but that you're perfectly OK to continue working and to make significant decisions in other areas of your life?  I don't know.   Also, I'm uncertain where the question of bullying and harassment first surfaced in this thread.  You engaged them on a NWNF basis to pursue a claim for you.  Apparently they contacted (or attempted to contact) you a lot - certainly more than you felt necessary or were comfortable with, and you ended up deciding to discontinue the case.  But were they harassing you?  Again, I simply don't know because I wasn't there - only you were.  Most people complain that they don't have enough contact from their solicitors, not that they are being harassed by being contacted too often.  [EDIT:  I also think most people would associate "harassment" with behaviour that is in some way harmful or damaging to the recipient, and not with a situation where the alleged harasser is trying to act in the other person's interest and to their benefit].    And I'm not sure where the bullying comes from?  They're suing you because they think you are in breach of contract and that you owe them the costs and expenses they've already incurred - and that they cannot now recover from the other party because you decided to discontinue the case.  I'm no particular supporter of law firms but, unlike some people, I don't have "anti-lawyer" as a default setting.  If they've genuinely incurred costs acting on your behalf and in your interests, then I think they've got a more than fair case to recover those costs.  Threatening to sue you or actually suing you isn't necessarily bullying.   I honestly think your best chance of success is questioning the level and extent of costs and expenses they claim to have incurred and try to reach a mutually acceptable settlement.   As I've said before, I'm not intending to be critical of you in any way and I'm really sorry that all this (the original accident, hassle with the lawyers and now them suing you) seems to have contributed to all the stress you have to bear.  I'm really just interested in ensuring that you can see this problem from all points of view and that you don't place too much reliance on an approach that I think has only very limited chances of success.  (But of course - as London1971 has pointed out - there's no harm in getting a GP's letter anyway AND preparing a legal defence like BankFodder is suggesting AND preparing to think about settling.  They aren't all mutually exclusive and you should keep as many irons in the fire as you can.  Use belt and braces and don't just rely on one).   Anyway.  Good luck.  I'm frequently wrong and you may win outright!
    • I would go with the following....please feel free to amend or add.   WITNESS STATEMENT OF Baycloves.pdf  
    • I think it would be prudent to stick with a realistic objective and that is the hundred and £69 which you you can apparently support by means of evidence. You originally said that you could have sold them for four times – £400 and I think this is certainly unrealistic. If you had some official evaluation of the books from an independent source then you would have stood a good chance but as the books have gone, I think your fallback is the £169
    • Hi  I don't have an issue going all the way - The only question I would have would be whether I could expect to recover the resale value or whether it would be best to concede this is unlikely. I can prove to some extent the expected resale value but not as readily as the prices originally paid. 
    • doubt if one telecom default would hurt anything even with prime lenders..
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3969 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

Ive got a quick question.

I know that if you leave a debt for 6 years they cant chase you for it. This goes from the last time you either paid some money or you have agreed that you owe the debt.

But I have got a new job where they need to do a security check that has a credit check attached to it. I have been told that as long as Im honest it should be fine, but if I was to write down and say I owe 'X' this much money will my 6 years start again?

Its the MOD who will be checking my form - they just want to know Im honest. I might fail anyway, but I like the job and if theres a chance I would like to stay.

Thanks

BW

No your 6 years will NOT start again. you can only start it by admitting IN WRITING to the creditor, or making a payment to the creditor

If the 6 years has passed, NOTHING can start the clock again

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

After 6 years it should be removed from your credit report anyway.

why not check your credit fle to see of there is anything there

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

IMHO the credit check they do only serves to see if you are financially solvent, depending on what job you have applied for with the MOD (DO NOT DISCLOSE) then all they are trying to find out is if you would ever be enticed to give sensitive information away for monetary gain.

The fact that you may have a debt recorded on your file is neither here nor there, if you inform them that this might be the case then you have shown them your honest, and them simply looking will not re-start the 6 years again, so don't worry, and good luck with the job!:D

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

There is a new bill due to pass though later this year and its should mean the limitations act 1980 6 year period being reduced to 3 years! Hope for many I guess!

There is a new bill due to pass though later this year and its should mean the limitations act 1980 6 year period being reduced to 3 years! Hope for many I guess!

Yes I read that somewhere aswell! God I do bloody hope so!!!! Whoopeee Whooopeee:D:D:D:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

lol! Here's the link...

Industry News ArticleLimitations Act

best check with Ministry of Justice Tel:020 3334 3555

thgey should have some knowledge about what is going into the Civil Law Reform Bill and in particular what many will want to hear about the proposed change to the period in the Limitations Act 1980 from 6yrs to 3yrs!

Its really good news if you have outstanding debts that need to be got rid of. Its not such good news if you are trying to claim back bank charges

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I have had to WRITE down who I owe and how much. I just went to experain to find out what was there and wrote that down. I have many debts I dont know exactly how many are out there,

So as I have written it down and its not to my creditors my 6 years wont start again, i only have a couple to go for the majority.

My credit score was 296 - who can beat that for bad credit then?

Yes I read that somewhere aswell! God I do bloody hope so!!!! Whoopeee Whooopeee:D:D:D:D

I heard that credit industry insiders are desperately trying to stop this or theatening to flood the court system with cases. The main reason for this is companies like CL Finance will get stuck with worthless enforeable debts that will be SB.

It is estimated this action will wipe out one 3rd of the DCA industry in one sitting.Yehhhh

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

I heard that credit industry insiders are desperately trying to stop this or theatening to flood the court system with cases. The main reason for this is companies like CL Finance will get stuck with worthless enforeable debts that will be SB.

It is estimated this action will wipe out one 3rd of the DCA industry in one sitting.Yehhhh

YAY :D

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

I worked for the MOD and had various security checks for different levels of clearance and the credit check was never an issue. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Karma i think:D

Not wishing to hi jack this thread, but would the 3 year limitation apply to ccj's as well?

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

What amuses me is, apart from the MOJ probably taking an extremely dim view (could such a thing be considered a Denial of Service Attack like hackers on tinternet? ;) ) The action will also be self defeating - if they cripple court system by trying to flood it with cases - then wont many of their cases not even be seen before the law comes into effect due to the huge volume?

I say bring it on! If even 60% of people begin defending their cases when the flood happens then something will simply have to give, and I suspect it won't be us debtors or the courts ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not wishing to hi jack this thread, but would the 3 year limitation apply to ccj's as well?

CCJs are never Statute Barred. As for the Statute of Limitations reducing to 3 years, I doubt whether it'll be retrospective.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

A person with a civil claim loses their right to action if they do not sue within a specified period of time – the “limitation period”

So in the case of a DCA who commences recovery action 1 week before the debt is statute barred, what is the situation if the actual case is not heard until after the limitation period.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

I don't thik so. The limiation period is the period of time in which a claimant can bring action. As far as CCJ's are concerned the action has already been taken.

The rules of the court argue that 6 yeras is a reasonable period for a claimant to enforce a judgment, it would go against the general rule for one to be enforced after this time unless there was VERY good reason. I would imagine this is likely to stand for the forseeable as it's pretty sold case-law.

Hope this helps.

Seq.

So in the case of a DCA who commences recovery action 1 week before the debt is statute barred, what is the situation if the actual case is not heard until after the limitation period.

If court action starts before the end of the limitation period it would be fine - even if the actual hearing was after the original limitation period has ended.

If court action starts before the end of the limitation period it would be fine - even if the actual hearing was after the original limitation period has ended.

Sorry Sequenci, me being thick here, fine for me or the DCA.

I have an interest in this scenario as I have a stayed case which has got as far as me filing a defence. In 3 more months it will be 6 years since last payment.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Sorry Sequenci, me being thick here, fine for me or the DCA.

I have an interest in this scenario as I have a stayed case which has got as far as me filing a defence. In 3 more months it will be 6 years since last payment.

Action has already started within the limitation period I'm afraid to say :(

Its really good news if you have outstanding debts that need to be got rid of. Its not such good news if you are trying to claim back bank charges

I expect that the change will not cover any existing causes of action, only new ones.

The rules of the court argue that 6 yeras is a reasonable period for a claimant to enforce a judgment, it would go against the general rule for one to be enforced after this time unless there was VERY good reason. I would imagine this is likely to stand for the forseeable as it's pretty sold case-law.

It is s24 of the LA1980 so I suppose it could be included in any general amendments to the LA.

Action has already started within the limitation period I'm afraid to say :Cry:

Ah damn it......I was just starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.....now the worrying starts again. :(

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Bring on the new Civil law reform bill 6 yrs to 3yrs lovely jumbly, lets hope that 99% of all DCA sc$mbags go to the wall and good riddens to them to lol!:D