You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Good morning all,   I have an update for you all, shortly after my first hearing i was told i would need to have a rehearing with another company, Obviously i agreed but after the initial grievance hearing the person then asked me to enter into a private conversation, I have received the settlement offer and are disgusted as its not even half of my monthly  salary, I'm not sure what to do at this stage as i dont have the funds to finance a solicitor,so any advice would be appreciated.  
    • Sorry, but what does this mean?   Who are ARC? It would be helpful if you could be a little bit more clear about what happened. I don't understand why you are not simply proceeding against Amazon – because it is clearly their responsibility as it was their driver or courier company
    • I understand that you were involved in a contentious divorce in respect of which there was a bill for court costs – £850. You decided to challenge the costs in court and you lost and an order was made against you. We decided to appeal the order but before the appeal was heard, the solicitors made you a without prejudice offer of a 50-50 split – £425. You agree to this and you signed the document to that effect which you returned to the solicitors. Despite that the solicitors are now trying to impose the original £850 order. Is that the correct order of events? "Without prejudice" is certainly something that doesn't seem to be very well understood, including by solicitors. "Without prejudice" can protect an offer from being disclosed to the court where the offer has been refused so that it is not binding on anyone. However, without prejudice cannot be used to hide everything from the court – including wrongdoings, unethical behaviour et cetera. It seems to me that once you sign the agreement you effectively had a contract. I'd like to know a little bit more about the agreement that you signed but presumably it was intended to bring a halt to any further proceedings. I don't think there is any difficulty about disclosing a contract to the court in the circumstances. It is only the offer which was made without prejudice. Once the agreement was accepted and signed then the document acquired a wholly different character. It was no longer an offer open to be accepted or refused. It was a legally binding contract which imposed obligations upon both sides. In my view the solicitors have acted in a highly unethical way and I would begin by making a complaint to the SRA. I wonder whether the solicitors proposed the 50-50 split to you without consulting with their client and when they then contacted their client and told her what had been agreed, she refused to accept it and on that basis the solicitors recognised that they had made an error but rather than accept their responsibility and footing the £425 out of their own pockets, they preferred to get it from you. Of course this is just speculation but it seems to me to be quite a possible scenario. I'd like to see the agreement post up here please – that my sense is that you should complain to the SRA and you should tell the solicitors that this is what you're doing.
    • What's the default date? It should be on your Credit File
    • i point you to two threads whereby you'll see an explanation by andy (post 22 here) https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/410486-lowell-interim-charging-order-from-credit-card-debt-2009/?tab=comments#comment-4912902   and   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406428-remortgage-issue/   if yours says:    written notice of the disposition was given to XX Council ( - disposition = sold vis: disposed of) ..... notice means letter telling them it's been sold -    doesn't say it must be paid or settled BEFORE disposition..   that's the way i read it.          
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
bigcolin66

First National/GE Money

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3882 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

Just need information, I took out a loan with First National in July 2001 for £50,000 to be repaid over 144 months at £457 per month, to cut a long story short I missed a couple of payments in 2004, the company then took me to court by then they had been taken over by GE money,anyway I had a CCJ against me and have now since paid my missed payments but only to learn that I have just over 11 more years to pay this off, I am stresed out that instead of the original 144 months this company has increased the term to 305 months can any one help I8-) have tried talking to the compnay but no luck

Do you happen to have a variable rate loan with a fixed monthly payment?

I'm looking into loans like this as I have one too. I don't know how many payments I have left. I recently reckoned I would have a shortfall of about £17500 at the end of the original term:eek:.

Did you use a broker?

is this a secured or unsecured loan?

I used to work for First Nat many yrs ago so I know about how their unsecured loan was supposed to work but many middlemen sold the product with perhaps less than perfect scruples.

If secured tho it is a different product and the doubling in term needs looking into for sure.

It is a secured loan and the rate was 10% above the bank base rate, I am now dealing with the CAB centre with this issue and will keep you posted

Hello, also seeking information about First National/GE Money.

We took out a loan in 2002 for about £6200 with add-ons to about another £800, dutifully paid the monthly payment of approx £122 until we encountered difficulties and had to stop payments. We did not realise what kind of loan this was. When the payments had to be stopped over £8000 had been repaid. If the loan had been paid until it ended, (120 months), we would have repaid more than £14600.00! That is a massive amount of interest!

In 2008 my partner began an IVA agreement and this loan was included. Unfortunately the agreement was signed by both of us. Now, although my partner is paying 25% back to GE Money, they are harassing me for nearly £6000.00 and have passed on this originally very questionable loan to a company of even more questionable debt collectors.

I would be very interested to know if any other Forum members have had similar experiences with First National/GE Money. I intend to report them but don't know how to go about that.

Regards to all on Forum

My debt with First National/GE Money is unsecured. The debt collectors harassing me by telephone and in writing are Link Financial. I have sent a letter of complaint to Link and received a 'complaints form' :rolleyes: from them today. I don't know how it will affect any official complaint I make if I fill in Link's complaints form :confused:.

Hi All,

I also have an unsecured loan with FN/GE Money and have recently received a letter from Link out of the blue. Please does anyone of the practiced CAGGERS have any experience with these companies?

I do not know where to begin...help!!!

Thanks in advance,

atom02

S&R, have you made any further progress with link on this issue? am battling the same demons...

Hello atom02

GE Money sent me their version of an 'agreement'. From this document it appears that the loan was even worse than I first thought. The interest comes to much more than I wrote in my post. Also there were omissions from the 'agreement'. We were sold this loan under pressure and I think the nature of the loan was misrepresented. I think the way the loan is constructed may be seen as unclear. A friend has a similar type of loan with another loan company but taken out at about the same time. She paid and paid regularly for years, then when she rang up to check, they explained that she still owed more than she had originally borrowed. She had not understood the undertaking at all and was probably pretty desperate when she took it out. (I know sometimes there was no heating or lighting in her home at that time).

I am gathering all the paperwork together. (Not an easy task), in order to write to OFT etc with a letter of complaint. At the moment I don't know how to word or send a complaint but I will ask forum members for advice when I've got it all together.

Do you remember what the circumstances were when you took out the loan? How much selling pressure was going on? I would not have taken the loan had I understood how much I was going to have to pay back to complete it. I think there may be a great many people who did not understand the conditions of this type of loan.

Much good luck with your battle

S&R

Hi S&R,

Similar story to mine - the loan was sold with some pressure but I always intended to aggressively pay it back in order to avoid the ridiculous interest rates (which would have more than doubled the amount of cap originally borrowed) on it. Unfortunately, things got difficult and I simply couldn't continue.

My situation is somewhat unique from that point on and I have started a thread atom02 -v- GE Money (don't know how to link threads). Have a read and let's see whether we can help each other by sharing. It does seem though that the agreement would be enforceable to the extent that it has all the prescribed terms. What would be the basis of your complaint to authorities?

Regards,

atom