GRRRR - not wearing seatbelt fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

today i got a fixed penalty fine or £60 for not wearing a seat belt, i usually always do wear a seat belt but i was travelling about 1m within a town and i suppose i forgot to put it on, as i turned left at a set of lights i saw a traffic police car sitting waiting to go the opposite way, next thing i know when i pull into where i was going the police pulled in behind me.

i got told i was wearing a seat belt, i said i was, they said they both seen me with no seatbelt on, this is a lie cause i seen the other officer looking out the other window, the officer that did see had a quick glance and could tell thru my oem tinted windows also i was up high in a 4x4.

so in the interest of road safety he deemed it suitable to do a 3 point turn close to a junstion in order to come after me to fine me for not having a seat blet on. I was furious i thought what the F~~~ motivates these people to go to all that bother because i was driving slowly with no seatbelt in the opposite direction. Obviously they it looks good for them the more fines they dish out.

im now expecting people to say pay up and shut up :lol: but has there ever been cases when these things have been dropped, only one officer seen my with no belt on and i am amazed he did thru the tinted window and the view he had.

on my way home i was looking to tell if people in vans etc had seat belts on and its very hard to tell so i would assume this officer being certain is questionable and obviously the other officer is backing the other up cause the other officer was looking in the opposite direction.

im unemployed just now and £60 is a lot of money as i have 3 kids and bills to pay :eek:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what the F~~~ motivates these people to go to all that bother because i was driving slowly with no seatbelt in the opposite direction. Obviously they it looks good for them the more fines they dish out.

Sadly I know of no cases that just get dropped in the way you describe. And I'm not either aware of any get out for you.

What motivates them is that they have to clear-up the mess after the accident and knock on doors informing next of kin.

I would try and be thankful (and I know it's hard if the financial squeeze is on) that you have a fine to deal with and not catastrophic facial injuries or worse!

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

I was furious i thought what the F~~~ motivates these people to go to all that bother because i was driving slowly with no seatbelt in the opposite direction. Obviously they it looks good for them the more fines they dish out.

:eek:

bertie, I am 100% convinced that the police do not dish out this type of fine so that they look good. Bernie is more likely correct.

I think that the cheapest way for you is to pay the fine, as defending it would be nigh on impossible.

today i got a fixed penalty fine or £60 for not wearing a seat belt, i usually always do wear a seat belt but i was travelling about 1m within a town and i suppose i forgot to put it on, as i turned left at a set of lights i saw a traffic police car sitting waiting to go the opposite way, next thing i know when i pull into where i was going the police pulled in behind me.

i got told i was wearing a seat belt, i said i was, they said they both seen me with no seatbelt on, this is a lie cause i seen the other officer looking out the other window, the officer that did see had a quick glance and could tell thru my oem tinted windows also i was up high in a 4x4.

so in the interest of road safety he deemed it suitable to do a 3 point turn close to a junstion in order to come after me to fine me for not having a seat blet on. I was furious i thought what the F~~~ motivates these people to go to all that bother because i was driving slowly with no seatbelt in the opposite direction. Obviously they it looks good for them the more fines they dish out.

im now expecting people to say pay up and shut up :lol: but has there ever been cases when these things have been dropped, only one officer seen my with no belt on and i am amazed he did thru the tinted window and the view he had.

on my way home i was looking to tell if people in vans etc had seat belts on and its very hard to tell so i would assume this officer being certain is questionable and obviously the other officer is backing the other up cause the other officer was looking in the opposite direction.

im unemployed just now and £60 is a lot of money as i have 3 kids and bills to pay :eek:

Bertie, and tell me if I've got this wrong, but essentially you call the officers integrity into question (ie, 'i told them i was') by lying because you don't like the fact you've been caught.

How long do you think it takes for an officer to notice you not wearing a seatbelt? half a second? Less?

If you don't think its fair, take itto court and let them decide, but don't winge if you lose and the penalty goes up.

Of course, I take it you wouldn't be lying under oath would you? That would be perjury, and the stakes really go up then!

As for motivation, as Bernie and Sara have said its all about seeing people dead and / or seriously injured that would have had a bit of bruising around the chest and not telling a loved one that their nearest and dearest are dead. Stop and imagine an officer knocking on your door and breaking the news to your family. Its not pleasant for anyone.

Take it on the chin, and put the belt on as you normally do.

Hi there,

A similar thing happened to me last month....I was eating some nuts as I was driving thorugh the town with my baby in the car. Iwas going around 10 miles ph.......I unclipped my belt as I dropped a nut beside handbrake....

Dont know why but I did unclip the belt and low an behold the police were behind me and followed me for a few seconds ....before I noticed them I had put my belt back on and then 10 seconds later the flashing light stopped me in my tracks...unmarked police cars and not very apologetic...

I was in the wrong and have paid the price...I havent had a chance to pay the ticket and is has now increased from the 60 to 90 pounds. What a time to have an unexpected bill.

But I agree with all that has been said I normally where my belt at all times I had hoped officers discretion would maybe count for something....but.....only me to blame.

ah! tinted windows.

damn i paid lots for these and they can still see i'm not wearing a seatbelt thru them.

useful for the other one 4x4 drivers do - mobile phones.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

esp having just come out the pub after confirming with other regulars that the spot is a cash cow and should have a yellow line 'cause i always ignore dropped kurbs anyhow.;)

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Since when? That is not an excuse.

Quite right, it's an exemption. They are as follows under the Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seatbelts) Regulations 1993:

•a person holding a medical certificate;

•the driver of or a passenger in a motor vehicle constructed or adapted for carrying goods, while on a journey which does not exceed 50 metres and which is undertaken for the purpose of delivering or collecting any thing;

•a person driving a vehicle while performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing; a qualified driver (within the meaning given by regulation 17 of the. Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999) who is supervising the holder of a provisional licence (within the meaning of Part 111 of the Act) while that holder is performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

•a person by whom, as provided in the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999, a test of competence to drive is being conducted and his wearing a seat belt would endanger himself or any other person;

•a person driving or riding in a vehicle while it is being used for fire brigade or, in England, fire and rescue authority or police purposes or for carrying a person in lawful custody (a person who is being so carried being included in this exemption);

•the driver of—

(i) a licensed taxi while it is being used for seeking hire, or answering a call for hire, or carrying a passenger for hire, or . .

(ii) a private hire vehicle while it is being used to carry a passenger for Hire;

•a person riding in a vehicle, being used under a trade licence, for the purpose of investigating or remedying a mechanical fault in the vehicle;

•a disabled person who is wearing a disabled-person's belt; or

•a person riding in a vehicle while it is taking part in a procession organised by or on behalf of the Crown.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

I hold my hands up! That'll teach me for being a smart alec.

Quite why you'd need to take off your belt to reverse in an ordinary car is beyond me though.

Edited by Al27

Hi there,

A similar thing happened to me last month....I was eating some nuts as I was driving thorugh the town with my baby in the car. Iwas going around 10 miles ph.......I unclipped my belt as I dropped a nut beside handbrake....

Dont know why but I did unclip the belt and low an behold the police were behind me and followed me for a few seconds ....before I noticed them I had put my belt back on and then 10 seconds later the flashing light stopped me in my tracks...unmarked police cars and not very apologetic...

I was in the wrong and have paid the price...I havent had a chance to pay the ticket and is has now increased from the 60 to 90 pounds. What a time to have an unexpected bill.

But I agree with all that has been said I normally where my belt at all times I had hoped officers discretion would maybe count for something....but.....only me to blame.

You were driving. With a baby in the car. Eating nuts, one of which dropped, and you thought it was a good idea to unclip your belt and go searching for that nut whilst in motion? And it took you a while to notice them following you?

Thank goodness you got stopped before your total stupidity killed somebody.

Pregnancy alone is not a valid medical exemption - unless you can convince your GP.

The reason being that the belt is supposed to go across the hips, not the stomach.

The diagonal part of the belt on the drivers side of a RHD car will go across the stomach. The hip belt will not, nor should it go across the uterus or womb which is what I think you meant in the context of pregnancy.

:p:D:p

Fester Tester = Plonker

"You were driving. With a baby in the car. Eating nuts, one of which dropped, and you thought it was a good idea to unclip your belt and go searching for that nut whilst in motion? And it took you a while to notice them following you?

Thank goodness you got stopped before your total stupidity killed somebody."

Do you have a problem with driving with a baby in a car- eating whilst driving a 10mph- or not wearing a seatbelt for around 45 seconds...........Yes an old fester tester may be liable to be stupidly killed if they walked out in front of me even at 10mph....get real

Such negative vibes do not do anyone any good.

Judemental people eh!

Fester Tester = Plonker

"You were driving. With a baby in the car. Eating nuts, one of which dropped, and you thought it was a good idea to unclip your belt and go searching for that nut whilst in motion? And it took you a while to notice them following you?

Thank goodness you got stopped before your total stupidity killed somebody."

Do you have a problem with driving with a baby in a car- eating whilst driving a 10mph- or not wearing a seatbelt for around 45 seconds...........Yes an old fester tester may be liable to be stupidly killed if they walked out in front of me even at 10mph....get real

Such negative vibes do not do anyone any good.

Judemental people eh!

if we weren't around, fools would drive even more dangerously.

if you think what you did was acceptable then the plonker label belongs to you.

can't believe you don't realise the dangers............

dx

and they

Fester Tester = Plonker

eating whilst driving a 10mph- or not wearing a seatbelt for around 45 seconds...........

There have been high profile cases of people being fined while eating or drinking when STOPPED at traffic lights.

It is against the law to drive forward at any speed without wearing a seatbelt,whether it is 45 seconds or 45 minutes.There are a few exceptions to this law, your circumstances are not one of them.

Bertie, hate to say it but I think you have answered your own question really! You wondered how the police officer could have seen you without a seatbelt, behind tinted windows and sitting high up, but by your own admission you weren't wearing the seat belt so obviously the police officer saw correctly. I know it seems unfair when we see constantly people on their mobile phones while driving and nothing gets done while they just get off with it - but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say 'yes, I got it wrong'.

I was in the wrong I broke the law.....It is hard to think you would get any slack from most of the Police Officers that WE employ nowdays. So many of them have had difficult child hoods in particular shool days that make them the people they are today....grrr.

To come up with a statement like that tends to make me think its you that has 'issues'.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks