E-On, Do I have to pay a year on?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help with this, I've not a clue what to do.

The situation is:

I lived in a one bedroomed flat with only electricity (no gas) for 6 months. I paid my bills on time, every time and upon leaving my flat I gave in details of meter readings for the Final Bill. Which I paid, I even Received £70 back from E-on saying they had charged me too much.

Now, A year since I moved out I have received a bill for £350.00 from E-on, saying that the Final Bill they sent me was only a estimated bill and now they have figured out that I owe them £350.00, I have spoken to E-on, the first time I was told the current tenant has queried the readings and that they were wrong for both myself and the tennant who moved in after me.

The second time I rang them I spoke to the Managed, explained my situation, that I paid my bills, gave a final reading and that they even gave me £70 back. I was told they'd get back to me, which they did a couple of days later, the situation now is that E-on say they never receieved a final reading and that I still owe them £350 .... a YEAR later. They "kindly" agreed that they would allow me £6 my £350 bill.

Is this right? should I pay a billl a year after I moved out when I gave them final readings?

Thanks for any help in advance.

no they cant do that

if they have not sent you a bill in 12mts they cannot now bill you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Quote the billing code at them:

The code of Practice for Accurate bills (the Code) has been developed by the Energy Retail Association (ERA) with POwergen, British Gas, EDF Energy, nopwer and Scottish Power to address action raised in Ofgem's response to the Billing Super Complaint for domestic customers.

These companies all support the independantly-audited Code of Practice and are committed to the Code as a minimum standard of service for customers. The Code states that:

"From the 1st July 2006 where the supplier has been at fault in not billing a domestic customer the supplier will not send a bill which includes energy consumed more than 2 years previous to the bill being issued. From 1st July 2007 this period will reduce to 1 year" (Clause 3.5)

This Code is effective from 1 July 2006.

This policy does not apply to

Business customers

Customers paying on a prepayment meter (there is a seperate policy for PPM)

Customers obtaining energy illegally (e.g. interfering with their meter)

2.1 Energy Consumption

2.1.1 A bill has not been sent in two years

Where the supplier is at fault in not billing a customer in the previous two years, we will not bill a customer for more than two years worth of consumption unless it's in the customer's favour; the consumption relating to the oldest period (i.e. the period older than two years) will be withdrawn.

For the purpose of 2.1.1, the supplier is at fault where they have made no attempt to bill or communicate with an existing customer during the previous 24 months.

Specific exclusions

The supplier is not at fault where

A new customer has failed to notify the supplier that they are living in the property and we have sent letters to the address or we have continued communicating with the previous occupier

The property is newly built and the supplier is unaware of its usuage

The customer has deliberately taken steps to avoid a bill being sent

2.1.2 An inaccurate bill has been sent previously

Where the supplier is at fault in under-billing a customer by sending inaccurate bills, when issuing a corrected one, the supplier will not collect for any additional consumption (i.e. the shortfall between what was bills and what was used) that is more than two years old. This difference will be withdrawn if applicable.

Specific exclusions

The supplier is not at fault if

The energy billed previously was based on incorrect information and the correct information was not available to them at the time (e.g. technical specifications of the meter (such as number of dials))

For technical reasons, a bill issued previously has to be withdrawn and reissued

However, in these cases, the supplier will review each case individually and may apply a "poor service" adjustment to the account if it is appropriate.

For the purpose of 2.1.2, the supplier is not at fault if they can demonstrate that they have taken all of the following actions:

A. Read or attempted to read the meter at the premises within the last 24 months

B. Provided opportunities for the customer to submit their own meter reading at any time on any day; and

C. Any bills sent to the customer are clearly indicated as estimates (if applicable) and that these have been based on any previous history, or (if not available) on average consumption for a similar property.

2.2 Insufficient payments - Fixed direct debit and Regular cash payment

For customers who are paying on an agreed budget scheme, we will review their account at least once every 2 years to ensure that their payments are sufficient to cover their energy usuage. Where the supplier is at fault in failing to carry out such a review, we will not hold customers responsible for any deficit resulting from underpayments from any period older than 2 years (from the date when the account is next reviewed); the deficit resulting from the underpayment to the oldest period (i.e the period older than two years) will be cancelled.

Specific exclusions

Customers must have been paying the agreed installments; those that have missed payments or failed to pay the agreed amount will not be covered by this policy.

For the purpose of 2.2, the supplier is not at fault if we have carried out all the following actions in addition to A and B above:

D. The customer has been correctly set up on the suppliers billing system and they have been sending statements showing actual or estimated consumption.

E. The supplier has assessed the payment within the last 24 months based on actual or a reasonable estimate of the customer's energy consumption or the supplier has sent letters to the customer requestion a factual reading to enable them to reasses their payments.

F. For direct debit customers only, the payments have been set up correctly and the supplier is taking the pre-agreed payments.

3. Poor service

Where the supplier ar enot at fault, customers are not entitled to have any amount of their energy bill cancelled. Should the supplier believe compensation is required due to service issues, this will be considered seperately as poor service.

4. Staff training

The supplier should endeavour to follow this policy and staff will be trained appropriately. If an error in the application of this policy occurs, the supplier will correct this as soon as they become aware of it.

5. Compliance

This policy will be audited both internally and externally at agreed regular periods. Customers who are unhappy about the way their account has been dealt with can follow the suppliers complaints procedure. If this fails to remedy the complaint, the customer can refer the dispute to the Energy Supply Ombudsman.

In line with actions agreed with the ERA, suppliers will record, monitor amd report their performance against the Code.

Quick question,

Do the OFT debt collection guidelines still apply in these circumstances when they are collecting payments? and proposing doorstep visits? ,,

Cheers

-

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, my comments are based on information learnt or

obtained and from my own experiences.

-

Case 1 - C L Finance - Court Case 'Stayed' :-). Stay Lifted - N149 AQ Received & Filed. Case Struck Out :grin:

-

Case 2 - C L Finance - Defence Filed. N150 AQ Received & Filed. Case 'Settled by Consent' :)

-

Case 3 - EOS Solutions - No Agreement - Account Closed ~£3500. :grin:

-

Advice & opinions offered freely but informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment and seek advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

doorstep visits ... who?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just checking info. will start our own thread shortly.

eon keeps coming around and leaving letters charging £30 at a time.

GD

-

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, my comments are based on information learnt or

-

Case 1 - C L Finance - Court Case 'Stayed' :-). Stay Lifted - N149 AQ Received & Filed. Case Struck Out :grin:

-

Case 2 - C L Finance - Defence Filed. N150 AQ Received & Filed. Case 'Settled by Consent' :)

-

-

Advice & opinions offered freely but informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment and seek advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

really, thats unlike e-on...

sure its them?

dx

and they

-

-

-

-

-

Quote the billing code at them:

The code of Practice for Accurate bills (the Code) has been developed by the Energy Retail Association (ERA) with POwergen, British Gas, EDF Energy, nopwer and Scottish Power to address action raised in Ofgem's response to the Billing Super Complaint for domestic customers.

These companies all support the independantly-audited Code of Practice and are committed to the Code as a minimum standard of service for customers. The Code states that:

"From the 1st July 2006 where the supplier has been at fault in not billing a domestic customer the supplier will not send a bill which includes energy consumed more than 2 years previous to the bill being issued. From 1st July 2007 this period will reduce to 1 year" (Clause 3.5)

This Code is effective from 1 July 2006.

This policy does not apply to

Business customers

Customers paying on a prepayment meter (there is a seperate policy for PPM)

Customers obtaining energy illegally (e.g. interfering with their meter)

2.1 Energy Consumption

2.1.1 A bill has not been sent in two years

Where the supplier is at fault in not billing a customer in the previous two years, we will not bill a customer for more than two years worth of consumption unless it's in the customer's favour; the consumption relating to the oldest period (i.e. the period older than two years) will be withdrawn.

For the purpose of 2.1.1, the supplier is at fault where they have made no attempt to bill or communicate with an existing customer during the previous 24 months.

Specific exclusions

The supplier is not at fault where

A new customer has failed to notify the supplier that they are living in the property and we have sent letters to the address or we have continued communicating with the previous occupier

The property is newly built and the supplier is unaware of its usuage

The customer has deliberately taken steps to avoid a bill being sent

Where the supplier is at fault in under-billing a customer by sending inaccurate bills, when issuing a corrected one, the supplier will not collect for any additional consumption (i.e. the shortfall between what was bills and what was used) that is more than two years old. This difference will be withdrawn if applicable.

Specific exclusions

The supplier is not at fault if

The energy billed previously was based on incorrect information and the correct information was not available to them at the time (e.g. technical specifications of the meter (such as number of dials))

For technical reasons, a bill issued previously has to be withdrawn and reissued

However, in these cases, the supplier will review each case individually and may apply a "poor service" adjustment to the account if it is appropriate.

For the purpose of 2.1.2, the supplier is not at fault if they can demonstrate that they have taken all of the following actions:

A. Read or attempted to read the meter at the premises within the last 24 months

B. Provided opportunities for the customer to submit their own meter reading at any time on any day; and

C. Any bills sent to the customer are clearly indicated as estimates (if applicable) and that these have been based on any previous history, or (if not available) on average consumption for a similar property.

2.2 Insufficient payments - Fixed direct debit and Regular cash payment

For customers who are paying on an agreed budget scheme, we will review their account at least once every 2 years to ensure that their payments are sufficient to cover their energy usuage. Where the supplier is at fault in failing to carry out such a review, we will not hold customers responsible for any deficit resulting from underpayments from any period older than 2 years (from the date when the account is next reviewed); the deficit resulting from the underpayment to the oldest period (i.e the period older than two years) will be cancelled.

Specific exclusions

Customers must have been paying the agreed installments; those that have missed payments or failed to pay the agreed amount will not be covered by this policy.

For the purpose of 2.2, the supplier is not at fault if we have carried out all the following actions in addition to A and B above:

D. The customer has been correctly set up on the suppliers billing system and they have been sending statements showing actual or estimated consumption.

E. The supplier has assessed the payment within the last 24 months based on actual or a reasonable estimate of the customer's energy consumption or the supplier has sent letters to the customer requestion a factual reading to enable them to reasses their payments.

F. For direct debit customers only, the payments have been set up correctly and the supplier is taking the pre-agreed payments.

3. Poor service

Where the supplier ar enot at fault, customers are not entitled to have any amount of their energy bill cancelled. Should the supplier believe compensation is required due to service issues, this will be considered seperately as poor service.

4. Staff training

The supplier should endeavour to follow this policy and staff will be trained appropriately. If an error in the application of this policy occurs, the supplier will correct this as soon as they become aware of it.

5. Compliance

This policy will be audited both internally and externally at agreed regular periods. Customers who are unhappy about the way their account has been dealt with can follow the suppliers complaints procedure. If this fails to remedy the complaint, the customer can refer the dispute to the Energy Supply Ombudsman.

In line with actions agreed with the ERA, suppliers will record, monitor amd report their performance against the Code.

Hi, does that mean if EDF sent me incorrect bills for approx 15 months with an incorrect meter number on the bill - which I kept telling them was wrong!! that I should not have to pay for the first 3 months of electric? The correct bill was Sep 2008 - Meter was changed June 2007 - by EDF!

This problem has left me in debt of over £1000 (even after making massive overpayments the last 6 months), if I could wipe off June - Sep, that's probably £250-£300...

thanks in advance

CC

but what about-

Hi, just to give a quick update - also, sorry for jumping on this thread!

I successfully manged to get 20% off my balance cleared by quoting the billing code at EDF. It worked out at just over £240.

They did say as they were billing me it wasn't applicable but I advised I had the code in front of me and read out:

Where the supplier is at fault in under-billing a customer by sending inaccurate bills, when issuing a corrected one, the supplier will not collect for any additional consumption

She put me on hold and said it wasn't applicable but as a good will gesture offered 10% (£120) off my balance and I declined, I said I estimate it to be closer to £300, she said at a push she could offer 20% - I accepted.

What a result - thanks CAG - can't believe I just stumbled across this code!!

DJ Bicker, as you gave them a meter reading when you moved out abnd as meters are not difficult to read (unless it was an old dial meter), then EON can't now bill you saying they didn;t get the final reading off you - after they had given you a £70.00 refund. The cheek of it!

Was this flat rented by any chance? Just that a regular occurance is when the property has been vacant between each occupant, the landlord has gone in and done some work but passed the reads onto the previous or current occupant. Naughty, but has happened. Also if it was rented, was it through a letting agent as they normally take readings as part of the inventory.

int...the OP hasn't been on for a week now

obviously sorted

dx

and they

still not sorted unfortunately, been back and forward for a while now, thanks for everyones advice.

And yes it was rented clare, but even if that has happened I can't see it adding up to 350..

Trying to get Citizens Advice to help me.. it seems no many people like to help poor students :(

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering about the Billing Code that was mentioned.

I paid an estimated final bill for a property I moved out from last year. About 6 days before the 1 year anniversary of moving out I received a bill that was £300 more. Eon say they made a mistake on the estimation and I therefore have to pay the rest.

I am still disputing this and wonder what part of the billing code i can put forward to them??

Hi Otisan, this wouldn't fall under the Billing Code firstly as you didn't provide a read when you moved out so it is a catch up bill for gas/elec you have used and secondly it is less than a year ago.

Prior to your final bill were your bills estimated for quite a while? The only way this could possibly fall under the billing code is if Eon did not attempt to read the meter for at least 15 months...

• 1 month later...

I should probably let you know what happened next... Great News!! I complained and complained and just kept getting the same answers, that they made a mistake bla bla. Anyways, I was watching the gadget show and they said there was some website with all the CEO email addresses on it. So that is what I did, I emailed the CEO.

The next day a woman phoned saying that there was in fact a mistake on the account and I actually only had to pay £50!! Now £300 is a pretty big mistake if you ask me, but luckily I will not have to pay this.

I dont remember this website, but just Google CEO email addresses or something and it should come up. I cannot recommend this enough, but am still pretty angry how their complaints department couldn't have sorted this in the first place!!