Can someone check my account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been lurking on CAG for a few months but now I'd like to get my head straight on an account I have with Equidebt.

The story:

I was in my first year of uni and had an Abbey account, when I decided to move since I was getting frustrated by their service. I decided to use HSBC, and I told HSBC that I had an account with Abbey and said I would like to cancel that one and transfer the balance over. HSBC did not cancel the Abbey account, and looking back it was bad as I was constantly going out and didn't realize it at the time. So, this means I have 2 student accounts which I decided to keep. Cut a long story short, I got deep into the overdraft of the Abbey account which was £1250 off the top of my head. I completely forgot about my Abbey account and didn't pay any cash into it so no surprise when Equidebt call and I just said ok and started doing payments to it. As far as I recall, I have not missed a payment on this, since Equidebt contacted me in September 2007.

Now the interesting bit:

1) While looking for something else in the organiser I have with loads of paper out, I found the original letter from Equidebt which said that the outstanding balance was £1369.08. How can I owe them more than the overdraft limit? Can these be bank charges? It's the only thing I can think that they could be, so in theory I should call Equidebt and state that I would like to reclaim the bank charges citing financial hardship? Is this possible?

2) I am living with my parents. I stayed in the same property throughout uni, until 2008. I then moved about during the summer, before going back to uni for one more year but to a different house. I guess this falls in my part, because I knew that if I changed my address to my pernament address then my parents would open the letters that come every 3 months for a payment review. They would open anything, they even opened up my uni letters which I didn't get asked about, or I would get asked about letters for me. Back to the Equidebt matter, I just want to sort this mess out that I made myself. I've always made sure that I've got enough money (which isn't easy when looking for work) to cover my monthly payments, and have always had the intention of paying all of it off. Currently, I believe that the outstanding balance is around £400.

Right, so I would like to continue with my payments and the debt could possible be paid for completely in 3 months time. I am considering updating Equidebt's records for a correspondence address but I do NOT want any letters coming from them. I am serious, I could get kicked out of the houes if my parents found out.

I would appreciate it if anybody could give me some advice on those 2 questions.

Many thanks,

Equidebt won't have the details of the account - all they will have been given is an amount of money to collect. To find out about the increase in amount on the overdraft you have to make a Subject Access Request to Abbey.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resour...est-debt-a-dca

Enclose a £10 postal order and they have 40 days to reply.

Don't give Equidebt your address - it's none of their business. If you want mail re-directed you can always get a PO Box address from the Post Office.

Far be it from me to criticise your parents but opening someone else's mail is a criminal offence - and why would they throw you out for having a student overdraft?? Strange.

Far be it from me to criticise your parents but opening someone else's mail is a criminal offence - and why would they throw you out for having a student overdraft?? Strange.

Don't worry I'm not offended I absolutely agree with you. They just like being in the 'loop'. Noisy eh? They've always known about the overdraft, even deciding to use it to reduce their outgoings and 'top me up' when needed. I just let things get out of control, and they would just go mad about me being in debt. I'm already having problems with them, mainly because of my girlfriend (it's just been over 9 months) who I got told would never be accepted. In general, we're just having problems with money and my mum's into insurance and goes phycho about actual amounts of money.

Just another question, I'm thinking about applying for a SIM only monthly rolling contract from Orange. Apparently they are less strict about their credit check, but when I went to apply online they asked for addresses for the last 3 years so I stopped the application. Would me in the middle of doing the repayments to Equidebt affect an application if I made it? I have a Capital One card which I applied for back in February as a way to start to tidy up my credit history, so I was going to use that to pay the rolling contract bills. Obviously paying Capital One on time each month. Anyway, whilst I know any applications for credit are put on your file, do they specify the address used as I would have to give the parents address to get the SIM?

Edited by citizenX

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

sorry for the lack of an update but I've been busy with my bank account after having some fraud done on it.

Can someone check that my amended SAR request is fine?

Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

Please supply me with all data that you hold on me. This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-

1. The original signed, executed credit agreement/s and any terms and conditions that applied to the account/s at the time of default and at the time the account/s was/were opened.

2. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with Abbey.

3. True copies of any notice of assignment and default notices or enforcement notice that you/or name of the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

4. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account/s, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date/s they were/ it was added and deleted.

5. Details of any collection charges added to the account/s; specifically, the date they were/it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was/charges were calculated, and what the charge covers/charges cover.

6. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account/these accounts and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

7. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

8. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

9. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement/s.

10.Termination notices

PLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec)

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply all the above documents in line with the Information Commissioners Technical Guidance update (Dated August 2007)

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

Yours faithfully,

So on the postal order, I will write Abbey as the beneficery?

Cheers

Yes thats fine and this is the address you need to send it to. Make the postal order payable to Abbey. They are pretty quick to respond (well they were with mine) so keep an eye on the postman arriving with it.

Data Protection Manager

Data Protection Team

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey House

201 Graftons Gate East

Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Just been on the phone with Equidebt after having a spreadsheet and some questions ready for their advisor. I currently owe them £415.17, but told them about the bank charges which I believe make up of £119.1. The advisor said he would take the charges off but he didn't mention how much the balance would be afterwards *. He went off the phone for a few minutes and then said if I would pay up £295.96 within 2 weeks then it would all be wiped clean and Abbey would update my credit file.

* : I calculated on my spreadsheet that I would actually be paying slightly more, since the balance after the charges would be £295.07.

It is in a way a result, but I think he got abit scared when I started asking him very specific questions. Anyway, I told him I would think about it so I got his name and said I'd be in touch soon.

I have abit of a dillemma, I applied for a bank account a week ago which would include an interest free overdraft that I could use to pay off the deal if I accept it. The bank said it would take about 2 weeks to let me know if the application was successful or not, so I'm not sure if I would be able to get it in time since he said I would need to let them know if I would accept it or not in a few days.

I could be debt-free finally after 2 years of being with Equidebt, but I have no idea how I could get that cash together quickly,

Does any one have any ideas/suggustions?

Many Thanks,

Right, I've decided that I will accept this deal. I've realized I will be able to get this money organised but it will take abit of shifting and fingers crossed everything is done on time. I would like to notify Abbey of this deal, so that I don't recieve any contact from other DCA's about this debt.

I've drafted a letter which I want to send to Abbey as soon as possible. Can someone just check I've got everything covered? I don't have the actual bank account information for the Abbey account, but I certainly have the reference number that Equidebt has. Will this be enough for this letter?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Reference No: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I write in reference to the money you are claiming for the above account.

In a telephone conversation on 7th September 2009, an agreement was made between an Equidebt employee and myself regarding this account. This agreement will be that I will pay £295.96 for the full and final settlement of this account. This agreement is on the following conditions:

-Abbey will make any entry on a credit reference file relating to the above account as “Satisfied” in full.

-Abbey, or any associate company will not take any other action to enforce or pursue this debt in anyway whatsoever and that I will be released from any liability.

Once I have received a reply from Abbey regarding this letter, and Abbey, in writing, agrees to the conditions outlined above, I will contact Equidebt within 21 days of receiving this reply to arrange payment.

Everything ok? :)