Living Overseas - DCA Question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I have an outstanding debt on an HSBC credit card. It has been turned over to a DCA (Metropolitan). It is about 3500. I live in Australia and am not planning to return to live in the UK. I also have not contacted anyone about this account in about a year, but still get letters from the DCA. I am planning a visit to the UK in about a month. Can they stop me at the airport?

Also, can they try and get a DCA here to collect the debt? I have no property in the UK anymore, not even family or anything else...just going to see friends...

Can anyone please advise?

Yes...somehow they managed to get my work address and my mobile number...they have quit calling...I hung up on them too many times...

Ha..let them waste postage writing to you in Oz, If it were me Id be sooo tempted to keep them talking for hours to Oz just to bump up their phone bill..ha

No..Of course they cant stop you at the airport..I know its been said umpteen times on here but..DCA's have no powers !

I've no idea what kind of credit checking is used in Oz but i doubt it is linked in any way to the UK ones, but I may be wrong.

Andy

What about New Zealand? They are also writing me at the employer there as I am based in both....I am resident in NZ....and they are sending me (and calling me) there as well...there is very limited information on NZ in the above forum...

Edited by DonerKebab

There is - but it's buried in amongst the other posts.

Basically the same story - they can pester you but chuff all else as the debt is only legally enforceable in the UK.

There was a poster who was having some problems with one NZ DCA who had managed to get his UK debts listed on the NZ credit files even though they were disputed. Apparently there is some loophole in the NZ legislation that allowed them to post OS debts like this. They couldn't do anything to collect them so they screwed up his credit rating instead! It's completely ridiculous for any number of reasons - such as they had to convert the debt from sterling to NZ dollars before they could post it even though the exchange rate changed on a daily basis so the figures were always wrong!

The last I heard, the original poster was taking legal action against them.

If you want advice on NZ / AUS debt matters, I'd suggest you join the ex-pat forum. Although the CAG forums are superb, there aren't many members posting with questions like yours.

The actions of DCA's maybe be annoying like insects flying around you but ultimately harmless and easily swatted, as others have pointed out the only problem would be if your NZ or OZ credit files were messed with, I have no idea about this, it would make an interest topic, sticky maybe ?. if someone knew more about this subject.

Andy

There seems to a bit of a lapse in the Consumer protection legislation of the two counties. Here in Australia, there is no way that any overseas debts can be listed on our credit files.

NZ, on the other hand, has allowed at least one DCA to post an overseas debt by converting it to NZ$ first. As just mentioned, the legality of this is currently being challenged.

So far, there has only been this one instance reported on the aforementioned ex-pat forum so it may be just an isolated case which can be blamed on a mistake by the Credit file people rather than a more widespread problem.

The good news on this particular case was that as soon as the person concerned told the credit file company the debt was in dispute (Which it was) they immediately removed it from their records.

Thanks for all of your help...calls have stopped in boith countries now, but letters keep arriving...but I guess that is why god created shredders,,,:cool:

How many poor trees must die at the hands of DCA's ? *sheds a tear*