Lemonade and beer?

Thailand
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A bit of a random one, but I recently got told (from a customer - me being the server) that it was illegal to charge for a lemonade top - same applies to shandy I suppose? I had also heard this and didn't disagree.

I went for a drink today with a mate and he told me this pub charges for the splash - or 'top' and that the social club he goes to has over-sized pint pots to accomodate the splash (thus making it chargable and nothing is lost pint-wise)

Anyway, I nicely put it to them 'I've heard this pub likes to charge for lemonade in a not-so-quite pint of lager', with the banter. She went on the defensive (assumed manager) and the barman secretly agreed it was wrong. Well, I know it is wrong - unless the oversized pint pot is in play, the lemonade is taking up the room of the beer...and we are being charged for both.

She got so cocky with no reason at all. It was my first and only pint btw (and I opted for a sweet cider, lol). We were told to contact the brewery because she 'was right'. Jeez, we were only enquiring to a point, I wonder why she was so defensive - red frustrated cheeks....the lot (heard it before I wonder).

It is wrong to charge that way? does anyone know why it is, or not?

Never knew the reason but when i worked at the local RBL we used to charge 10p for a top but knocked 5p of the pint.

Never had any complaints but then the RBL is cheaper anyway.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

It's a strange technicality.

Beer and cider can legally be sold in the following quantities:

Pint

1/2 Pint

1/3 Pint.

If a lager top is served in a brim measure (where the capacity is only achieved by filling the glas to the brim) then really you are getting a short measure.

However, it is accepted that beers can be sold with a deficiency of up to 5%, so you can get served 95% beer and 5% lemonade legally.

I suppose serving a full pint in a line measure, then adding lemonade on top would be a better idea, but line measures are not popular due to expense and complaints received about the measure being short.

i find its hte same with ordering lime with your lager..

Me personally, I love lager n lime, and have quite a lot of lime.. I go to some pubs, namely (Wxxxxxxxxxxns), and dont get charged for the lime, yet my local charge a whopping 70p extra!

Gets my goat, when there are no levels on the glass, and your getting similar to 7/8's of lager, the rest lime, and charged sometimes close to £2.80 for a pint..

Yet ask for a lime n soda, and your charged nothing!.. work that one out lol

Jollygreen, we charge £1.00 for lime and soda, lol.

I'm thinking that a cordial dash would equate to 5% roughly, so with my new info, that's ok....but a lemonade top needs more than that.

My mate got his splash in a seperate glass to make sure he didn't get swindled!

Cheers! (pun intended)

That's useful info... is that legal stuff from weights and measures? Just like to know next time it crops up.

Draught Beer and cider can legally be sold in the following quantities:

Pint

1/2 Pint

1/3 Pint.

Pre-packed beer and cider can be in other quantities.

Weights and Measures Act 1979 IIRC from about 20 years ago.