• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Monkeykiwi -v- MBNA/Virgin

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been reading and reading and reading through as many threads as I can re MBNA/Virgin, and I would be really grateful if someone would have a look at the copy of the agreement which MBNA recently sent through to me. It's not a great copy, but it's as good as it gets, sadly, although they did send a letter saying that it was 'the best copy' they could provide. I can actually just about read the copy they sent through to me, though, so don't think I can use the 'illegibility' standpoint.

Can you check if all prescribed terms are there?

It makes reference to another document, which isn't there.

Bizarrely, I found the T&Cs they sent through with the actual card in my pile of filing, and the APRs etc are completely different.

I would be grateful for as much advice as possible, because, bless their hearts, they have started sending us the postcards, are about to enter a DN, and sell it on to a third party. PLEASE HELP!!!

I haven't used photobucket before so hope this works:

Pictures by Monkeykiwi - Photobucket

Monkey,

Your "agreement" looks like so many others that have been posted and for the most part I believe they are being challenged.

Here is a link to the library where there are quite a few different copies of MBNA agrrements. See if there is one that is compatible with yours and read any comments posted with it.

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/609-mbna-agreementsapplication-forms

HTH.

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks Citizen. I have been through LOADS of the ones that I have seen on CAG, and whilst a number of them are similar, I haven't found one the same. As far as I can tell, there is an issue in proving that the back refers to the front. One other issue I have been reading about is that the Credit Limit was above the amounts in their magic table,and therefore there was no confirmation of the amount they would charge, but I don't know if that is strong enough for my next letter. On the basis that they haven't supplied the rest of the T&Cs referred to in this section, I suppose I could respond saying that they haven't complied with my Credit Agreement Request, and see if that holds things off for a little. However, having read everything I have I don't hold out much hope for that being a prevention of the DN ... Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Citizen. I have been through LOADS of the ones that I have seen on CAG, and whilst a number of them are similar, I haven't found one the same. As far as I can tell, there is an issue in proving that the back refers to the front. One other issue I have been reading about is that the Credit Limit was above the amounts in their magic table,and therefore there was no confirmation of the amount they would charge, but I don't know if that is strong enough for my next letter. On the basis that they haven't supplied the rest of the T&Cs referred to in this section, I suppose I could respond saying that they haven't complied with my Credit Agreement Request, and see if that holds things off for a little. However, having read everything I have I don't hold out much hope for that being a prevention of the DN ... Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Try responding with the template letter, but inserting:

OFT statement:

“The copy of the executed agreement need not be an exact copy but it must be a ‘true copy’ and not some reconstruction of what the original might have been and it must contain the same terms as the original. Where the terms have been varied as provided for within the agreement, the copy of the original agreement must be accompanied by a document setting out the current terms, as varied. Certain details may be omitted from the original agreement eg the signature but the debtor must be in no doubt as to the true nature of his obligations under the loan.

Should no original agreement be in existence it is very hard to say that the copy the creditor offers to the debtor is, in fact, a true copy as there would be no original with which to compare it. In our view the onus of proof would be on the creditor to show that the copy is a true one and where none existed he may have difficulty discharging this. Neither should creditors suggest that a consumer has signed a credit agreement where they are unable to provide evidence to support this — to do so is likely to be a misleading action under Regulation 5 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (the CPRs) and would also constitute an unfair or improper business practice.”

Most MBNA agreements are poor from this time.

I take it that you have already put the account in dispute?

MBNA will be hard pushed to sell the debt, without the origonal agreement, but they will try.

Hi

I have just won a case against MBNA for a credit card one of the reasons the county court judge dismissed the case was that the copy of the credit agreement was not clear and legible as prescribed under the CCA 1974 and it was deemed to be unenforceable, i would write and tell them that the agreement is unenforceable on these grounds

best of luck

Hi

I have just won a case against MBNA for a credit card one of the reasons the county court judge dismissed the case was that the copy of the credit agreement was not clear and legible as prescribed under the CCA 1974 and it was deemed to be unenforceable, i would write and tell them that the agreement is unenforceable on these grounds

best of luck

Yes,

The second template letter goes into the unenforceability issue.

Did the Judge write off the debt?

Well the original dispute with MBNA was over PPI and interest rate

MBNA applied PPI to the account although I did not apply for it and when I got in trouble they doubled the interest rate on the card.

In court MBNA breached the CCA 1974 by the following

1) Unclear credit agreement as stated earlier

2) failure to inform me of a raise in interest

3) failure to produce a default notice

Link who purchased the debt were in breach because they issued a default notice

1) After the commencement of court proceedings

2) they included court costs in the figure on the default notice

3) they did not allow me the correct time to comply withe the default notice