Advice Required - Shoplifting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there - on Saturday I went shopping in Eastcote with my partner at their local Budgens store. My partner, who was quite intoxicated, walked around the store collecting things that he needed as did I. We met up at the tills at the rear of the store where I was paying for my items, I assumed that he had already paid for his. Some time later we visited a local pub where he told me, quite proudly, that he had stolen his items. The conversation degenerated and I left. he followed me to my car (the stolen items were in the boot) and tried to assault me, then he tried to set fire to the rear headrest of my car (the roof was down giving him access). I refused to return the items to him and his threats of violence increased so I managed to get into my car, which he then spat on several times, collected my things from his home and left to return to my home.

When I returned home I emailed both Budgens and the Met Police to tell them what had happened. I still have the items in my posession and have offered to return them, but as I live 35 miles away it wont be instant.

My now ex-partner is currently sporting an electronic tag, monitored by Serco, for driving his mothers car and crashing it, without insurance, and being 3 times over the legal limit.

He has been contacting me via text message today telling me that he is appearing in court tomorrow and that I need to get in touch with him as the incident in Budgens involved me. I am in no hurry to speak to him but am concerned that he may have implicated me in some way as we both arrived at Budgens and left together, although only I paid for my shopping (I have the receipt).

I have also stressed to the Met Police that I am concerned for my own safety due to his violent nature.

I need to know what, if any, charges could be brought against me and what further charges he is likely to receive given that he is already tagged.

Please help, I am extremely worried.

Many thanks

you did the right thing and no need to worry about it. best thing to do ring police and chase it up with them, there must have an non-emergency number, explain again and see what there have to say, maybe a police will come round take a statement and take the items from you to return. you will have to provide details of your ex-partner and the police may check cctv if there was any, which is there is, then will prove your innocence

It's early days for the police to get back to you really. I'm suprised Budgens haven't been back in touch though. Under the circumstances I would think they would be happy to receive their goods back & doubt very much whether they would want to press charges & under those circumstances I doubt whether the police would pursue it any further.