You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• I suddenly got a text message from CRS just a few minutes ago saying their solicitors had issued a letter of claim.   Yet a couple of weeks ago their page said they were no longer dealing with this account. Yet suddenly it's open again and they are sending a letter of claim?   Help?
    • I've also just had an email about my NatWest credit card to say they were halving my credit limit but if I called them I might be able to keep the existing one. The reduced limit is still more than double the maximum monthly balance I have  had in the last 3 years. They say it's to bring it in line with my needs. I suspect it's something to do with an overall review of credit given but I don't know what exactly.
    • I was obviously clutching at straws on that one! I was putting the repeal together with the information below and considering that as I hadn't heard from the council for over 3 years that this might mean the charge / restriction was not now being pursued, particularly as the SAR disclosure did not show any entry for me from the Finance Dept. I fear I'm back to square one now.   After 1 April 2015 a Local Authority will only be able to recover unpaid care home fees by securing a judgment debt either in the County Court or the High Court (s69(1) of the Act).and The Act increases the time limit for the recovery of a debt comprising of unpaid care home fees from three years to six years from the date the sum becomes due      
    • Absolutely: The Homicide Act was repealed. So, after that they could no longer charge people for murder under the Homicide Act. (Not the greatest of examples, I accept, given murderers just get charged with murder being against the common law- but my point is:)   You can no longer be charged with Murder contrary to the homicide act. That doesn’t mean that those serving sentences for murder contrary to the Homicide Act, having been found guilty, had to be released the day the law was repealed.   Charges / restrictions couldn’t be placed under the repealed legislation (without e.g. a CCJ) once the Act was repealed. The repeal doesn’t mean existing charges / restrictions in force at the day of repeal have to be removed.
    • BazzaS Ah - now that complicates things - just when I thought I'd got my head round it!   I did think b] might be a source of worry for the purchaser. They have just instructed their solicitor yesterday but I haven't found one yet, preliminary enquiries didn't result in any clarity on the questions I posed. a] where do I find a CS who understands this and can share their knowledge with the buyer's CS?   I've no idea what the outstanding balance is as the council has not been in touch. I appealed many years ago and it wasn't resolved. I did do a SAR with the council and nothing came back from the Finance dept. so I was hoping my appeal had been accepted and the debt 'wiped' but they hadn't bothered to contact me. There were lots of changes up to the new Care Act 2014 which came into force on 01.04.15    Repeal: I was relying on the meaning below? Hence again I thought that's why the council hadn't pursued the debt and was just leaving the CO [or restriction] on the register to keep me on my toes!   If a government repeals a law, it causes that law no longer to have any legal force.   Thanks
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
SussexLady

Travelodge insurance question and warning

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3675 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Living on a tight budget I use the Travelodge online frequently. Recently they started adding £1 per booking insurance by default unless you un-tick it. As it's only a quid, I started paying it on every booking.

I booked 5 nights (had to book each one separately because their website would not let me book 5 together). Day before travelling went down with food poisoning, and cancelled the five bookings.

Got the claim form, the insurer is Heath Lambert. Filled in the form, got a certificate from my GP, submitted claim along with the booking reference numbers of each of the five bookings.

Heath Lambert say that I must submit every automatically-generated confirmation email that I received from TL regarding my five bookings and my five cancellations.

Because hundreds of emails come into my inbox daily, I habitually delete everything that I deem unecessary. This includes the avalanche of emails I get from TL. So, naturally, I do not have these emails.

Heath Lambert gave me an email address for travelodge customer services and despite 8 emails since 30 June they will not reply. When I phone they tell me they don't keep copies of confirmation emails.

Since I have the booking reference numbers, there is no doubt whatsoever that I had made and paid upfront for these bookings.

I feel that if they MUST have these emails in order to make a claim, then it should say so clearly alongside the "add insurance" box -- you know, warning, you claim will be invalid unless you can produce your confirmation of booking emails and confirmation of cancellation emails.

Are Heath Lambert being unreasonable, or trying to dodge out of paying me? Or am I the one in the wrong here?

I still book with TL, but I now un-tick the insurance box.

SussexLady

If you paid the £1 insurance premium then Travelodge must have passed an amount on to HL as they were the insurers. HL MUST have a record of just who they are insuring and for how long.

I think they are being unreasonable here. A lot of people delete their emails regularly and therefore wouldn't still have copies of the confirmation emails. I don't see why Heath Lambert insist on seeing these emails. Surely Travelodge must have a record of all the bookings you made?

If you still have the booking numbers then it should be OK. If you have any other proof of what you paid for the bookings, such as copies of credit card statements etc, then that should help as well.

Hi Geoff and Lemon

HeathLambert do not dispute that I made the booking or cancelled it. I have the booking reference numbers. But they are sticking to their guns -- no copies of the emails, no payout. I do also have debit card paper trail, but Heathlambert are not interested in that, because they are not disputing the booking.

So what about this ombudsman business? Do I qualify?

Hi,

Have you made a formal complaint verbally or in writing to HL? If not, I would recommend doing so; if no joy, then contact the Financial Ombudsman Service and register your complaint with them, it wont be a quick process though (is the average about 14 weeks, anyone?)

Hope this helps

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

Does it say anywhere in the terms and conditions of the insurance that you will be required to provide these confirmation emails?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Insuranceguy --- no, but will do!

Ell-enn --- no.

Bit puzzled over this. If you paid for insurance cover then surely the insurance company should be acting on your behalf. So why don't they pursue the hotel for the details, you've paid for their services after all.

It would also be interesting to know what information they can glean from the missing e-mails that cannot be found elsewhere. Ask them.

Refer them to their T & C's and ask them where it says you need these emails to claim.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I have finally found the clause in the t & cs

Your Room Cancellation Insurance

This policy wording along with Your Confirmation Email/Certificate forms the basis of Your contract of insurance. Together, these documents explain what You are covered for. The policy wording contains conditions and exclusions which You should be aware of. You must keep to all the terms and conditions of the insurance.

So I guess that is it. They "told me": "Your Confirmation Email".

That's it then. Always read the small print.

Thanks folks.

I don't think all is lost. With a standard insurance policy such as a home or motor policy, if someone loses the policy document they would still be covered so long as the insurance company/broker had a record of the cover. So I can't understand why this would be different. Surely deleting the confirmation email would be the same as losing a printed policy document?

Thanks Lemon. So shall I complain to the Ombudsman then?

Nope, its not the end. That does not say that you are required to produce the e-mails if requested! Its says "you must keep to the terms and conditions" not "you must keep the e-mails".

Greedy devils, you go get them.

Can you tell me how you got on with this? I'm going down the same path with Heath Lambert, wondered if you had any success?

Hi,

I have a similar experiance, booked for 2 nights and even though I given 4 weeks notice to cancel the room due to work commitments they are not interested. Seems you have to give a medical report or breakdown report from the AA in the event of breakdown etc. I am sure this insurance never pays out, and Travelodg gain twice on the booking of the room. Not a bad [problem].