You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• threads merged  please keep to one thread per issue.   dx  
    • read it proprly.. it doesn't say WILL anything and original creditors don't do court as they don't want the judge delving into their business model nor the bad publicity.   as for the FOS you just have to let it run. yours is a very short time since yo put it into them typically it always takes 6-9mts normally before they move on anything though they usually send you an ACK they have the complaint.        
    • Since the last post on this thread I have sent a complaint to the FOS but have not heard anything from them as yet either, I'm guessing they're rather snowed under and on reduced staff so no real surprise.   Still had nothing approaching help from lending stream but today they emailed me default notices for the loans, again demanding I phone them and pay up in full or they will begin court proceedings.   Any advice as to how I should proceed please?
    • Hi,   I received two PCNs in October 2019 from Havering Council. All the below applies to both PCNs, as the correspondences were at the same time:   Fast forward to February 2020, I file witness statements on grounds that I made representations within 28 days but did not receive a rejection notice.   The TEC cancelled charges.   Havering write to me asking for supporting evidence of representations that I made.   I email them screenshots with timestamps of the representations.   In early March Havering reply to me by email 'confirming receipt of email and both cases are now on hold pending an investigation. Please allow time for a full response to be sent.'   Fast forward to 18th June Havering write to me the attached:  Havering Charge Certificate.pdf   Now, it seems as though the sender of this letter is not up to date with both cases and is unaware of the TEC's decisions, as well as the email correspondence.   My questions are, 1) What should I do next? and 2) Is there a way to use their misstep to avoid paying for the PCN entirely?   Thank you.
    • New app launched by Veteran owned UK     READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-app-launched-by-veteran-owned-uk
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
M_A_A_B

O2 UK LTD (PREPAY) scam...

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3829 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Check your bank accounts carefully for unknown transactions...

I had two transactions totalling £30 taken from my account by O2 UK LTD (PREPAY). I have never had a phone with O2 and I dont know anyone who does.

Called my bank straight away...they cancelled my card etc...have since had a letter saying that it's not fraudulent and probably that someone known to me took my card and replaced it (no way this could have happened).

I now have to write an appeal letter to say that I did not carry out those transactions and no one else took my card. In the mean time, the transactions have caused me to go overdrawn so I'm in a bit of a viscious circle here :/

They want me to send evidence...anyone got any ideas of what I can send them as proof?

cheers

Halifax

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 30/1/2007

Prelim letter sent asking for total of 1571.52 - 15/3/2007

LBA sent 30/3/2007

court papers filed

Offer letter received - £1495.13

I find it rather strange that you have to prove that you did nothing wrong rather than the bank having to prove that you did. Can you ask the bank what evidence they have tp support their accusation that the transaction was not fraudulent. Similarly what makes them think that someone else took your card; proof please. You could perhaps suggest that it was one of their staff who perpetuated the fraud. You have as much proof of that as they do of someone else using your card.

I'm assuming this is a DEBIT card issue?

It is up to your bank to provide YOU with evidence, but ONLY if they refuse your claim to be reimbursed. The most common non-fraud issue is when people set up topp-ing up from a card, they may enter an incorrect number (yours) and it just happens to be valid. Customer not Present transactions (with no PIN) are often reversed without problem. It is when your PIN IS used, the problems really arise!

I'm assuming this is a DEBIT card issue?

It is up to your bank to provide YOU with evidence, but ONLY if they refuse your claim to be reimbursed. The most common non-fraud issue is when people set up topp-ing up from a card, they may enter an incorrect number (yours) and it just happens to be valid. Customer not Present transactions (with no PIN) are often reversed without problem. It is when your PIN IS used, the problems really arise!

It couldn't be a simple mis-typed number.

Whilst the first digit on a card relates to the card type (3 - Amex; 4 - Visa; 5 = Mastercard) and the next three identify the issuer, the last 12 have to conform to an algorithm (Luhn algorithm) that places a checksum number in the account number. You cannot change one number and still have a valid card number.

IOW, 4929 1234 5678 9012, may or not be a valid number (I don't know).

4 means it is Visa

929 means Barclaycard

1235 5678 9012 is the account number. If this were a valid card, changing any single digit will produce an invalid number (ie there is not a 1234 5678 9013)

As an aside, VAT numbers have to conform to an algorithm as well.

It couldn't be a simple mis-typed number

It can if there is a transposition - which was when I discovered it was possible, even when the CVV code was used. There was no referral, the payment was made and I had a call 48 hours later to confirm. Whilst my mis-remembering was an innocent mistake, it remains concievable that others could find themselves in the same situation.

As for the algorithms, I'm sure you are aware it is possible to utilise software that can generate these numbers (that will pass such check calculations) yet still NOT be a valid card account or VAT number?

It couldn't be a simple mis-typed number.

Whilst the first digit on a card relates to the card type (3 - Amex; 4 - Visa; 5 = Mastercard) and the next three identify the issuer, the last 12 have to conform to an algorithm (Luhn algorithm) that places a checksum number in the account number. You cannot change one number and still have a valid card number.

IOW, 4929 1234 5678 9012, may or not be a valid number (I don't know).

4 means it is Visa

929 means Barclaycard

1235 5678 9012 is the account number. If this were a valid card, changing any single digit will produce an invalid number (ie there is not a 1234 5678 9013)

As an aside, VAT numbers have to conform to an algorithm as well.

Your on the right lines but the first 6 numbers on the card is the bin number (bank identification number) 4929 is only part of a Barclaycard visa card.

There is more then 9000 card issuers in the world.

VISA issue a big directory with BANK bin numbers.

I seem to have been one of the latest victims of this [problem]. Noticed an odd payment on bank statement (luckily I do check it regularly) and after looking into it, and finding your threads, I have had to cancel my debit card for the 2nd time this year. Someone had been withdrawing money previously in Sri Lanka!!.

Anyway, I have also e mailed O2 and asked them to look into it from their end. Seems to have been going on for a long time.

I received a text message today from O2 UK ltd informing me of a transaction of £15 being put on my credit card, only problem being - I don't even have a credit card?

From all of the things i've found overe the internet of this [problem] it has been taken from legitimate accounts, does this mean someone has opened a credit card in my name/with my address etc?? and then someone has cloned it?

Spoke to the police earlier too and they told me just to be vigilant?

What can i do?

Nothing. It is a spoof.

Anyone can send a text message pretending to be anyone else - the giveaway is that it will have a 'normal' mobile number as the sender, which contrasts with a shortcode or no number whatsoever for netwtwork messages. Unfortunately, O2 also offer a direct input facility, so anyone with a computer can send bulk messages to mobile users of any network, without the tell-tale sender mobile number, so it's not a good guide, but at the end of the day, if you don;t have a creit card you've nothing t oworry about.

Do you have a debit card?

Best thing to advise is that if you have a debit card then just check your bank account.

If you don't have a debit card then just delete the text message and forget about it.

I had two transactions totalling £30 taken from my account by O2 UK LTD (PREPAY).

Same thing has happened to me. Were the transactions each for £15 on the same day; and is your bank Barclays?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/219868-barclays-lost-letters.html

Just had the same scan on monday. Two separate £15 top ups on visa. I have no o2 products and don't know anybody who has. Seems to have been going on for years, can't understand why they don't tighten things up. Bank is refunding money - I don't know if o2 still benefit? Only seem to have happened since I had a visa debit card.

Bank is refunding money - I don't know if o2 still benefit? Only seem to have happened since I had a visa debit card.
Your bank is not Barclays by any chance?

Thanks, geerbault.

I have a debit visa card, too. The only time I use my PIN is when I withdraw cash from the ATM. In the past few years I have paid in cash for goods & services (to avoid card being skimmed) except when I order goods online from Amazon or a monthly recurring charge for broadband (Virgin). Therefore, I am at a loss as to how the fraudsters got hold of my card details.

Hi there,

The same thing has happened to me, just noticed it a few mins ago.

2 seperate transactions from o2 UK LTD (prepay), but my bank was great about it to be honest, just called them up and everythings done, ofcourse the inconvenience of not having a card, but should have a new one in '5 working days'.

Lloyds rocks,

Just like to thank and encourage other people who experience this to write it up, its a bit surprising that a fraud like this has been around for as long as it has.

How is it that someone can do this fraud continuously for the last 3 years...?

Sal.

i have been charged by 2 different companies £30.00 from my bank account o2 uk ltd prepay and also t-mobile uk both for £30.00. someone has also been shopping at Jake Shoes for £101.99 when logged on the site is having maintainence work and am waiting for another sum of £210 and £134 to where i do not know, which the bank cannot stop as it has already been authorised.

My bank had already refunded the £30.00 for o2 and T mobile and am just waiting for the fraud investigation team to look into the other £400 odd pound that has now been taken out of my account to. i am just wondering they were internet transactions and am panicing weather these people now have my address for billing references to link the card to enable the transactions to go through. :mad::?:?

i have been charged by 2 different companies £30.00 from my bank account o2 uk ltd prepay and also t-mobile uk both for £30.00. someone has also been shopping at Jake Shoes for £101.99 when logged on the site is having maintainence work and am waiting for another sum of £210 and £134 to where i do not know, which the bank cannot stop as it has already been authorised.

My bank had already refunded the £30.00 for o2 and T mobile and am just waiting for the fraud investigation team to look into the other £400 odd pound that has now been taken out of my account to. i am just wondering they were internet transactions and am panicing weather these people now have my address for billing references to link the card to enable the transactions to go through. :mad::?:?

Im guessing the bank have canceled your card and issued you with a new card number?

Its a bit tricky to say how they got your card number but have you used the card in any restaurants, petrol stations or even over the phone?

The first 2 places have always been well known for compromising a card number.

With CNP transactions (card holder not present, mail order, internet) not all places take the last 3 numbers at the back of the card. Some places do some don't.

I do know that the bank I used to work for ( I used to work in fraud) used to either write off the fraud and refund the card holder or in some cases they where able to issue a charge back to the merchant.

I personally think from my experience that theres a 99% chance that they have not got your address.

Happened again to me today!! another £15 but yet on a credit card i don't have!!

werider and weirder huh?

you don't have? or do you mean you don't use?

i don't have one!!! well since this started i have since got a credit card but it's still not an #MBNA card and it very recent. msg was exactly the same as last time!!

someone with a little bit of knowledge and brains and a computer can actually create credit card numbers and guess them.

It just doesn't make sense!! the message was sent to my work mobile which is on an O2 network. This is good in a way i guess as they have no personal details of mine only the companys!! but still worrying all the same...

has someone applied for the credit card in your name?