• Tweets

• Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt Company will not accept my payment plan...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner has received a notice of distress from Newlyn regarding a debt of 330. This all goes back to her miss-paying her council tax by £8.50 last year :-x...

She phoned them up and said because we are currently on benefit she could only afford £20 a month payments. They said they wont accept this and can only accept they want £110 over three months. She said she could not afford this and they said she can pay £20 but they would be forced to send round the bailiffs.

Can they just send round the bailiffs even though I am willing to pay this fine, and can they just not accept my offer? The other problem is how do the bailiffs work out what belongs to my partner and what belongs to me. Can they come in and put a claim on the computer, wii and Tv which I paid for, even though it's my partners debt...

New development see post #19

Edited by MechJerk
Added information...

contact the council

go around there to the comunity charge section

tell them about this

that you will pay 10 quid a month

tell them as you are on benefit you are a vunrable person

ask the council if you can pay them direct

have you a break down of the baliffs charges, they have prob ripped you off

Sounds odd but we are not sure if she was. She does have a Magistrates liability order so I would imagine it has been taken to court, but she did not attend court, and we can't find any letter telling her it was going before a court.

postggj newlyn are saying that we cannot pay the council direct as it has been passed on to them.

They are charged us

167.78 for the council tax (8.50 debt and then various fines for not paying)

175.50 bailiff charge

this would be better posted in the bailiff section

you don't get a fine for not paying council tax you pay the costs of the liability order

175.50 bailiff charge

the bailiff is at it these charges are defiantly wrong

this would be better posted in the bailiff section

you don't get a fine for not paying council tax you pay the costs of the liability order

175.50 bailiff charge

the bailiff is at it these charges are defiantly wrong

Can they not charge £175?

Can they not charge £175?

no they cant

bailiffs charges are

1st visit fee £24.50 if no levy

2nd visit £18 again if no levy

if they did have a levy on a debt of £8.50 it would be

walking possession agreement £12

levy fee £12.50

if you are a vunrable person

the council have to act

being on benefit

children

pregnant

etc etc

go back to the council and tell them you are a vunrable person and the council can take the debt back from the baliffs

you have to be firm

demand to speak to a supervisor and if needs be, threaten to contact the local goverment ombudsmen

It doesn't matter what belongs to you or your partner. The bailiff has no right to enter your property unless you 'invite' him in or he gains peaceful entry. Peaceful entry being climbing through a window if you leave it open or coming through the door if you leave it unlocked. If they do knock at your home don't answer the door and they will soon leave.

Andy...

Been looking at the notice of distress properly and noticed it says:

Inventory of goods seized and distrained to which the above notice refers:

and then lists a car that is owned by someone across the road. Do I need to worry about this? I was reading that

""levied" upon a vehicle either on your driveway or on the road outside." - the car is parked on a main road, our house is the fourth house down a pedestraten cul de sac it would be a wild stab in the dark to even consider if to be our car.

The other thing is the notice of distresshasn't exactly got my partners name right, it's add an "s" on to her last name. What worries me is that if they can't even get her name right what else is going wrong???

I cant even believe the council have sent this small amount to court, not saying its not true but blimey!!!!!!! talk about petty.. any way it should not cost more than £45 costs plus another £50 court fees (It could be less not sure) so the most you owe the council is £103.50.

They can only charge you for the first visit, they cannot levy on a car that does not belong to you, so so far the amount is £128.00. I would write to the council asking what all these charges are as I think they are a little steep for just a small amount owing.

I cant even believe the council have sent this small amount to court, not saying its not true but blimey!!!!!!!

I agree and wonder if the council have actually got a liability order phone the council and ask them the date the liability order was granted and at what court

and then lists a car that is owned by someone across the road.

the only problem you have with this is the bailiff charges e-mail newlyn and tell them the car they have levied on does not belong to you tell them they can do a D V L A check to prove this and ask them to remove all charges connected with this if they refuse to remove the charges tell them you will file a form 4 complaint and get the court to remove the charges

Been looking at the notice of distress properly and noticed it says:

and then lists a car that is owned by someone across the road. Do I need to worry about this? I was reading that

""levied" upon a vehicle either on your driveway or on the road outside." - the car is parked on a main road, our house is the fourth house down a pedestraten cul de sac it would be a wild stab in the dark to even consider if to be our car.

The other thing is the notice of distresshasn't exactly got my partners name right, it's add an "s" on to her last name. What worries me is that if they can't even get her name right what else is going wrong???

I personally would let them take the car wrongly levied , they will be sued , charged criminally by the owner , whats it to do with you , their mistakes cost them , i wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire , sorry I hate bailiffs .

• 4 weeks later...

I asked Newlyn to break down the charges for me as they have now upped them to £343... They have never entered my property and have never taken anything but they say they can charge for attendance and services rendered...

there breakdown:

£167 - Debt

£24.50 - Visit Fee 1

£18.00 - Visit Fee 2

£28 - Levy Fees

£105 - Enforcement Fee

Are these correct how can the levy agaisnt nothing? They are also refusing to provide me with any information regarding the bailiff who attended my property as they believe I am looking to fail a form 4 against hi personally, and they believe this to be "vexatious"...

Edited by MechJerk

just looked at everything and I am now totally confused. Adding the charges together makes £175.50 which is what they charged me on there first visit (even though in there breakdown they have charged me for 2 visits). They have since visited again and upped it to £308.50 in charges.

So Newlyn have told me in writing I owe 343.28 and yet the bailiff is wanting 476.28, if they cant even get what I owe right no wonder i am complaining...

I asked Newlyn to break down the charges for me as they have now upped them to £343... They have never entered my property and have never taken anything but they say they can charge for attendance and services rendered...

there breakdown:

£167 - Debt

£24.50 - Visit Fee 1

£18.00 - Visit Fee 2

£28 - Levy Fees

£105 - Enforcement Fee

Are these correct how can the levy agaisnt nothing? They are also refusing to provide me with any information regarding the bailiff who attended my property as they believe I am looking to fail a form 4 against hi personally, and they believe this to be "vexatious"...

They cannot refuse you the information you requested and they know this

This taken from Department for Constitutional Affairs - Enforcement - National Standards for Enforcement Agents

• Enforcement agents should always produce relevant identification on request, such as a badge or ID card, together with a written authorisation to act on behalf of the creditor.

I think are trying to charge me a "Attending to Remove" fee, but I am under the impression that they have to have actually gain entry to the property before they can do this. Am I able to file a form 4 if I don't have the information regarding the bailiff who is attending my property?

I think are trying to charge me a "Attending to Remove" fee, but I am under the impression that they have to have actually gain entry to the property before they can do this. Am I able to file a form 4 if I don't have the information regarding the bailiff who is attending my property?

If this is council tax we are on about here then no they cannot, however they can levy on a car and charge you a levy fee, but not an enforcement fee.. I think I am right in saying that there is no such thing. If the baliff agency are refusing to give you the details then request them from the council, Ask the bailiff for a screen shot of your account/file.

I can only guess at this stage the reason why they are not giving you this information is because they know the bailiff was in the wrong.

...however they can levy on a car and charge you a levy fee...

I thought that was maybe what they had done as on the first two "Notice Of Distress" they put through my door, in the "inventory of Goods Seized and distrained" they have put my neighbors car registration. But the last notice I received didn't list the car and was blank and so I assumed they had realised it wasn't my car. Can I use this against them surely if they are going to charge me for the levy they have to do it everytime?