• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mr Landy v Debenhams Card PPI **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone:)

As if I don't have enough of these things to deal with I've decided to add another to the mix!

I have been going through Mr Landy's old Debenhams Card paperwork. Much of it is missing, but we do have a copy of the application/agreement signed in store. I can't post it up because our scanner has conked out, but -

There are two places for customer signature on the agreement - one for the card itself and one for PPI (it's a bit hard to read being a pink carbon copy).

Mr L has signed in both places, but I believe he may have signed the PPI box in error because typed on the agreement in the space at the top it says 'This account is to be set up without Account Cover'. Having checked the few statements we still have - he was paying PPI.

We haven't yet done a SAR to Debs/GE Money, but intend to do so when we have some spare cash.

This card was only in use for a while - just over 2 years - and has not been used since 2007. There probably aren't many charges as such but the PPI will probably add up to a bit and as it looks as though they added it despite the note on the application saying he didn't want it.........

I remember we had a few other things with GE companies in the past - at least one loan and one or two lots of car finance, but these were with GE Capital Bank/GE Woodchester - are they all one and the same? If so would it show up on a SAR to GE Money?

We probably had PPI on these also, but have not kept any paperwork as this would have been during the 90's.

Oh well, that's another can of worms I seem to have opened:eek:

Any help would be appreciated as always, thank you!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

As if I don't have enough of these things to deal with I've decided to add another to the mix!

I have been going through Mr Landy's old Debenhams Card paperwork. Much of it is missing, but we do have a copy of the application/agreement signed in store. I can't post it up because our scanner has conked out, but -

There are two places for customer signature on the agreement - one for the card itself and one for PPI (it's a bit hard to read being a pink carbon copy).

Mr L has signed in both places, but I believe he may have signed the PPI box in error because typed on the agreement in the space at the top it says 'This account is to be set up without Account Cover'. Having checked the few statements we still have - he was paying PPI.

We haven't yet done a SAR to Debs/GE Money, but intend to do so when we have some spare cash.

This card was only in use for a while - just over 2 years - and has not been used since 2007. There probably aren't many charges as such but the PPI will probably add up to a bit and as it looks as though they added it despite the note on the application saying he didn't want it.........

I remember we had a few other things with GE companies in the past - at least one loan and one or two lots of car finance, but these were with GE Capital Bank/GE Woodchester - are they all one and the same? If so would it show up on a SAR to GE Money?

We probably had PPI on these also, but have not kept any paperwork as this would have been during the 90's.

Oh well, that's another can of worms I seem to have opened:eek:

Any help would be appreciated as always, thank you!

Regards,

Landy x

As ever SAR get the data and then claim you have the evidence already IMO This account is to be set up with no account cover.:eek:

Well someone at Debenhams (GE Account no doubt) got this one seriously wrong.:roll:

I should wait to see what they send compare the two documents and claim everything :D TWICE;)

No matter how far back you find agreements or evidence of PPI bang in a claim everytime.

Edited by alanalana
text added

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi aa:)

There to spur me on as always - thank you!

As you say this one should be pretty straight forward hopefully. As to what other little delights the SAR to GE Money will unearth:D Looking through the mountain of bank statements from LTSB we certainly paid a bob or two to GE in various guises over the years (although most quite a while ago). I bet there was more PPI added to these too!

Will have a search around for the correct address and get the SAR off soon.

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

I have five claims on the go for various folks. HSBC, Capital one, LTSB, Liverpool Victoria, Barclays and an upcoming Welcome Finance for a friend plus the possibility of a Debenhams GE card if I can find any information to refer to.

Busy ? Yes :eek:

I may also revisit the RBS claim for my own fight as I now understand the FOS may not have used the correct formula to assess the refunds so that is another area that may need to be sorted. Thankfully I still have all the 5 tons of paperwork:D

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Remember GE money were Fined £610,000 for bad selling practices of PPI on all there store cards.

Something to throw at them if they prove difficult;)

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Remember GE money were Fined £610,000 for bad selling practices of PPI on all there store cards.

Something to throw at them if they prove difficult;)

Regards

PF

Thanks PF - I'll bear that in mind;)

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Guys:)

Can anyone help me with the correct address to send a Subject Access Request to Debenhams (GE Money) please?

I have found two alternatives - the first, found here on CAG is from a 2006 thread of contact details -

Sarah Wainwright

Data Protection Administration

GE Money

PO Box 700

Leeds

LS99 2BD

I fear this one may be out of date:(

The other address (found on MSE) dates from 2008, so is possibly more likely to be correct -

Data Controller

GE Capital Bank Limited

6 Agar Street

London

WC2N 4HR

Anyone got any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Landy see this from the FSA register.

GE Money Bank

GE Capital Bank, Ge Money Bank, Ge Sovac EEA Authorised

GE Money Consumer Lending Limited HA1 1FB First National Consumer Finance Limited, Ge Money Consumer Lending LimitedFirst National, Ge Money, Ge Money, Ge Money Consumer Lending, Ge Money Home Lending Authorised

GE Money Direct Limited WV1 3JE Ge Money Direct Limited, Midland & General Direct LimitedFirst National, Ge Money, Ge Money Home Lending, Lgroup, Lgroup Loans, Lgroup Mortgages... Appointed Representative

GE Money Financial Services Limited WD18 8YF Ge Money Financial Services Limited, Ge Money Servicing Ltd, Igroup Financial Services LimitedFirst National, Ge Money Home Lending, Gem Mortgages Appointed Representative

GE Money Home Finance Ltd HA1 1FB First National Home Finance Limited, Ge Money Home Finance LtdFirst National, Ge Money, Ge Money Home Lending Appointed Representative

GE Money Home Lending Limited WD18 8YF Ge Money Home Lending LimitedFirst Nat Direct 2 U, First National, First National Direct 2 U, Ge Money, Ge Money Home Lending, Ge Money Lending Solutions... Authorised

GE Money Lending Solutions Limited WD18 8YF Ge Money Lending Solutions LimitedGe Consumer Finance Home Lending, Ge Money, Ge Money Home Lending, Ge Money Lending Solutions, Ge Money Solutions, Purple Loans ... Appointed Representative

GE Money Mortgages Limited WD18 8YF Ge Money Mortgages Limited, Igroup Mortgages LimitedFirst Nat Direct 2 U, First National Direct 2 U, Ge Money, Ge Money Home Lending, Ge Money Mortgages, Igroup... Appointed Representative

GE Money Purple Loans Ltd WV1 3JE

Ge Money Purple Loans Ltd, Midland & General Mortgages Limite
dGe Money, Ge Money Home Lending, Lgroup, Lgroup Mortgages, Midland & General Direct Limited, Purpleloans... Appointed Representative

GE Money Secured Loans Ltd WD18 8YF Ge Money Secured Loans LtdGe Money, Ge Money Home Lending, Ge Money Secured Loans, Igroup, Igroup Direct, Igroup Loans... Appointed Representative

I hope this helps out

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the info - gosh there's a lot of different depts!

As we have had various dealings with GE over the years (Debs card, GE Capital Woodchester, GE Capital Motor Factors - many of which I believe would have had PPI) I just wondered if this would all come under one SAR and if so which address would be best to use please?

Many thanks,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Thank you for the info - gosh there's a lot of different depts!

As we have had various dealings with GE over the years (Debs card, GE Capital Woodchester, GE Capital Motor Factors - many of which I believe would have had PPI) I just wondered if this would all come under one SAR and if so which address would be best to use please?

Many thanks,

Landy x

Bumping for further advice on which address to use please?

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Just a note, But ge money was the people behind my Asda card. It looks like they have now been taken over by Santander.

Address below

Santander Cards

PO Box 700

Leeds

LS99 2BD

Hope this helps

LDG

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

Just a note, But ge money was the people behind my Asda card. It looks like they have now been taken over by Santander.

Address below

Santander Cards

PO Box 700

Leeds

LS99 2BD

Hope this helps

LDG

Hi LDG:)

Thanks for that!

If that's the case I will probably need to do a separate SAR for the other GE Money borrowing we had in the past (loans etc). I thought it wouldn't be as simple as just sending one that would cover the lot:(

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Address below

Santander Cards

PO Box 700

Leeds

LS99 2BD

Hope this helps

LDG

and very sadly this is the case with financial institutions take overs, so the addresses change, so who do I now claim from ? the main problem is who is responsible and who will deal with your complaints. Answer PASS THE BUCK and let the customer try and sort it :eek::roll:

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 4 months later...

Well, this is a very long awaited update on this thread -

Today the Subject Access Request info has finally arrived from Santander - it was 40 days exactly, although the accompanying letter maintains they actually sent the info to us in October 2009 (this was never received) and that this latest correspondence is merely copies of the previous info sent. Although as I sent a chasing letter on 4th January, they've still taken rather a long time to respond.

Unfortunately they state that they only keep info going back six years, so the only documentation provided is for Mr Landy's old Debenhams card. There was no mention of info regarding our previous accounts such as a loan with GE Capital Woodchester or car finance with GE Motor Factors - these were all from at least 8-10 years ago, so I suppose I was being a bit too optimistic in hoping they had retained anything regarding these.

Anyway I've done a quick tot up of charges and PPI on the old Debs card (Mr L only had it for 2 years) and there is about £800 in PPI and £300 in charges including contractual plus 8%, so will have a go at trying to get this back - it's better than nothing!

The PPI in particular I am confident of some success with as this was the account which according to a note added by the sales person was to be set up without PPI - yet they went ahead and charged it anyway. We were so naive back then we never even noticed it on the statements -actually we probably didn't bother to read the statements:eek:

Will get letters off to Santander regarding these issues tomorrow and will report back with my progress as usual.

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Well, this is a very long awaited update on this thread -

Today the Subject Access Request info has finally arrived from Santander - it was 40 days exactly, although the accompanying letter maintains they actually sent the info to us in October 2009 (this was never received) and that this latest correspondence is merely copies of the previous info sent. Although as I sent a chasing letter on 4th January, they've still taken rather a long time to respond.

Unfortunately they state that they only keep info going back six years, so the only documentation provided is for Mr Landy's old Debenhams card. There was no mention of info regarding our previous accounts such as a loan with GE Capital Woodchester or car finance with GE Motor Factors - these were all from at least 8-10 years ago, so I suppose I was being a bit too optimistic in hoping they had retained anything regarding these.

Anyway I've done a quick tot up of charges and PPI on the old Debs card (Mr L only had it for 2 years) and there is about £800 in PPI and £300 in charges including contractual plus 8%, so will have a go at trying to get this back - it's better than nothing!

The PPI in particular I am confident of some success with as this was the account which according to a note added by the sales person was to be set up without PPI - yet they went ahead and charged it anyway. We were so naive back then we never even noticed it on the statements -actually we probably didn't bother to read the statements:eek:

Will get letters off to Santander regarding these issues tomorrow and will report back with my progress as usual.

Landy x

Good luck to you Landy and do not forget to mention the other previous issues with Debenhams, GE both counts (woodchester and car) this may just keep their attention focused on paying what they owe. Perhaps state you are still intent on pursuing these earlier claims. (Which of couse IMO you should) ;)

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Good luck to you Landy and do not forget to mention the other previous issues with Debenhams, GE both counts (woodchester and car) this may just keep their attention focused on paying what they owe. Perhaps state you are still intent on pursuing these earlier claims. (Which of couse IMO you should) ;)

aa

Hi Alan:)

That's a very good point about the other accounts - I actually have the letter ready to go, but will add something along the lines of what you have suggested before sending!

Many thanks as always,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi Alan:)

That's a very good point about the other accounts - I actually have the letter ready to go, but will add something along the lines of what you have suggested before sending!

Many thanks as always,

Landy x

You're more than welcome as always;)

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating this thread -

I sent off a mis-sold PPI letter to Santander on 29th January and last week received an offer for just over half the amount I requested. Their letter stated -

'........Having checked your account details, I can confirm Account Cover Insurance consisting of price, payment and purchase protection was added on ***** when we received your signed credit agreement and opened your account.

However, in the light of your comments I have arranged for a refund of all the premiums paid. I would also like to confirm we will be refunding the interest applied to the account where charged on these premiums and as a gesture of goodwill we will have also applied a 'loss of cash' compensation payment at the rate of 8% per annum.'

Their offer amounts to -

Premiums - approx £220

Interest - approx £150

Loss of cash payment - approx £50

Whilst I don't deny that the amount offered for the premiums is correct, the interest payments are way off the mark - especially as the contractual rate on the Debenhams card was 29.9%!

I have written back declining their offer and explaining once again that as the application form was quite clearly marked that the account was to be set up without account cover there should be every reason for them to fulfill my request as the FOS and FSA will be very interested to hear about this. I have given them a further 14 days to refund in full.

As yet no response has arrived from Santander. I will update once their reply has arrived.

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Blooming Santander:-x

In their last letter where they said they would refund approximately half of what I believe Mr L is entitled to, they also stated their intention to credit this amount to his account.

In my response (signed for by them on 25th Feb) I explained that this would be impossible because as far as we were aware the account was closed - in fact Mr L stopped using this card in April 2007 when we repaid the balance in full and has never received a replacement card since the last one ran out (having moved house in the interim).

Today, after a gap of nearly three years since his last statement was received, he gets a statement showing that his account has been credited by the amount they offered to refund:mad:

So now we have four hundred odd quid sitting in an account we cannot access:mad:

Has anyone any ideas on how I should respond please, having already informed them that Mr L was not accepting their offer and that all refunds should be in the form of a personal cheque?

Many thanks in advance,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Yesterday I had a chance to go through all Mr L's paperwork again in relation to his Deb's account and having had a more in depth perusal it appears that contractual interest was not applied to the PPI premiums:(

In the light of this Mr L telephoned the person at Santander dealing with his claim (I thought in this instance a telephone call would do the job just as well as a letter) and informed them that he was prepared to accept their original offer (which does actually include a higher amount of interest than a straight 8% on each premium), but that he cannot and is not prepared to have it in his Deb's account where they have currently credited it. The reason being he has no access to this account and has not used it since 2007 when he believed he had closed it, having repaid the balance in full. He requested they transfer the refund to his bank account but they said they could only issue a cheque. Once that is received and cleared that will be another 'WON' to chalk up. It's only small, but another victory, nonetheless!

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

The refund cheque from Santander has now cleared and been utilised for some much needed repairs to our house, so this thread is ready to be changed to a ***WON*** please!

Need to tackle them on the charges front next!

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

well done landy u are an example to us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u love ur successes and so does c a g

Thanks jdes:D

I just hope I get a big result soon so I can make a good donation to Cag for all the help I've received!

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Well done Landy - youve had more luck than Ive had with this bunch, I have been pursuing them for yonks and have been pushed from pillar to post. Now its with the FOS and they are taking it up with the insurance company that underwrote the policy as GE were not under there jurisdiction at the time I took the card out. If you have older issues with GE I would try to find out who underwrote your policies on the loans/cards and if all else fails with GE - approach the underwriters.

Tink

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

Well done Landy - youve had more luck than Ive had with this bunch, I have been pursuing them for yonks and have been pushed from pillar to post. Now its with the FOS and they are taking it up with the insurance company that underwrote the policy as GE were not under there jurisdiction at the time I took the card out. If you have older issues with GE I would try to find out who underwrote your policies on the loans/cards and if all else fails with GE - approach the underwriters.

Tink

Thanks Tink:D

Sorry to hear you're still having problems and hope you get a good result soon too.

Thanks for the advice re: the older issues - trouble is I don't have any of the paperwork for the previous loans with them. They didn't show up in the SAR 'cos they're from quite a while back - there was a loan (GE Capital Woodchester) which was settled in full in July 2003 and car finance through GE Capital Motor Factors which was settled in full in January 2002. As far as I can remember both had PPI.

I think I might just have to give up on these unfortunately.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded