My Daughter has 4 Accounts with Parent Company J D Williams charges reclaiming **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My Daughter had four accounts with GE Money, 1 - Top Shop, 1 - New Look, 1 - Burtons and 1 - Dorothy Perkins.

They have all been paid and closed for about 2-2.1/2 years can she still claim back charges and if so how do we go about it. She has account numbers for 3 of them but they wont provide her with the New Look Acount Number they say she has to write for that number (dont know why they would give her 3 over the phone, but declined to give her the 4th one.

Any pointers, directions, comments would be greatfully received from anyone.

Cheers

afw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

My Daughter had four accounts with GE Money, 1 - Top Shop, 1 - New Look, 1 - Burtons and 1 - Dorothy Perkins.

They have all been paid and closed for about 2-2.1/2 years can she still claim back charges and if so how do we go about it. She has account numbers for 3 of them but they wont provide her with the New Look Acount Number they say she has to write for that number (dont know why they would give her 3 over the phone, but declined to give her the 4th one.

Any pointers, directions, comments would be greatfully received from anyone.

Cheers

afw

Easy peasy ,Do a data access request for all the information/charges held on yourselves , cost £10 plus recorded delivery , see template letters on this site for full instructions .

• Haha 1

Hi noddyaccount

Many thanks for your reply you make it sound so easyyyyyyyyyyy.

You mention date acces request is this the same as subject access request and forgot to say we are in Scotland does it make any difference.

ANy idea how far you can go back my Daughter paid all these accounts off about 2.1/2 years ago so does she claim charges for 5-6 years from todays date or from when she closed accounts.

Also do we send 1 - £10 P.O. or a £10 PO for each account. any ideas ?

Meant to ask do you have a link to these letters and do I address it to Sarah Wainwright in Leeds LS99 the address in the forum sticky as this address was posted on the forum in 2006

Cheers

afw

Edited by 24233513afw

• 2 weeks later...

You are asking for the WHOLE of your banking history. Some of them are getting cute and saying they don't hold more than 6 years (look flying pigs). If they send more claim the lot.

Yes Sarah Wainwright is fine for sar, prelim and lba but you will need to use the registered office for the claim if necessary - courts don't allow PO addresses. Find this on their website.

I originally sent my SAR to Sarah Wainwright back in March of this year & am still waiting! Have had to involve ICO to get GE Money / Santander Cards Uk to even acknowledge the letter that was sent, at present they have been given 4 weeks to comply with my request. Don't know if others have had trouble with them but, i have found them to be less than helpful, but i am made of stern stuff & i will continue to the bitter end:D

Debt Free Since 1st September 2009:D

Target Savings For 2010 = £1000:)

Savings So Far = £700:lol:

If the deanline comes and goes you could always think about a non-compliance order which is found in the templates library. I have used this twice and found it worked a treat. Glad you decided enough was enough and took action.

Any problems just post here. GE Money can be a strange bunch but you will win in the end.

Hi everyone

Letters to GE Money for SAR sent last week, hopefully, we will get a reply.

Yes...sallysas enough was enough they have got of lightly for years robbing innocent people lets see if they like a taste of their own medicine....and boy do I hope it leaves a very nasty aftertaste when we are all finished with them....give them something to remember us with.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, hopefully weather will keep hot until at least monday.

Cheers

afw

• 4 weeks later...

My Daughter has 4 Accounts with Parent Company J D Williams comprising of:

Fashion World

Simply Be

Brilliant Gift Shop

Shoe Tailor

She sent J D Williams one £10 postal Order for SARs (for all 4 of them as we thought JD WIlliams was the parent company and one £10 would cover all 4)weeks ago to get staements for charges.

Yesterday she received a letter stating she has to send £10.00 for each account (not quite sure if this is correct) could somebody clarify this for us please.

They also sent a 5 page form for her to complete not quite sure what they want to know if she has contacted them through the internet for surely they should know this.(This was one of the questions)

I shall post letter and form for you to browse through any comments negative or positive graciously received.

Cheers

afw

Letter

Date request form Page 1

Data request form Page 2

Data request form Page 3

Data request form Page 4

Data request form page 5

Data request form Page 6

There is definately one parent company so only one fee.

It is a load of rubbish and they are obviously trying to put you off but I'll let the more expert caggers comment on the points.

Also search for J D Williams on here - someone has posted about something similar before and replies will be very relevant to you.

What I'd like to know is who sent you this - which department is it from? Because I think they're standard replies everyone is getting and am wondering if its coming from Legal team or another dept.

The letter and form came from someone called - Data Protection Officer in Manchester would you complete the form I think they are asking to many questions for my liking.

cheers

afw

Edited by 24233513afw

Thread by "He Who Dares Wins" is good - it has a template letter on that you could send. Sorry, not sure how to link you to it so either look up "He Who Dares Wins" threads or search JD Williams.

They sound terrible - lots of complaints on here.

You best delete that name before the site moderators ask you to. Sorry, I just meant the department! BUT it is interesting as I think that he is head of their legal team and a lawyer so knows better - it must be a deliberate ploy to put people off. That'll be because they know they're skating on thin ice with OFT and FSA.

Have a look at template letter, see if you want to send that and then if you aren't happy with reply don't hesitate to go to OFT. They wouldn't have head of legal dealing with these requests if they weren't scared.

J D Williams is a wholly owned subsidiary of N Brown Group Plc. The guy who has written to you is not only head of legal but also down as company secretary of N Brown Group. He is not just a Data Protection Officer.

This to me means they are running scared - they know they are in the wrong and are doing their best to make it as difficult as possible for people to reclaim. Therefore the more people go to OFT to complain about their delaying tactics the better, its all that will stop them from using them!

If P. F. Harland is the data protection officer then it will be in the public domain, and he will be listed as such.

He may have other titles as well but, personally, I see no problem with this person being so described.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi Jan4a

Have taking the name out before I read Rooster-UK post never mind we all know now who he/she is.

I have just popped over to He Who Dares Wins :-) thread and read with great interest, many thanks for the link found it eventually needed the wee bit at the end :-).

Will keep you all posted once I edit the template letter on his thread to explain that they will not be getting the form completed and not another penny from my Daughter, if they dont get their finger out the only thing they will be getting is a letter Before Action and reported to OFS

Many thanks once again

Cheers

afw

Hi folks

One more question befoer I send back my letter to JD Williams.... Hope someone can help.

I sent my Daughters request for Subject Access Request for her four accounts with a £10.00 postal order which I have now found out is quite suffice as J D Williams is the parent company of all 4 accounts.

In their letter posted above in post 1 they have also asked for a payment to cover the CCA's for these accounts am I correct in thinking this should be included with the SAR or is this a different issue and would we have to send 4 x £1.00 (one for each account) to JD WIlliams.

Any coments gratefully received.

Cheers

afw

Hi Jan4a

The banks only ask for £1.00 if you do a CCA request not if you do a SAR request personally I think JD Williams is hoping that it will put people off, well they are in for one big shock they have clawed far too many charges from my Daughter to let them away with it....ROBBING SODS.

Will let you know the outcome off the letter I am writting to them hoping to post tomorrow not quite sure about the postal strike..

Cheers

afw

A CCA is different from a SAR - they fall under different legislation, and each legislation carries it's own fees.

I'm afraid that they are entitled to ask for the £1 for the CCA (even though it costs them more to process the thing) as well as the money for the SAR.

You may (or may not) be interested to know that all N Brown companies (Jacamo, 40+ and all their other catalogue names) are in the same office. The same staff work on the different catalogues (with a couple of exceptions) - all of them in a big office in Victoria Station in Manchester (between the MEN Arena and Maccies).

The head office (where some people actually have a clue about what's what) is based on Lever St - right under Ticket Master's offices.

Seems that they like grouping the numpties together.

Hi Gyzmo

Many thanks for your knowledgable advice and information ..very much appreciated.

Have sent a letter to J D Williams stating they are not getting anymore money for Subject Access Requests as my Daughter has already sent them £10.00 p.o. and considering they are all owned by the same company that should be suffice. ALso she is not completing their GESTAPO styke form as they send her statements and letters each month so again this is suffice to prove identity.

Not to fussed about CCA as the charges should clear the balances..thats if they pay up.(Or should I say WHEN the pay up).

My Daughter is still paying these accounts but hopefully from not too long.

Will keep you all informed of the progress if and when we receive a reply..no doubt with another delaying tactic.

Cheers

afw

I'm in the same boat as you,I sent off a SAR to the N Brown Group & received a questionairre & a request for another £10 fee & 2X£1 for CCA requests (2 accounts).

I was composing my strongly worded letter this morning when postie pops up with a CCA response (I had posted seperate CCA requests at the same time as the SAR).So they will happily send me a "True Copy CCA" but NOT respond to a SAR!

I'm about to start my own thread on this & will post up their CCA response (for what it is:-x) & a draft of my letter to Mr Harland re the SAR.

Morph

Hi Morph

Hopefully if enough caggers get together and refuse to pay the extra monies this group are asking for and report them for trying to extortionate money from people who can already ill aford to pay their charges and fees.

I shall try and get my letter that I sent to Mr Harland for my Daughter yesterday posted on here and will keep you all posted on their response.

Oh!nearly forgot to say she did not complete the GESTAPO QUESTIONAIRE they sent. Could you let me have a link to your thread when you get time to start it up.

Cheers & Good Luck.

afw

Hi everyone,

Just a wee update to let you know J D Williams have sent everything that we requested in our Subject Access Request (diddn't take long after sending letter telling them they were getting no more monies)we paid only £10 and got all 4 accounts details.

Just sitting tallying up the charges, can anybody tell us can we use the bank charges letter for Catalogues or is there a different one as they call there charges adminstration charges not late, over the limit or default fees (remebering we are in scotland) any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

cheers

afw