Landlord's mortgage lenders have asked me for info about him

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My landlord regularly fails to pay his mortgage on time. The reminder letters arrive and I forward them on. I know that he has received letters I have forwarded on in the past and I don't have reason to believe he is in serious arrears.

I have now received a letter from the mortgage lenders addressed to 'The occupier' that says that their mail is being returned. They have now asked for a contact name, address and tel no where they can reach him. They have also requested my tenancy agreement. (For the record, he used a letting agency to find a tenant (me) but the agency don't manage the property)

I have no problem giving them his address and tel no, but requesting my tenancy agreement seems strange to me. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any advice on what I should do.

Guest Old_andrew2018

From a wholly personal perspective I would not furnish the mortgage lender with a copy of the tenancy agreement, neither would I pass on your landlords contact details to them.

Can I suggest you contact him to collect his post, it does appear that he is not receiving letters you have forwarded.

Andy

I tend to agree with old andrew about not telling them anything at this stage although you do not want to fall out with them just in case there is a problem in the future.

However, I do not agree about the LL not receiving his mail!! Contact your landlord - preferably to speak to - and say you are concerned to have been approached in this way by the morgage company since it indicates that either the mail you are forwarding is not reaching him, or he is returning it to sender himself!

If you have to write to LL, tell him that if they contact you again you will feel duty bound to have to give them the information they are requesting.

By the way, there could be various reasons for their request to see a copy of the agreement. If LL does not have permission from the lender to let the property you can probably be evicted quite rapidly if he fails to pay the mortgage, but if he did have permission and you have a proper AST it may mean you can stay at least until the end of the agreement term.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice