Council tax debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently on a repayment scheme for unpaid council tax from 2005/06 and 2006/07. I disputed the full amount as they wanted me to repay the full year of 2006/07 when I didn't live in the property for the full year. I agreed t pay £156 per month for 18 months, but now the amount i owe has been recalculated it's about £1000 less than the original amount.

Can I ask the council to recalculate the monthly amount I am to repay or am I stuck paying the £156 i originally agreed to?

Thanks,

Wildheart x

I am currently on a repayment scheme for unpaid council tax from 2005/06 and 2006/07. I disputed the full amount as they wanted me to repay the full year of 2006/07 when I didn't live in the property for the full year. I agreed t pay £156 per month for 18 months, but now the amount i owe has been recalculated it's about £1000 less than the original amount.

Can I ask the council to recalculate the monthly amount I am to repay or am I stuck paying the £156 i originally agreed to?

Thanks,

Wildheart x

The problem as I see it is that they can see you can afford the £156 and therefore even though you now owe less they would prefer to have the amount paid off quicker by keeping you at the current level than reduce it and still have you pay in 18 months.

The only people who can give you the answer are the council and I suspect you will need to show some reason why the payments should be reduced... i.e. something new causing extra hardship.

S.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that I can't afford to keep paying £156 per month. I only agreed to it because they had passed the account onto a sheriff officer and I knew that the amount they said I owed was too high.

You could ask for a reduction in payment, just tell them that your circumstances have changed & remind them that the debt is actually £1000 less than they originally claimed. I can't see there being a problem as it will still be payed within their original projected time-frame.

Thanks, do you know if there's a letter I could send them? I'm not trying to avoid paying them, it's just that I was promised benefits with my new job that have now not materialised so I'm about £400 a month short than what was originally expected. Should I send them my income / expenditure breakdown?

If you're paying the Council direct I'd just telephone and explain the position, if they require any documentation they'll tell you.

Good advice as always... revs/bens call centres are normally the good guys... its when it gets to recovery section and bailiffs things get nasty.

S.

The lady I spoke to last time was really helpful, but I can't find the phone number / name of the person I spoke to and wasn't at all critical or sceptical of the situation so I'll see if I can get through to the same department again. The next payment is due on the 28th so I'm hoping to get this cleared and the new payment amount agreed before then.

Thanks again

wildheart x