Transferring an 07777 number

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hope someone can help me out with this question! Given that I've come to the end of my contract, I called BT Mobile yesterday to get a PAC code. They dealt with my request quickly and efficiently, and gave me a PAC code right there and then over the phone! However they said that because my number starts 07777 I can only use it with themselves, Vodaphone or O2. Is that right :confused:? I thought that any mobile provider would accept any number from any other mobile operator... isn't that the whole idea of PACs?

Many Thanks!

Moshi

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi Moshi

Welcome to CAG, BT Mobiles response sounds suspect, however why not contact the provider who you intend to use at ask them the question.

Regards

Andy

Thanks for the suggestion... I gave both T-Mobile and Orange sales a call and both of them said that there was no reason they wouldn't be able to accept the number :-)

Weird! Thanks again!

Moshi

Guest Old_andrew2018

Just Idiots working for BT Mobile who don't their ar$€ from thier elbow

Edited by old_andrew2007

BT Mobile don't even have a NETOWRK They sold it off to create O2 then Telfonica bought it. They were left with nothing, and had to buy services in from their rival (Vodafone). No wonder they dont know whether they are coming or going! :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, I finally tried to use the PAC number: gave it Orange, and they say no problem should be all switched over in couple of days. Today I get a call from BT Mobile saying they're really sorry but because it's an 07777 number their system will only let them transfer it to O2 or Vodaphone! WTF! :-x:-x:-x

I've contacted Ofcom and they agree that BT Mobile are legally obliged to port the number, so hereby starts the fun! I've been given BT's Ofcom complaints number - been stuck in a queue thus far though. If I get no joy from them I have to write a formal letter of complaint to BT... and then if that doesn't work I can refer the case to the Ombudsman after 8 weeks!

I'm not letting BT get away with this. I'm not going through the pain and inconvenience of switch phone numbers just because they can't get their **** together!

Moshi

I have a sneaky feeling the reasons why they won't do it because they can't - I've heard they have a rather inferior 'back office' system and as an agency of Vodafone, this particular issue was not ironed out because it wasn;t expected when the IT system was originally developed.

It doesn't excuse it - but I#ve heard (unofficially) is to poer the number to Vodafone PAYG, and after the dust has settled, move it to where you want it to go. Can't vouch for it, as I've never had to try but it but it does sound a good way to get round the block of a direct transfer. Deal with the organ grinder and not the monkey!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll join you in any action to resolve this issue I have the same problem with BT and T-Mobile - seems that these two parties have so far failed to reach agreement to allow that they can transfer 07777 numbers between the two parties and that they think there is no reason that they should be taking action to do so. Both parties blame the other.

Oftel and the consumer guidance is quite clear - all UK mobile numbers should be transferable between all of the main players. Lets push it together unless of course you've found the solution that works.

No its not that. The number remains with the original supplier even when its ported and it requires that the suppliers make an agreement to allow for usage information which is related to any specific number is transferred from one user to another when numbers are ported.

BT Mobile in particular has failed to make such agreements with other suppliers except for Vodaphone and O2 and as a result these 07777 numbers can only be used with these 3 suppliers.

OFTEL will not force the issue with them unless and until enough of us register a complaint with them.

If want to port an 07777 you can ONLY transfer to Vodaphone or O2. Complain to OFtel 'till BT get their skates on!