Computer anorak here.... lol

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning folks... :)

I've recently ordered a compatible wireless router for my daughter's laptop (Wndows Vista/AOL broadband)... but am sitting here putting off the insallation in case I stuff it up and she moans for the rest of the week-end :-|.

She has a built in wireless facility, so what I need to know is:

1) Is it as straightforward as it says on the box... i.e....put disc in and follow promps?

2) Will I need to search the laptop to find out how to turn the wireless facility on after I've done it?

I've heard that AOL is a pain in the ass when it comes to this kind of thing, so just need some reassurance.... Probably won't do it today anyway.... she's due home soon and I want a nice day... :-| Looks like I'm slowly talking my way out of this, doesn't it ? :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not with AOL so can't comment there but when I set up my wireless network it was easy.

Follow the instructions to the letter and you shouldn't go wrong.

Make sure you give your wireless network a network name and give it a password.

When your daughter tries to connect she will be given the names of all wireless networks in the vicinity. All she needs to do is click on your network and use the password you will give her.

The fun bit is when she pi$$es you off, you can change the password :D

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Well you make it sound so simple.... I might give it a go today :-|..... do you know if I need to turn the wireless on first... or just shove the disc in and turn the wireless on after though ?

Edited by PriorityOne
typo..

Depending on your laptop, if the wireless capability is not turned on, the software will recognise this and offer to turn it on for you during setup. For the slightly older laptops, there will be either a switch on the front, back or sides (sounds like a haircut:p), or there will be a button around the keyboard somewhere which will have a picture of an areal or squiggly lines to simulate radio waves.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Depending on your laptop' date=' if the wireless capability is not turned on, the software will recognise this and offer to turn it on for you during setup. For the slightly older laptops, there will be either a switch on the front, back or sides (sounds like a haircut:p), or there will be a button around the keyboard somewhere which will have a picture of an areal or squiggly lines to simulate radio waves.[/quote']

Fingers crossed then... I'll let you all know later on.... assuming I can get up the courage and also....get back online afterwards! :eek:

Just note Priority, that when it says in the instructions, wait a few seconds/ minutes to connect, it can mean many seconds/minutes depending on your computer & your broadband & wireless connection. When I did my first one, I got so fed up with it I walked out, only to find when I returned some hours later it was all up & running as if by magic! Of course it wasn't, it was just giving it time to think, so be patient...

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

**ANOTHER UPDATE**

Have managed to get the wireless working and am connected!!:).... BUT.... it says "unsecured network" on there:cool:, which looks a bit worrying.

Anyone know what this means and what I should do about it, if anything?

:confused:

Good job!

Now, what's the make of your router Priority?

'Unsecured' doesn't mean that you are vulnerable to internet plagues, it just means that anyone in the vicinity of your home can pick up your network & use it for free. If you are way out in the country this prob. wouldn't matter much but if you have neighbours, it will as they could hog your network. Additionally if you allow file sharing between others on your network (eg OH, daughter etc) it means that your neighbour could also access those common files. So it's a good idea to secure it.

To 'secure the network' you usually have to find the settings page for your router. You will prob. have an option of security - WPA, WEP etc. Select the one you want & is suitable for your devices (WPA is more modern, supposedly more secure but I'm still on WEP with no probs), then follow the prompts to 'name your network' eg Priority; then use a password to generate a key eg. consumerforum which will then be interpreted into hexadecimal numbers/letter format automatically but note the hexadecimal config as you may need it for other devices. All devices (like your computer, PDA's etc) that you want to use wirelessly then have to be set with the same key. On a computer it should ask you for it automatically when you try to latch into the wireless network.

Shout if you need any more info...

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Good job!

Now, what's the make of your router Priority? Thanks FG... :).... it's a Netgear DG834G Wireless-G Modem Router....

'Unsecured' doesn't mean that you are vulnerable to internet plagues,phew!!.... that's a relief!! :D it just means that anyone in the vicinity of your home can pick up your network & use it for free. If you are way out in the country this prob. wouldn't matter much but if you have neighbours, it will as they could hog your network. Additionally if you allow file sharing between others on your network (eg OH, daughter etc) it means that your neighbour could also access those common files. So it's a good idea to secure it.OMG!:shock:... can't have any of that... lol

To 'secure the network' you usually have to find the settings page for your router. You will prob. have an option of security - WPA, WEP etc. Select the one you want & is suitable for your devices (WPA is more modern, supposedly more secure but I'm still on WEP with no probs), I did come across this page, but didn't understand what I was doing.... it gives all kinds of options incl. WEP and WPA, but because of the code input malarky...I logged out instead.... then follow the prompts to 'name your network' eg Priority; then use a password to generate a key eg. consumerforum which will then be interpreted into hexadecimal numbers/letter format automatically but note the hexadecimal config as you may need it for other devices. All devices (like your computer, PDA's etc) that you want to use wirelessly then have to be set with the same key. That's useful.... 'coz I've just bought a wireless printer as well, which is currently still in the box! On a computer it should ask you for it automatically when you try to latch into the wireless network.

Shout if you need any more info...

Thank you so much.... I'll have another look into this once my daughter's stopped hogging it...

:)

Oh, that's handy - same make, almost the same model as mine so I guess the config will be similar:

Go to login page: wireless settings (LH side):

Wireless network:

Have you named your network? if not, choose something

Region - Europe

Channel & mode should be set automatically

Wireless Access Point:

Tick enable w. access point

Tick broadcast SSID (that's your network ID & enables you to connect in other devices)

Security Options:

You can tick either WEP or WPA.

I currently have WEP:

If WEP ticked, Authentication - Auto, Encryption - 128 bit (most secure)

Put in a password & press 'generate'. You will then get a hexadecimal code in the box underneath. Write it down - you will need it when you connect in your other devices. Tick Apply. Done!!

Now when you connect in your wireless printer, your above named network should show up as an available network in the list on the printer. When it says 'connect', press yes. It will then ask you for the access key - this is the hexadecimal no. you wrote down from above. Follow the rest of the prompts if any. Done!!

Shout if you get stuck...

BTW, I have found my Netgear very reliable; had 2 x Belkins before & given up with them (or maybe that should read they gave up on me!). Occasionally the netgear throws a fit but unplugging the power supply for approx. 30 secs & plugging it back in seems to fix it.

Oh dear.... not sure what happened, but it didn't like the WEP and cut me off.:confused: Couldn't connect wirelessly after that, so I had to reverse it back to "disabled"... will have a re-think tomorrow. I'm scared to touch it for now.... lol :confused::D

Thank you for all your help so far... :)

Oh shucks - and there you were, doing so well to impress your daughter.

It's odd though, you should be able to connect with either WEP or WPAS. Try WPA - it's stronger security but not all computers can use it which is why I said use WEP first.

If that fails, suggest you try contacting Netgear (not easy I know) or ukaviator or buzby - I think they're both techie

Oh dear.... not sure what happened, but it didn't like the WEP and cut me off.:confused:

There are three major setting sin that particular router type, WEP and two WAP alternatives. Head back into the router, Wireless Settings, and ensure you select WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key).

Make sure you fill out a strong passwod key in the box below, then hit Apply. Your wireless should now return to life and be secured.

Incidentally, good choice of router. Netgear are easily the best router manufacturers in this field, with not only some of the easiest to configure, but most reliable hardware on the market. I run twin Netgears on my WAN gateway, and they've both performed - and lasted - brilliantly.

Thank you people... :).... really appreciate the help. I'll need to find and rep. you on other threads later on 'coz you can't rep. in the Bear Garden...

I'll give the WPA-PSK setting a try later on today if I get the chance.... can remember seeing it as an option on there... I went for Netgear 'coz I heard AOL are a b*gger to convert to wireless for some reason and having tried it yesterday, I can see why.... it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it should have been.

AOL also offered the router for FREE, (not sure it would have been this one though) but wanted me to sign an 18 month contract to get it.... which would have increased my DD by around £10 a month... so it wasn't really FREE after all.

I bought it from Amazon for £45 all in.... ;)

You made the right decision. The 'free' routers are usually pretty basic.

Good luck with the next frustration..

Once you add the protection, you're laptop will not be able to connect using the settings it already had. It may be an idea to change the SSID when you change the security so that your laptop will find it as a brand new connection, ask you for the security password that you just set up on the router and connect you. As Aleksandra the meercat would say "Simples"

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Once you add the protection, you're laptop will not be able to connect using the settings it already had. It may be an idea to change the SSID when you change the security so that your laptop will find it as a brand new connection, ask you for the security password that you just set up on the router and connect you. As Aleksandra the meercat would say "Simples"

Aaargh!!:( ... that's what happened yesterday and I haven't tried anything else yet. How about I just leave the blasted thing alone.... lol... seeing as I don't plan on sharing any file anyway? :D.... or is this really, really not a good idea? :confused:

Aaargh!!:( ... that's what happened yesterday and I haven't tried anything else yet. How about I just leave the blasted thing alone.... lol... seeing as I don't plan on sharing any file anyway? :D.... or is this really, really not a good idea? :confused:

Really not a good idea. Securing your wireless network is right up there with running a firewall and anti-virus software in terms of importance.

It's a straightforward process; just make sure you set your router to WPA-PSK, ensure you have a password entered in the box below (a strong password is always preferable), then try to connect from your laptop. It will popup requesting the password. Just punch it in and away you go.

You may need to re-search for available wireless networks, which you can do by right-clicking the wireless icon on the taskbar and selecting the appropriate option. Your newly named network should then appear as available with the option to connect.

If running a wifi printer and have no security, people could access your printer and set it off, also people could illegally download files from your network and you may get into trouble with it.

Take the time to get the security right... you'll feel happier about it once you do.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Good luck. I'll not be far away and I'm subb'd to this thread, and there are many other knowledgable peoples about :) Shout if you need anything

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Over 2 hours and no p1... hope all is going well!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar