Flying to Ireland - tips welcome

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm flying to Ireland on Thursday, sadly through Ryanair cos it cost £20 for the return trip (going into Dublin from Gatwick south terminal).

Does anyone have any tips and advice as I haven't flown for ages... I've got a 16 inch trolley case I am using as cabin luggage only - didn't want to chance having to pay another £30 odd with an 18 inch as I've heard some of those can be 'oversize'.

I'm going for four nights so only taking change of tops and a skirt - what do I do about washing stuff, do I need to carry it in a plastic bag and then put it in the luggage when I board?

I'm going on a crochet weekend course so will have the course details and my hooks and stuff packed in a special storage box, and carry the course details with me incase I get searched. I'll have my small netbook with me in the case and will just have the one bag.

Tips welcome for an inexperienced flyer - last time I flew was to Italy on a rugby trip about five years ago and that was in a group. Going solo this time.

All I can tell you SG is that all liquids must be in a see through bag (perfumes, aerosols etc). Have this bag separate when your case goes through x-ray. That way, they won't be intrusive by rummaging through your case.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Hiya SG

Yep as SOD'EM says you need to put all your bibs and bops in plastic bag, they sell these just outside they charge you £1.00 :mad:before you go through i would grab one

because even though you may have them in a placcy bag on past experiance well me mate anyway she always gets clobberd :D had to go back out and get one.

I've already got one of those plastic bags, in fact got them in loads of sizes... I got mine from a colleague who recently came back from New York, they gave me the one BA used so that should be okay. I've got mini sizes of shampoo, deodorant (taking a small roll on rather than aerosol) and toothpaste in clear containers.

I've been told that some 18 inch cases have been deemed too big so thats why I got a 16 inch one, got three teeshirts, one skirt, undies and my needlework stuff. Should be okay...

With ryanair, when they say 1 piece of carry on luggage, they mean 1 PIECE. Your handbag will be counted as that 1 Piece - so pack your handbag inside your carry-on. Also, if you buy anything in duty free and have that in a separate carrier bag, they will count that as I PIECE. For every piece of carry on above the 1 you're allowed they will charge you £30. Please be warned. I have been stung so many times with this so called cheap airline that I wouldn't fly with them if they paid ME.:mad: Good Luck:)

Cassie

Thanks Cassie, I am not intending to get anything duty free at the airport - and I will have everything in the one case. I have a small handbag I can pack which takes everything and will be wearing a jacket with roomy pockets.

I'm checking with the lady who runs the course if anyone has had trouble bringing crochet hooks on the trip - but they aren't prohibited and are all packed in a sturdy box. She has had people come from America and England with stuff in their hand luggage.

Top tips for safe flying

1. Sit at the back of the plane (you never hear of them reversing into a mountain)

2. Find out under which seat the black box flight recorder is and strap yourself to it (They always find that bugger)

I do not think they will let you take your crochet needles on in hand luggage. I had a small metal nail file at the bottom of my handbag that I hadn't noticed was there and Ryanair confiscated it.