my fathers awful treatment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My father died last year which his family believe is because of a lack of duty of care and just plain neglect.

He had underlying health problems, diabetes, CABG following a heart attack in 1990, and left ventricle dysfunction, which was moderate at the beginning of last year when he had his stents checked and had a mild heart attack. His cardiologist said he didnt need to see him for another six months. My father knew he wouldnt live for another 10 years, but we and he had been told another five would be more estimable.

In july 2008 he went to his diabetic foot nurse and she found a small mark on one of his toes, eventually it lead to him having two toes amputated, (thats another issue because it caused osteomyelitis which spread badly) because he was off his feet he began to swell up and had symptoms of heart failure, became disorentated and short of breath. Because no one bothers to check patients over the weekend (and i have the notes and every weekend my father was only checked by the ward nurse - bp checks only) he got so bad he had to have a blood transfusion x2 the next week.

He was transferred to the cardiac centre and we were pleased that he was finally going to get the care he deserved, he died in the early hours of November 20th 2008 aged 69 years, his CABG was totally blocked (even tho he had had a angiogram and echocardiagam done within the last two days which picked up nothing - but i personally dont think the doctor looked at them) The ward sister was in shock she couldnt believe he had died, we saw a registrar after his death who said after looking at the test results that my fatehrs heart was in very bad shape and he was dying, why werent we told this a few days earlier?? Why couldnt we prepare ourselves? To say goodbye to a really amazing father, husband, grandfather? Why wasnt he in the intensive care on a life support machine? He was in a side room on 'infrequent obs' he hadnt had an ECG done in 12 days before his death where as before he had them everyday.

Also the most hurtful thing, they told us he died in his sleep, they went in and found him dead. AFter christmas I requested the notes to start the complaints procedure and found that he wasnt dead when they found him, they had the whole team in working on him for 20 minutes, can you imagine how we feel? To know that my father didnt have the peaceful end that we thought, they lied to us - I always told them 'just give it to us straight, no namby pamby stuff' and they lied through and through. We are all still devastated and in such grief at how he died.

Also i meant to say the Cardiologist saw him as an outpatient two months and 5 days before he died and said to him (i have the letter) 'youre doing very well, i dont need to see you for another year' !!!

Hi Kathryn

so sorry to hear about your dad,That was awful,I dont think a lot of doctors are all that good now and it is shocking what happened to him but i can quite believe it as my OH has a heart problem and though he had an angioplasty they kept saying his problem was sorted and he should be abe to go back tp work but my OH still felt very poorly .But the arrogant cardiologist refused to believe him and kep telling him it was all in the mind:mad:and just to go away and exercise that he did not need any treatment ,However after about a year of all this my OH insisted they give him an exercise stress test and after that they changed their tune and said that he needed a bypass yes he still not in a very good way.The sad thing is that now my OH has lost all faith in doctors and want let them near him to do any procedures as he lost all his trust and respect for them and just controls condition with tablets but has a lot of angina ,The cardillogist did not even have the grace to aplogise to him.If he had taken their advice and carried on execising he would have probably given himself another heart attack the state of his heart ateries,So i can quite believe it.

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Guest Old_andrew2018

You have been through quite a difficult time, the question you pose about why was he not ventilation, IMHO this would not have prevented his heart failure.

Having been through a similar thing with my own father nearly twenty years ago, can I advise that you get the information, and plan what questions you need to ask.

Andy