• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

IFTL and account B - help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OH has now had a 2nd claim form for 2nd Account (we'll call B) and is the dispute that kicked it all off in the first place. The amount on this balance is well over £5000.

POC

'The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract dated on or about xxxxx in the sum of £........inclusive of interest to the date of this summons at 8% per annum from xxxx to xxxxx

PARTICULARS a/c no:- (quoted correct)

DATE ITEM VALUE

xxxxx Default Balance £.........

Post Refrl Cr NIL

xxxxxx Interest ......

TOTAL:- ..............

Together with:-

Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 19

at the rate of xxx pence per day

to the date of Judgement or sooner payment.

BACKGROUND

CCA'd MBNA under Section 78 request for a copy of the agreement in Dec 2008 to resolve a query about a charge MBNA would not refund which OH felt charged by stealth.

They have stated it's the clearest copy they have and is legible and valid agreement. OH disagreed and pointed out illegible in parts and would not pay until charge refunded and a better copy of original received. But MBNA would not recognise a dispute existed.

In between stalemate, received lots of MBNA standard letters, telephone calls, statements which continued charging interest so nothing put on hold while they investigated complaint, default sums notices etc then finally the actual Default Notice.

Have filed the acknowledgement of service online but could do with some help as OH wants to defend and strongly believes some cut and paste has taken place on the copy both front and rear. (Wants to be careful about outright accusations though.)

1. The claim doesn't make reference to any specific credit card agreement - just says 'contract dated on or about'. Can they be this vague?

2. Are they incorrect to be claiming interest under s69?

3. Just reading around the site and found reference to form N268 Notice to Prove documents at trial. What is this used for - is it new and would this be a correct way to request a copy of the actual original at trial to prove authenticity and therefore throw the microfiche copy argument out of the window? MBNA solicitors have sent another copy of the same agreement stating it's legible. It's not without glasses or computer enlarging/enhancement.

4. OH wants to mention about the condition 11 being different on front and rear so probably not part of the same document. Same goes for paragraph 8 on Default Notice which no-one seems to be able to find on here!

Any thoughts to make a start anyone please? I'm most grateful again for all the help given on this forum. Sorry if I'm rambling, it's been a long day and I wanted to get the POC on here asap.

IFTL x

Edited by ifoughtthelaw

Help!

I'm doing so much reading that I'm getting confused. Need some opinions if poss that OH is going the right way. OH has a copy of the alleged agreement - twice from MBNA and once from solicitors - (not from a CPR request or part 18 - nothing requested yet). Does he need to do a CPR 14 request if copy already sent? Also POC refers to 'contract dated on or about' which could mean anything? Would a Part 18 request be better in this case?

Edited by ifoughtthelaw

• 2 weeks later...

hi IFTL,

have a read of BRW posts:

315 here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/199523-restons-mbna-issued-court-6.html#post2394247

and 26 here regarding inspection:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/212616-amex-have-issued-claim.html#post2392048

it may help and clarify a little.

try and draft a defence (there are umpteen to copy from) and u will find others will comment.

IGNM has a defence and skeleton if required posts 6 & 14 respectively here (forget the underlining its just for some amendments):

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/191754-arrow-global-ignm-1st.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi r&b and thanks for your post - been working on a defence and found lots of helpful info on those threads. OH has decided he is going to submit an embarrassed defence tomorrow as due in latest on Monday and he's still not happy with the info MBNA have so far provided.

He got a letter from the solicitors in response to a CPR18 request basically questioning his reasons for asking for the info, pretending they didn't know what it was for and he had not explained it etc etc...so playing silly s*ds. They then finished by asking for confirmation that he will pay their photocopying charges for statements etc. They enclosed a 'reconstructed' copy of the default notice. (So no copy of the original held then.) Is a reconstruction document acceptable in a court?

So question time again (sorry)...if anyone knows the answers please - are they obliged to give the info requested in a CPR18 request; should the answers be taken as their legal reply and does a Defendant have to pay the cost of their photocopying?

Why are the credit card companies so reluctant to give copies of statements right from the beginning as surely their 'sophisticated systems' should be able to retrieve them. How do you link or prove the application/agreement to the starting point of the account otherwise. What is it they are trying to hide?

Grateful for any comments!

IFTL x

• 3 months later...

Well my complements of the season and wishing you all a Merry Christmas.

Restons have decided to resurrect it (after months of doing nothing) just before Christmas! Submitted our AQ and now just got a copy of their application for summary judgement with a hearing date in Jan.

I'm preparing a witness statement ready to forward to them and the Court for early Jan, can anybody just give an idea as to what needs to be included, I've drafted a list of the facts as they've happened but do I work this into the holding defence or keep it separate? What else do you include for a witness statement in a summary judgement?

Ta all

x

Edited by ifoughtthelaw

• 4 weeks later...

We **Won** the Summary Judgment but case far from over.

Not won easily and cannot post too many details yet as need to claim the costs and tie up some (serious) loose ends. Bankerrhymeswith was RIGHT about their slithering tricks.

Can anyone help?

How do we go about claiming our costs after the hearing, as Judge was willing to award our costs but it got overlooked at the end as distracted.

Have confirmation from the court that the application for summary judgment is dismissed but nothing else.

What happens now?

Thanks x

• 2 months later...

Hello All, an update and some more advice needed please if anyone can help.

At the summary judgment hearing, the claimant tried dirty tricks outside the court and presented a witness statement unseen beforehand. My OH would not accept this but the barrister went in anyway and presented it in court where it was accepted by the judge. OH protested it was not served properly and he was not given a copy. It got heated and he ended up annoying the judge who gave him a long lecture!

This was their intention to simply fluster a LIP who does not know the procedures well enough. However, the judge eventually agreed condition 11 was not the same on the front and back of the document and it was an irregularity. Judge agreed with OH that Data protection had not been signed and copy of the recent terms and conditions were meaningless. So she just about allowed the summary judgment in OH favour. It is worth noting though that a lot of the defence had not really been read through by the judge who viewed it right from the start as 'well you've had the money.'

When the judgment came through there was no mention of costs :confused: although the judge had agreed OH could have them, (then got distracted and went on to something else.) OH queried this and the court said to write in which we did and then we got a letter back saying no costs as it should have been dealt with at the time and the judge had concluded matters. So once again the Claimant was laughing in our face and got off the costs as OH didn't know the procedures well enough and had a judge who was clearly in their favour from the start.:-(

OH just had a Directions and allocation hearing and guess what? Outside the court for the SECOND TIME, OH was presented with another piece of paper showing an undated COPY of terms and conditions (from supposedly the time the account was opened that WOULD have been given at the time) UNSEEN until then.

Same procedure, in they go and it gets shown to the judge (no copy to OH) - judge says I don't know how to introduce this now, OH says I'm not accepting as never seen it before and not been served on me and also isn't this a directions and allocation hearing and not the trial? Judge says well you've had the money (again) OH says Wilson, and it's not about that (claimant had varied the account in an underhanded way) - judge says 'the trouble is you are not a solicitor Mr.....'

Judge then says well the claimant can amend his claim, and by the way (to the claimant) that means you can apply for another summary judgment. :confused::confused: HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS BE CORRECT? OH should then amend his defence (does that mean he can't now counterclaim if he chooses to?) and must give his reasons as to why he has a defence with condition 11. HOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE ISSUES? Is he now restricted to only what the judge is directing? This seems to be letting the claimant off the hook and allowing them to do whatever they like whilst OH is not being allowed to defend his case:x:x

Please anyone, what do we do next when we receive their amended POC? Does it all just start again? Should we be looking at getting legal representation when the courts are CLEARLY against LIP's and give so much leeway to the legally represented party who know the score?

Thanks and have a good Easter all

Still awaiting amended poc by Roystons. Anyone had any experience of them amending a claim?

If a claim is amended, will they have to attach all documents this time as it will not be coming though Northampton bulk centre?

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update:

Claimants did attach paperwork on amended claim and OH submitted an amended defence. Had a claims management hearing and both parties are directed to exchange witness statements by next week.

Do all the exhibits referred to OH the witness statement have to be copied again and attached to witness statement. copy to court and claimant etc? They were submitted and attached to the witness statmement for the Summary Judgement. How does it work for the main trial?

The facts have not changed and there are a couple of alterations at the end taking into account recent facts. What is the correct procedure here?

Thanks for any help please!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction - should I attach copies of exhibits in mentioned in further witness statement for the main trial if the witness statement is the same (except for updated events at the end) as it was at the summary judgement? All copies were attached then, do I need to do it all again?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Am feeling a little lonely on this thread!!!

Witness statements now exchanged. Any advice please on

1) Filing a pre-trial checklist - does the court send this or do you get the form yourself and submit. Also - does the other side get copy?

2) How do you ask for the claimant's witness to attend court in person?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

x

Hi IFTL

I am not really up to speed on these things but you can obtain a pretrial checklist here;

Her Majesty's Courts Service -Forms and Guidance.

I think this needs to be sent to the court only, I cant really advise any further I am afraid.

Good luck.

B

I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it left.