You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• This is the first time that I have ever come across any courier company involved in something like this so it's a complete unknown. If you are properly prepared with independent assessments as to what has happened then there is no reason why you should lose and you should approach this problem with confidence. Keep us updated. I can well imagine that DPD hasn't taken any of this thing seriously but once they receive a properly drafted and evidenced counterclaim, they will then take time over it and they will then understand that their position is very poor and they may well approach you to settle the matter rather than go to hearing and lose. You may already have told us, but did you properly declare the value of this consignment and also did you opt to take out their insurance cover?
    • I shall take your advice and sit tight with all of my evidence.  Thank you for your help and I will keep you updated. Have you heard of them ever following this through to court? 
    • Thanks for getting back to me. We are based in East Sussex. I don't know if they are engage with their tenants I am getting details from all the tenants
    • Thank you. There are two possible routes here. You could sue DPD – and then they would probably defend and they would also counterclaim for the unpaid delivery fee. Alternatively, they could go ahead and sue you and then you could counterclaim for the expenses of the damaged items. It would be better if they would sue you and the reason for that is that you would be the defendant and therefore if there was a hearing, it will be held at your local court which would save you a lot of inconvenience. If you sue them, then they become the defendant and if there was a hearing then it would be heard at their local court which means that you would have to travel and plan the logistics of this. Normally speaking you can counterclaim without paying a fee but where the value of a counterclaim is substantially greater than the value of the substantive claim, when you might have to pay a fee. If you with the claimant then you will certainly have to pay the fee anyway. So I suggest that your best interests are served by preparing to be sued and then if that happens then to defend and counterclaim. We will help you. If eventually they don't follow through with their threat, then you will have to sue them. Whichever is the case, you will need to be well prepared and that really means that you need to seek independent assessments and evaluations of the damage which has been caused and the value of putting it right. These independent assessments may cost you money – but eventually if you win then you will get this back. So for the moment, start gathering your evidence. Make sure that you are fully prepared with your independently verified documentation and then hope that they will follow through with their threat and sue you.
    • thanks for the response   The items arrived totally damaged and our customer sent them back and we had to re make all of the items again. This cost was just over £7000. Yes we are on a creidt type account, I asked for the compensation on the problem delivery and they decided to lie and cheat and then close the complaint. we did take photos and so did my customer, DPD said they could not use them as it didnt show enough detail. this again is untrue.    The invoice we are with holding is £530  We had to remake all of the work as mentioned above.    I hope this helps a little more  
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 10 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
drifter104

A defense against clamping?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3962 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Before reading any further please let me make it clear I'm not suggesting this action should be taken. I'm posting it as an open discussion.

Having reading the clamping guide sticky I had a thought.

1) Clamping is based on The common law principle that clamping uses is a medieval remedy for trespass called damage distress feasant.

2) Trespass is part of the legal system of torts. Under tort, damages are sought to restore a party to original position as best they can before commission of the tort

3) It has been established that clamping a car is in itself an act of trespass on that car.

4) Clamping companies and employees need to be SIA registered

If all of this is correct would the following be legal?

A car is clamped legally on private land, there is nothing wrong with the clamping of the car. There are signs etc...

Owner of the car then places and extra chain around the clamp, they then pay the clamping to release the clamp but also require the same amount in return to release the chain.

After all Under tort, damages are sought to restore a party to original position as best they can before commission of the tort. The owner of the car was x pounds better off before the clamp was placed on the car.

The chain can not be cut as it would then be criminal damage. The person placing the chain does not need to be SIA registered as they are not a clamping company.

Is there merit in my madness?

I think anyone who clamps, either as an individual or a company needs an SIA licence. However, I don't know if anyone has considered that if it is your own vehicle then of course you can do anything you want to it. After all, it's quite common for people to clamp a wheel of their own caraven or boat trailer to stop some tealeaf nicking off with it and that clamping is perfectly legit.

Interesting thinking. But

1.) It would be easier to just cut their clamp off.

2.) In areas where they threaten towing, they'd just take you car and not entertain paying you anything when it's impounded.

Interesting thinking. But

1.) It would be easier to just cut their clamp off.

2.) In areas where they threaten towing, they'd just take you car and not entertain paying you anything when it's impounded.

1) I'm sure it could be chained in such a way that would not be possible, and I don't imagine clamps are cheap. Also that wouldn't mean you weren't entitled to damages, as the act of trespass has already been commited.

2) They can not do that, they legally have to remove the clamp once you have told them you will pay. Arthur v Anker (according to the sticky)

Drifter, you've got a devious mind! :lol:

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Yes I know :)

I thought about it after reading another article on the vine case. At the bottom they raised a question about what would happen if you place a notice on the car before leaving it parked stating that clamping the car would be considered an act of trespass and damages would be sought.

2) They can not do that, they legally have to remove the clamp once you have told them you will pay. Arthur v Anker (according to the sticky)

But you're not telling them you will pay. You'll telling them you'll pay if they pay you first. So they'll just tow the car.

According to Arthur v Anker once you have agreed to pay they have to remove the clamp. Unless I'm reading too much into the wording in the sticky. Plus you simply attach the chain round the back of the clamp, allowing them to undo it, but not remove it. A chain around the chain on the clamp attached to the back of the wheel should do it.

Also my 2nd point is still valid, as the act of trespass has still been commited. You would be able to seek damages through the courts, all you would have to do is show the act of trespass happened, and that because of the trespass you were x pounds worse off. A couple of photos and their own receipt would do that.

In theory!

Practically, they'd have none of it, tow your car and you'd never get your money back whatever argument you had for court.

What about feeding your chain through something else as well as their clamp and your car - say a lamppost - let them try and tow then :D

What about feeding your chain through something else as well as their clamp and your car - say a lamppost - let them try and tow then :D

nice idea, cant remove you car without cutting chain or lock = criminal damage.

haha I love this, and probally try one day if I get clamped. there clamp your car, you place a chain in a way that allows them to un-secure they claimp but not remove it, you place that chain with a nearby item (pole or something) or if there is nothing, then get a freind or relative to bring there car and chain it to that aswell, so there can tow both. Pay them the fine what ever it is, and then when there un-secure the clamp and ask you to remove the chain, request the same amount back or more, if there dont agree tell them to bugger off and there wont get the clamp back untill its paid. if there dont pay, you got a clamp !!!

the type of clamp they use, eg chains, cost around 50-60 quid

Guest lipupfatty

they will remove the clamp once you have paid

We carry the perfect answer to these clamps around with us. It goes through clamps like a knife through better, apparently:rolleyes:

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Before reading any further please let me make it clear I'm not suggesting this action should be taken. I'm posting it as an open discussion.

1) Clamping is based on The common law principle that clamping uses is a medieval remedy for trespass called damage distress feasant.

2) Trespass is part of the legal system of torts. Under tort, damages are sought to restore a party to original position as best they can before commission of the tort

3) It has been established that clamping a car is in itself an act of trespass on that car.

''' Hi Mate,

This is some advice for you and for the other readers.

From my personal experience...

I was clamped in London approx 2 weeks ago, the clamper demanded £300 plus.

What i did when he went away.

Got a hammer and broke off the clamp , snapped it off and took the clamp with me to teach them a lesson that not to mess.

No i keep a cordless grinder, if needed by me or any of my freinds they can call me i will come and grind the clamp off.

Advice: do not negotiate with the clamper, do not talk with them as then they will stick around thinking you are going to pay them. Just ignore them when they go grind the clamp off.

But even if they do not go grind it off whilst they are their, they can not physically touch you as they will get done for harrasment.

If they try telling you that it is criminal damage you are causing, they are wrong and tell them that they broke the law by 'tresspassing on to your vehicle' also caused damage to your wheel by tightening the wheel clamp.

Every case that has gone into court for vehicle clamping the clampers have lost out and had to pay out to the victims.

These clampers can not touch your property as that is an offense.

So if they do you just grind the clamp off!!!!

A car is clamped legally on private land, there is nothing wrong with the clamping of the car. There are signs etc...

Owner of the car then places and extra chain around the clamp, they then pay the clamping to release the clamp but also require the same amount in return to release the chain.

After all Under tort, damages are sought to restore a party to original position as best they can before commission of the tort. The owner of the car was x pounds better off before the clamp was placed on the car.

The chain can not be cut as it would then be criminal damage. The person placing the chain does not need to be SIA registered as they are not a clamping company.

''' Hi Mate,

Got a hammer and broke off the clamp , snapped it off and took the clamp with me to teach them a lesson that not to mess.

No i keep a cordless grinder, if needed by me or any of my freinds they can call me i will come and grind the clamp off.

Advice: do not negotiate with the clamper, do not talk with them as then they will stick around thinking you are going to pay them. Just ignore them when they go grind the clamp off.

But even if they do not go grind it off whilst they are their, they can not physically touch you as they will get done for harrasment.

If they try telling you that it is criminal damage you are causing, they are wrong and tell them that they broke the law by 'tresspassing on to your vehicle' also caused damage to your wheel by tightening the wheel clamp.

Every case that has gone into court for vehicle clamping the clampers have lost out and had to pay out to the victims.

''' Hi Mate,

Interesting idea that and funny that I should stumble on it this eve after i was putting some thought into the matter...

PPCs rely on "contracts" being formed by signs, so why not play them at their own game and put a sign prominently on your car somehow to this effect:

By attaching, fixing or otherwise placing any object, item or device (including, but not limited to, wheel clamps, vehicle immobilisation devices and other vehicles such as tow trucks and low loaders) you, as the current legal owner, or authorised agent of the current legal owner, of the object, agree to the following terms:

· You agree to immediately transfer full ownership, title and possession of the object and any associated item used to secure the object in place (such as chains, bars, padlocks, keys to padlocks, straps and clamps) to the current keeper of the vehicle this notice is attached to (“This Vehicle”).

· You agree, personally and on behalf of the organisation(s) or company(s) you are acting for (Joint and several liability), to indemnify the current keeper of this vehicle against any damage caused to any property during the removal of the object and/or associated items from this vehicle.

· In the case of other vehicles being the subject of this contract, you agree to complete the procedure of notifying the DVLA that the current keeper of This Vehicle is the new registered keeper of the subject vehicle. You also agree to provide the current MOT certificate (if applicable), Current Tax Disk and all keys for the subject vehicle to the current keeper of this vehicle within 14 days.

· Should you not comply with your obligations on this contract, you agree to pay an administration charge of £5 per week until such time as your compliance is obtained and any outstanding balance is paid in full. You also agree to indemnify The Keeper against any costs incurred in obtaining payment and your compliance.

or is that tooo devious :D

H

I am not a lawyer - I'm an Engineer with an interest in law. Advice is given with out prejudice and is my opinion on the information I have been provided with based on my experience, understanding and interpritation of law. If you are in any doubt please seek the advice of a qualified and insured legal professional.

Victories:

Abbey (OH) - £680 ..... Barclaycard (OH) - £2200 ..... MBNA (OH) - £1800 ..... Shop Direct (OH) - £220

Brunell Franklin (a.k.a. Conkers) - Out of "contract" & no charge

:D

In Progress:

MBNA (OH) - PPI & bad default with premature termination

Capital One (OH) - ~£800 Penalty Charges

Suzuki Finance/Blackhorse (OH) - Commission, Unlawful removal, PPI, Charges

A Lightbulb Shop - "loss of bargain"

If i've helped, please feel free to hit the star ;)

"copy, paste, print"

Would that work, legally? Are any out there qualified to say yes it is?

Love to hope so...