retrieving belongings from landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing.

I have been renting a room on a weekly basis shared with my 'landlord' (who is subletting as her name is on the lease) and her partner.

I was suddenly met with a lot of verbal abuse and from my landlord's partner yesterday afternoon in the form of phone calls and texts (10+ in an hour) after dropping off some money to cover some minor accumulated rent arrears. I also left a note detailing my workings of what I thought was still owed (they were requesting £500 and I thought it was less) and asking for the full amount so I could pay it all off later in the day.

I'm not sure if some misunderstanding occured as we were quite friendly up until that point. recieved more texts stating my stuff was being dumped outside and threatening me with the police should I try to enter so went with my step mum to retrieve the belongings. we found some of them left outside (quite open to being stolen and threats of provoking this were in the texts) and shortly after packing them into the car recieved a text stating 'rest of money rest of stuff'.

and that takes us up until today. I have not responded aside from 2 texts early on politely asking what the problem was and what was the amount so I can pay. I do feel the hostile nature and mild threats more than a little uncalled for - I would not have given them any trouble had they simply asked that I leave.

I have called shelter and they have suggested either contacting the council or police - given the threats I feel the police is a better option, but I could not find out if they are actually allowed to grant me access to get my things? I have proof of address on me and still have my keys.

Any suggestions on how to get this over with smoothly? :|

Have a word with the local community police team, they should be able to arrange for you to be accompanied by an officer whilst you collect your belongings.

If your 'landlord' wants the remaining rent he should use the legal route & that means taking you to small-claims court. But in doing this he could find himself on a bit of a sticky wicket because there's probably a clause in his tenancy agreement regarding sub-letting. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the response.

I have called the police helpline and they are telling me what I expected to hear anyway - that they won't get involved as it's a 'civil matter' so if he refuses me entry they won't step in :(

I really don't expect a better response in person although now I am recieving threats to sell my belongings tomorrow morning. the police have said to come back to them if he does as it's then theft.

any suggestions?

I am also of the impression that I don't actually owe them anything now as from my workings I am up to date minus the next week which I am not obligated to pay as I do not have access to the house. they have failed to tell me anything otherwise and have still not even told me what they are expecting me to pay them.

I'm reluctant to get in contact now and on top of that my phone battery is very low and they have my charger so I have switched it off to preserve the messages.

Although it's a civil matter you can ask to be accompanied by a police officer as you feel there may be a 'Breach of the Peace' or other offence committed when you collect your belongings. It is quite common practice, bailiffs etc do it all the time although the police will not make a forced entry or anything like that.

I still have my key and recent proof of address (ongoing housing benefit award letter no less) am I allowed to enter the property to collect my belongings or does it all depend on whether or not they actively refuse entry? I'm worried about turning up and them simply saying 'no' and the police shurgging and walking off. would be a waste of time and resources. I'm also stuck for transport at least until tomorrow.

will they do anything if I report the potential theft of my belongings?