• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No  7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice' I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof?
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capquest Statutory Demand - Littlewoods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

First of all please let me apologise for asking for help when there are already so many threads relating to the same thing but my head is ready to explode and I really need someone to 'hold my hand'.

I have received a SD from Capquest this morning - very similar to the ones already scanned and posted in different threads. It relates to a debt from Littlewoods of £1100, apparently Capquest were assigned this debt in Sept 2006. It does go on to list my nearest Court. However, I am pretty sure I have never received any other correspondance from Capquest, and I really think this debt it Statute Barred or very nearly there as I can not remember paying anything since 2003 and I do (and did) dispute the debt with littlewoods back in 2003. The original credit agreement was from 1999. I have never received a default on this account and searching through my credit file (with all 3 agencies) it seems that there is no record of this at all. I would issue a

The Statutory Demand is date 5th August, I received it today and there is no post mark on the envelope it was just sent regular 1st class post.

What should I do?

Do I need to apply to the court to have it set aside? or should I just hold on tight? X20 has put things very well but I am afraid I just need someone to clarify my position.

I am going through a really rough time personally at the moment and this is the last thing I need to be dealing with right now.... all my instincts are telling me to ignore this but recently my instincts have been way off the mark and I don't want it to turn into more of a nightmare. I nearly rang them up to offer a small payment each month - but I know that's wrong because I don't agree with the debt in the first place.

Please help me.

Thanks, lottieapple

Hi Lilly

Thank you! I think this is more about me questionning my own judgement than not being happy with x20's explaination, I would just really apprecaite someone confirming my gut feelings that I should just sit tight and wait.

Has anyone actually been made bankrupt by this bunch of cowboys?

And I can not believe that they think its ok to send this Statutory Demand without actually contacting me before, I would have soon told them to s*d off and provide me with proof that the debt exists. However, much as I want to do that now (and like I said before I am pretty sure it's SB) I don't want to acknowledge that I have received this Statutory Demand now because knowing my luck I will completely mess things up.

Sorry for rambling, am I worrying about nothing? especially as I can see there is no evidence that it has been 'served' correctly and therefore probably invalid?

Thanks, Lottieapple

Unfortunately you must take the SD seriously as capquest could get a judgement by default and then petition for BR. I know many would say this scenario is highly unlikely given the amount you allegedly owe and the cost to CQ of a petition but you have to expect the worst case scenario just in case.

You have 18 days from the date that service is deemed to apply for a set aside.

Applying to have it set aside is a lot easier than you may think. Download forms 6.4 and 6.5 from here:

Forms

You can get the affi sworn at your local court free unless you live in London. There are numerous threads on here dealing with CQ SD set asides, just do a search.

Just shout if you need a hand...

• Haha 1

We all share your concerns however the nature of the beast is this.

We the consumer, DO NOT HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING it is down to them.

So given as explain in x20 post this would fail if they had the temerity to go for bankruptcy because of the nature how the SD was serve.

So you could take the view that this is to scare you into making a payment.

DO NOT.

KIND REGARDS LILLY

Edited by lilly white

At present the OFT are monitoring 1st crud and connartists issuing of SDs. CQ will be aware of this and might just follow through with their threat. This is why it's so important to get it set aside. Don't forget you can apply for a wasted costs order if you successfully get this set aside and this would csot CQ a few hundred at least ;)

Read this- its not as difficult as you might think to get this setaside and probably even take some money of them for their trouble.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/211818-lowell-hampton-statutory-demand.html

Sorted and £260 richer in less than 10 days.

But one thing is for sure-you cant ignore it lottie.

• Haha 1

Ok when was your last payment for this account and your last acknoledgement for this as dates are important if you think it SB.Have you checked your credit file to see when a DN was added for this.Been to court with this lot and my debt and defence was SB and won havent hered anything from them since last year also was a bit richer after it to and got to threaten them with a warrent myself after them not paying up on time.

• Haha 1

OK thanks for the advice everyone.

So if I don't ignore this I need to get down to the local court and start the process to have it set aside? forgive me for being dim on what grounds?

stuscfc (you don't happen to be in stoke do u?) in answer to your question there is NOTHING on my credit file regarding this debt. I only have one Defaul on my credit file and that drops off in Oct 2009 and that was for something completely different. I am pretty sure I haven't paid anything since early 2003 and I certainly have acknowledged this debt since that time either. I have been searching through all my paperwork and can not find anything in the last 5 years that indicates anything different.

I have never received any correspondance from Capquest until today, not even telling me they now hold the debt.

In 2003 I sent Littlewoods a letter to request the details of the account and a breakdown of the charges but they never responded.

Should I also request the details from Capquest once I have been to start the procedure for having the SD set aside?

Thank you everyone..... I means a lot to know I am not alone.

Lottie x

OK thanks, I have downloaded the forms and will go down to the court when I can (probably Friday but thats still within the time scale). What is the best defence to state on the forms?

Looking at all the paperwork I have from the various debt collectors it seems that a £30 payment was made between July 2004 and Oct 2004 but I can not find anything on my bank statements that corresponds to this, so I guess I can not go down the SB route. I still dispute the debt though as I believe the balance is made up of ficticious charges etc...

If you are sure you havent payed or acknoledged the debt in since early 2003 then it may well be SB and that is a major part of your defence also how was it served by hand or first/second class mail. Try phoning the named person on the SD and ONLY talk to them and refuse to talk to anyone else but them.If you are luck to be put through say thank you and put the phone down.You have to beable to speak to the person named on there.Also contact TS and the OFT as you havent had anything else from them untill now i know the OFT would like to here about it and they WILL contact you about it in due course as i was.Remember when trying to contact the person named on the SD and other times LOG all the calls names and times for future if needed.PHEW lol i cant think of anything else now lol:D

OK, right I have completed the court forms for my defence I have put:

1. Do not admit the debt because the debt is in dispute.

My request under s77/8 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 was sent to CapQuest Debt Recovery, the debt collection agency who claim to be dealing with the alleged agreement and have raised the statutory demand. This request was sent on xx/xx/xx and until such time that I receive and can verify that the debt exists the debt remains in dispute.

2. Further, I believe that the amount of £1100 referred to in the statutory demand includes a substantial sum of unlawful penalty charges. Again I have written to CapQuest, the issuer of the Statutory Demand and requested that they provide further information regarding the charges in the statutory demand includes a substantial sum of unlawful penalty charges.

3. I have made a subject access request to Capquest Debt Recovery, this request was sent on xx/xx/xx I am hoping this will supply me with the relevant details to confirm that

a. The alleged debt exists

b. The balance, including any details of items added to the total amount contained on the Statutory Demand.

c. Any other information they may hold that is relevant to the alleged debt.

I have draft letters to Capquest for a CCA, including any charges that may have been added to the account and a SB letter and now SAR - let them prove to me that there was a payment by me in 2004 and I genuinely believe there isn't any records of payments by me since March 2003.

I can only get down to the court on Friday as I am moving next week (why oh why couldn't I have received the letter next week when I no longer live here!) what do you guys think of my defence?

Edited by lottieapple

OK, firstly I would like to thank everyone for their help yesterday.

Just to let you know I have decided to not do anything about the Statutory Demand after thinking things through there are many reasons but I actually think if they were to go through with the Petition it would do me a favour. I guess I must point out that I don't own my own home and don't have significant assets and my job does not rely on it so I have nothing to lose.

My husband has recently left me and I am responsible for 4 children (not all of whom are mine) and if Capquest would like to help me by making me bankrupt then I hope they go ahead as I can not be any worse off than I am now. I know it's not the easy option but at least I can have a 'fresh start'. I am under no illusion that if the went down the bankruptcy route then life would be uncomfortable but then again it's dam right painful now!

I am sure Welcome Finance whom I have 2 debts with will thank them as well, especially as I have been a model customer and never missed a payment!

IF it gets to petition stage then I am sure I can argue that I did not receive a Statutory Demand (correctly), that the debt is disputed and that I have never received a formal assignment notice to tell me that CapQuest is now the owner of the debt but in all honesty I would only do that to make their lives hell and show them that they can not get away with not following clearly regulated guidelines.

Maybe I am taking a gamble but thats a risk I am prepared to take as either way it is making life no more difficult.

Thank you once again for all your excellent advice.

Lottie x x

Oh sorry, I thought you wanted to avoid BR.

If you want them to petition hopefully they will and save you the BR fees :)

Give us a shout if you need any advice on BR as I've been through it 2 years ago in the same situation as yourself but I only have one child.

Good afternoon.

Please be assured what ever decision that you make we will help in what ever way we can.

We are aware that these are difficult times for you as long as you aware of you rights we can do no more.

The message I try to give out.

We will not be bullied, we will not be intimidated and we will not be humiliated.

KIND REGARDS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Lilly White

Edited by lilly white
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

After deciding to let them 'carry on' and go through with their threat if thats what they were going to do! I thought I would update you on whats been happening.

I sent Capquest a letter thanking them for their statutory demand and telling them how relieved I would be if they would take the decision out of my hands. I actually thanked them for their help.

I also CCA'd them while I was at it - in for a penny in for a pound and all that. Afterall we can't make it that easy for them can we?

I have received a letter today from them basically telling me that after reviewing my account they would not be pursuing the account any further and their file would be closed!

How about that for a result!

Love Lottie x x