DCA attemping to collect an old Car Finance debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, Basically my situation is like this. I had a car on finance approx 13 years ago. As life tends to get in the way, I found myself a husband and father (best things in my life) So I contacted the finance firm (cough, UDT, cough) and told them I wanted to cancel our agreement (four year finance - two years in). They then sent a guy out to my house who made me sign an A4 piece of paper (I kid you not, hand written!!) that stated that I was voluntarily giving up the car. So they promptly sued me in 1998 and apparently got a CCJ for approx 1500. Which I them agreed to pay off at 15 quid a week plus I payed them a lot more the weeks I worked overtime Now I paid this for many years after and to my horror at around 2003 I got a visit from the Sheriff Officers claiming I still owed approx 1200. Now I checked my records (post office stubbs) and it seems that out of the original court order, I had more or less payed off the original balance of 1500. Now I told the Sheriff Officers to clear off and that they should make me bankrupt as I was not willing to be a cash machine for (cough, UDT became Black Horse) and to make me bankrupt. I then spent many years worried sick about this, but now I have a mob called Allied International Credit chasing me up for 900 quid on behalf of Black Horse. I guess what I really want to know is if a company gets a CCJ, can they continue to add punitave rates of interest even if I didn't know about the CCJ ( I got a blue letter through the post back in 98 stating that I had a judgement awarded against me - and I know I'm a coward for not contesting it) Now back to the Allied Credit people, I have ignored them for several months but now I'm getting cards through the post threatening legal action. But surely if I'm dragged through the courts again they cannot award more money than the original judgement? Otherwise whats the point of payin if they are going to cripple me with interest payments? I appreciate any and all help that anyone can provide as I feel that I have paid off the original debt that they sued me for. Thanks for taking the time to read this Ally Sorry for the edit, but I'm still trying to figure out the forum. (I suck!!) But UDT repossed the car the day they made me sign a hand written document saying so. Now I was stupid enough to sign it just to get by the embarrassment of having your car reposessed (sic) in front off your pregnant wife and then the stigma of having your car repo'ed in front of your neighbours.

Edited by FunkayMunkay

looks like they had their cake and more before!

i would guess knowing AIC they have you on a phishing list

and if they know your address if any court proceeding were started the court would send details. i dont think the ccj has any bearing at all anymore else the sherrif wold have pursued that years back when he called.

TBH: i'd totally ignore them.

if and a very BIG if it ever got to court, i'd use that to redress the wrongs that have been done in the past to you.

hth

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the prompt reply dx I had a feeling myself that AIC were trying their luck but this thing has hung over me for a long time. I'll continue to file any more letters from them in the circular file :) As I said in my earlier post I had paid the OC a fortune over the years only to find out that it had virtually no impact on the original balance as they were hammering on interest. I had no problem with paying them what was originally owed but I will not let them treat me like a cash machine

Hiya,

When did you last make a payment towards the ccj?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

even with the ccj if no payment etc was made in the last 6 years (which it is nearing then) its nearly at the stage where they would need to take you back to court to enforce it.

So trying to hold off at this stage would be beneficial to yourself.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)