Faulty cam belt - help!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4038 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I also think you have a bit of an uphill struggle with this. Who fitted the belt?

Was a Fiat approved guage used to tension the belt? If not, that is your biggest problem as they can rightfully claim incorrect fitment.

I think you might want to ask your expert witness for your money back. Did he send the belt for a lab analysis of the material? Further, the qualifications he claims ( I alledge) do not make him an automotive expert by a long way.

MIMI is memberr of the institute of the motor industry and CAE is Certified Automobile engineer.

In fact some of the people who post in this section are probably more qualified to comment on the failure. Look up the directory of Expert Witnesses.

The defence is good and if they were to appear, if it got that far, then they will take him apart. You cannot tell if it's a manufacturing defect without a proper lab test.

The wrong tension ( most common cause of failure) followed by the slightest "nick" in the belt cause the same thing. Does his report for example state the shore hardness number of the belt and what the Fiat spec is? I very much doubt it.

Sorry to appear negative here but really you should have let the garage doing the work and supply the parts.

I can though understand why and for future ref what I do is see what I can get the parts for and then only allow the fitting garage a 10% mark up when they fit them. Therefore they take all the risk and responsibility and I get no grief.

My take on this is like I said earlier; the belt may be old stock (over 5 years old) and as such Fiat would'nt recommend it being fitted. A genuine Fiat agent would not sell a belt which was over this age and Fiat would be able to identify the age of the belt from it's unique serial number but without it thats obviously going to be difficult. This is why i'm asking which department at Fiat did the op send the belt? And I dont suppose for one minute the op has the serial number? For what its worth, this is the phone number for Fiat's parts centre in Warrington; 01925 445643

I still would talk to trading standards about this.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have an update...

I thought they were going to drag this as far as they could but I randomly got a letter and cheque from them asking me to stop proceeding and they wish to settle the full amount of my claim. :D

I don't know what made them do a U turn but I've recently being made redundant so I'm glad they did.

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and support on this. Ta muchly.

Edited by redfish0

Great news (not about your being made redundant!). My guess is they have had some correspondence from Fiat about selling a duff belt! They obviously depend on selling Fiat parts so putting 2 & 2 together...

Anyway glad its sorted!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.