Disabled son got clamped!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well..not my son, but his car!! :rolleyes:

My son had parked in a local car park for roughly ten mins. He is disabled and this is the nearest car park to where he had to be. It is a private car park, which he didn't realise.

He got out of the car and didn't display his blue badges properly, he left them on the seat, and was clamped. But it does say on the tax disc it is a mobility car. Isn't there something about not clamping a mobility car?

In a panic my son borrowed the money from a friend and paid by credit card. £125.00 for a ten minute stay!

I have since found out this firm sit in the car park just waiting all day to clamp people. :-x

Is there anything we can do as there is no way my son can afford this, and i'm not in the best position to help him.

Any help will be great. :)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Also, is there anyway I can find out if they are a legal firm, as I am having problems finding out. They are called "Predator Security Uk Ltd"

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

The sticky post covers whether or not the act of clamping was lawful. Thi includes factors such as signage, paperwork and SIA licenses.

If the clamping truns out to be unlawful, then it would be a question of obtaining a chargeback from the CC company, or making a claim in the county court against the clamper and land owner as joint defendants.

The sticky post covers whether or not the act of clamping was lawful. Thi includes factors such as signage, paperwork and SIA licenses.

The fact that it was a mobility car should in itself render the clamping as unlawful. I would go for the chargeback route I think putting grea stress on the "disabled" element of the clampers transgression.

• Haha 1

The paper work should contain the guy who put the clamp on SIA number

check here.

https://portal.the-sia.org.uk/web/start.swe?SWECmd=GotoView&_sn=sHtbwlco.1vamahUBjR9Sjl-VorLlP04BO2O4bXbUbk_&SWEView=LDL+Licence+Query+View&SWEHo=portal.the-sia.org.uk&SWETS=1249656203

If he's not I belive this becomes a criminal matter.

Thanks guys.

I can't get anything on that last link though.

F&Q's... Read here

It is illegal to immobilise or clamp a disabled driver. That will of course go on the proviso that it was apparant that the car is indeed being used by or for a diabled person.

The blue badge, was it visible or was it in a closed wallet?

I know the tax disc may well have said disabled, but that would be easy to miss when you are rushing to clamp someone.

Either way, it is an offence to clamp a disabled car and I have to ask if your son made it clear when he contacted them that he is indeed a disabled driver. If he did they should have immediately removed the clamp free of charge. It would be reasonable for them to ask to see the blue badge or even read the tax disc if it wasn't obvious that the driver was disabled.

Definitely inform them now if you haven't already and demand an immediate refund. If they don't they are in a lot of trouble.

Name & Registered Office: PREDATOR SECURITY UK LTD SWIFT HOUSE 6 CUMBERLAND CLOSE DARWEN LANCASHIRE BB3 2TR Company No. 06596028 Status: Active Date of Incorporation: 19/05/2008 From a free search on Companies House website.

My son informed him straight away he was disabled, and it was a mobility car. Thew guy has seen the badges, and basically said tough, if he had displayed the badges he wouldn't have clamped him.

Doesn't make any sense!!

F&Q's... Read here

so, he knowing admited to clamping a mobility car.

Police and SIA time me thinks.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/137863-clamping-guide.html

"The PSI Act sets out that:

• The person immobilising the vehicle must be licensed by the Security Industry Authority.
  • The person immobilising or releasing the vehicle must have their Security Industry Authority identification badge on display.
  • Upon payment a receipt must be issued. The receipt should contain the:
    • the name of the license holder
    • the signature of the license holder
    • the license holders SIA License number
    • the location where the vehicle was clamped or towed
    • the date when the vehicle was clamped or towed

Further terms for vehicle immobilisers were set out in The Private Security Industry Act 2001 (Licenses) Regulations 2007.

These are

1)A vehicle must not be clamped / blocked / towed if:

a)A valid disabled badge is displayed on the vehicle.

b)It is an invalid carriage

c)It is a marked emergency service vehicle which is in use as such.

In The Private Security Industry Act 2001 (Licences) Regulations 2007

• “invalid carriage” has the same meaning as in section 253(5) of the Road Traffic Act 1960;
  • “disability badge” means a badge issued under section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970; and
  • “Emergency vehicle” has the same meaning as in regulation 3(2) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

Any firm who does not comply with the above is in breach of the Security Industry Act and can be prosecuted.

It is also an offence to knowingly employ unlicensed clampers. Landlords can be fined up to £5000 and/or be jailed for up to 6 months per offence. "

Contact the SIA and the Plod

Edited by cirian75
  • Haha 1

This is very naughty. A clear breach of SIA regulations.

Look at section 6 of the regulations.

The Private Security Industry Act 2001 (Licences) Regulations 2007 No. 810

I would suggest that you contact the clamper and suggest a refund is in order, or else you will have no recourse other than to raise complaints with the SIA and the Old Bill.

• Haha 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, he knowing admited to clamping a mobility car.

Police and SIA time me thinks.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/137863-clamping-guide.html

"The PSI Act sets out that:

• The person immobilising the vehicle must be licensed by the Security Industry Authority.
  • The person immobilising or releasing the vehicle must have their Security Industry Authority identification badge on display.
  • Upon payment a receipt must be issued. The receipt should contain the:
    • the name of the license holder
    • the signature of the license holder
    • the license holders SIA License number
    • the location where the vehicle was clamped or towed
    • the date when the vehicle was clamped or towed

Further terms for vehicle immobilisers were set out in The Private Security Industry Act 2001 (Licenses) Regulations 2007.

These are

1)A vehicle must not be clamped / blocked / towed if:

a)A valid disabled badge is displayed on the vehicle.

b)It is an invalid carriage

c)It is a marked emergency service vehicle which is in use as such.

In The Private Security Industry Act 2001 (Licences) Regulations 2007

• “invalid carriage” has the same meaning as in section 253(5) of the Road Traffic Act 1960;
  • “disability badge” means a badge issued under section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970; and
  • “Emergency vehicle” has the same meaning as in regulation 3(2) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

Any firm who does not comply with the above is in breach of the Security Industry Act and can be prosecuted.

It is also an offence to knowingly employ unlicensed clampers. Landlords can be fined up to £5000 and/or be jailed for up to 6 months per offence. "

Contact the SIA and the Plod

It is not an offence to clamp a mobility car and a mobility car has no legal standing in any parking or clamping legislation. The OP has already stated the Blue Badge was not displayed correctly which would invalidate it under the disabled badge regs. Whilst not ethically correct they have not broken any law as regards the SIA or any other relevant legislation.

• Haha 1

Ordinarily G&M I would agree with you, but I thing for the purposes of the county court and the SIA the badge was on display albeit not in the prescribed manner (unless of course the OPs car doesn't have facia or dashboard.

From the statement of the clamper he knew he was a clamping a disabled persons vehicle which is in clear breach of the regulations.

From the regulations

12. For the purposes of section 21(4A) of the 1970 Act a disabled person's badge is displayed on a vehicle in the prescribed manner if-

(a) the badge is exhibited on the dashboard or facia of the vehicle, or

(b) where the vehicle is not fitted with a dashboard or facia, the badge is exhibited in a conspicuous position on the vehicle,

so that the front of the badge is clearly legible from the outside of the vehicle.

As offenses under the act are treated as criminal then this statement becomes pertinent in court. The OP should take this up with the SIA.

I would also suggest that as the BB was on the seat it was clearly legible from outside the vehicle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just an update...

My son saw the clamper yesterday, he approached him and was very calm and polite, and asked for a refund, while showing him the print out of the letter in post 13 above.

The guy went ballistic!! Shouting and screaming and threatening my son, saying he didn't give a "s***" it was a disabled car, and he will do it again if he sees it regardless of the badges!

So now I am more mad than ever!!!

I will see if there is a template letter I can get to send to these clowns. :mad:

F&Q's... Read here

this is also discrimination i would go and see a solicitor

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

As much as I would love to, I guess it would be his word against theirs.

F&Q's... Read here

Ordinarily G&M I would agree with you, but I thing for the purposes of the county court and the SIA the badge was on display albeit not in the prescribed manner (unless of course the OPs car doesn't have facia or dashboard.

How can there be a prescribed manner on a private car park?