PPI Insurance problem and regulation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

I have recently made a claim against a ppi policy for my car after I became ill and havent been able to work for the last few months. I was initially told by Lombard that I was covered but then I was later informed that I wasnt and apologised for the confusion. The reason - I had opted for the Silver cover and my policy would only pay out in this instance if it was Gold cover.

Problem is I was never informed by the Garage owner who acted as intermediary for Lombard and sold the policy to me that there were different levels of cover and the form was filled out by him and then signed by me.

The garage owner admitted to me verbally that he doesn’t know the various levels of cover and has never been told to explain these to customers however he will not put that in writing and appears to have told Lombard a different story now. Lombard disagree that I have been mis-sold this policy.

I have also since found out that the garage owner is not a registered insurance intermediary via the financial regulator, I am waiting on a response with regards the implications of being sold a policy by someone who isn’t registered.

Can anyone make suggestions regarding my situation.

Does anyone know if insurance can be sold by someone who isn’t registered and an insurance intermediary?

Many Thanks

Pancho

have you found out what the difference is between silver and gold cover? What exactly does silver cover do for you?

The problem you have here is that most PPI is sold on a non-advice basis where you're provided with a policy summary with key features and benefits and details of any significant or unusual exclusions or limitations. You're supposed to decide for yourself if it suitable for you.

I think (but am not certain) that this means that the garage owner doesn't need to be registered as an insurance intermediary as you're not buying the cover from him, but from Lombard.

If you didn't receive the policy summary you could have been mis-sold the product as you had no way of understanding if it was suitable for your needs - it clearly wasn't.

I'm concerned that the garage owner filled in the form though as you are supposed to do that for yourself. Your best solution is the Financial Ombudsman Service but you really should contact Lombard first to give them a chance to comment and hopefully do something to help you.

Cheers for that Ricky, I should have mentioned that I have been in touch with Lombard who deny any mis-selling. Initially they told me I was covered but later told me they had made a mistake and my cover (Silver) wasnt sufficient.

Having looked into the types of cover there are large differences in cover but my point is that I wasnt made aware at the point of sale of the different types of cover, that appears to have been decided for me.