• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Aplins/Hillesden Securities Ltd (dlc) claimform - old HBOS Credit Card debt -got CCJ but WON CO Hearing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4547 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right then, I have read through those other cases and I'm none the wiser and its all still gobbledegook :confused:, but I am seriously considering defending this, because it does look as though they are trying it on as they have only sent me a copy of a reservation form and not cca and the t&c's are just a print out, but I'm not sure if they are from when I took the credit card out or later.

First though, I need to ask

1. Is this going to cost me anything?

2. If I lost would I have to pay their costs and would it be a fortune?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some defences (if the claim is real :rolleyes:) for you to mull over;

CL Finance Ltd. Recieved a court claim form**WON** Discontinued

Lloyds TSB Credit Card - Claim form received

Help! - AMEX No CCA and they've started court action. **DISCONTINUED**

You will need to send a CPR request for further information, so including that bit is fine.

If you want to acknowledge service (you can't dispute the Court's jurisdiction, so don't) that will buy you more time to read up and get any questions you have answered

As it stands, they don't have a case against you, but we need the Court to decide that, not me...

Car, those POCs have to be the worst yet ? I dont think you can even use CPR31.14 can you.

IMHO, I would go with one of surfaceagentx20's killers as follows.

In the first instance, acknowledge the claim.

Then.. enter the following defence on line.

Defence

1. The particulars of claim discloses no cause of action and are self evidently an abuse of process, in that they fail to deal with the basic rules of pleading in accordance with the CPR (even allowing for the constraints of the bulk issue system).

2. Further to that above the defendant is unable to plead effectively or at all. The defendant is embarrassed.

Make sure you print off a copy of the receipt and the defence you have entered.

Send a copy of the defence with a covering letter to the solicitors named on the claim form .. as follows:

Dear Solicitor

Claim Number XXXX

Claimant v Shazza XXXX

Herewith copy defence by way of service, the same having been filed with the court.

Please serve amended particulars of claim and plead your client's case in an appropriate manner within 7 days, so that I am aware of the case I will have to meet at trial. I request that you attach to the particulars a copy of the agreement upon which the claimant relies. The matter will be transferred to my home court and the claimant will have to produce the document, in any event. In those circumstances you should plead in accordance with the CPR rather than the Northampton County Court regime.

Failure to provide that requested in the time period provided for will result in application to the court. I confirm a copy of this letter will be produced to the court when the question of costs falls to be decided.

Yours faithfully

Enclosed: Copy of defence filed.

Send the letter by RM special delivery service, keep the postal receipt and check in a few days that it has been delivered.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

;)

Civil Procedure Rule (aka CPR) 3.4(2)

The court may strike out a statement of case if it appears to the court

(a) that the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing or defending the claim;

(b) that the statement of case is an abuse of the court’s process or is otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings; or

© that there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order

Those particulars of claim are an abuse of the Court's process, as they don't satisfy the Courts rules on particulars - cue CPR Part 16;

Contents of the claim form

(1) The claim form must –

(a) contain a concise statement of the nature of the claim;

With me now?

So, the problem you, as a Defendant has, is that the 'Court' (by 'Court', I mean a real person, like you and me - the Judge) hasn't actually 'seen' this claim yet. The Court doesn't look at claims issued to say, "now, should this be struck out under CPR Part 3.4(2) because it doesn't meet the requirements of CPR Part 16.2(1)(a)?". If only they did! No, what you have to do, is challenge the claim, by applying to the Court (a Judge) and saying that "This claim should be struck out, as per the Court's case management powers outlined in CPR Part 3.4(2), as the claim is an abuse of the Courts process due to not being sufficiently particularised under CPR Part 16.2(1)(a)". You're hoping that a Judge will agree with you and strike the claim out, meaning that you don't have to defend it - there is, in effect, no claim.

The more likely outcome is that the Judge (giving the other side as much opportunity to hang themselves as possible, while at the same time being seen to be 'just' and 'fair' to all parties) will probably order them to amend their particulars of claim to satisfy CPR Part 16.2(1)(a) and then for you to have additional time after that to submit a defence.

If you don't apply for a strike out, the claim will never be tested.

I love doing this, as this all appears so complex on the face of it - "applying for a strike out due to insufficiently particularised particulars of claim" - but once you apply a no-nonsense, common sense, plain English approach to these things, they suddenly become very clear.

Now, remind me why us litigants in person pay £150+ an hour for a Solicitor to explain what I just explained to you?! :lol:

I think its looking a bit clearer now:). What you are saying is that the particulars of claim that they have given is not a good enough reason to make a claim from me?

So my next question, I did warn you about having your work cut out with me;-), how do I go about applying for a strike out?

So is this what I put on the form and if so whereabouts,in the defence box? Is this all I need?

"The Defendant argues that the Claimants Particulars of Claim is insufficiently stated, as it does not refer to the terms under which the claim is brought concisely and causes issues for the Defendant in he is unsure as to what the case to answer is - therefore the Defendant is unable to Defend the claim properly."

"This claim should be struck out, as per the Court's case management powers outlined in CPR Part 3.4(2), as the claim is an abuse of the Courts process due to not being sufficiently particularised under CPR Part 16.2(1)(a)".

I've managed to get on the website now, but I can't figure out what I am actually applying for and if there is a payment:confused:. I'm beginning to feel really dumb here but I do need as much help as you can give. I understand there is no guarantee but I need to do something to stop them when they are not in the right.

Did you take a look at my link, above? I think I set out what goes in to the N244 in there?

If not, give it a bash and post something up so we can comment.

Not being harsh, but if I do everything for you, you still won't have a clue what is going on and won't be able to stand up for your case as well if it gets there - at least if you have a go and get something wrong, you'll learn why ;)

You will have to pay for an application, unless you are exempt e.g. on benefits etc. I think its £40 for an application without a hearing. The guidance notes on the court service website will tell you. You may be able to have the cost of the application awarded to you as the claim has not yet been allocated to a track. Either way, you will have to pay the fee to the court up-front

There are other options though...

I think car is correct to say:

The more likely outcome is that the Judge (giving the other side as much opportunity to hang themselves as possible, while at the same time being seen to be 'just' and 'fair' to all parties) will probably order them to amend their particulars of claim to satisfy CPR Part 16.2(1)(a) and then for you to have additional time after that to submit a defence.

I considered making an application myself. However, I took the view that the judge might not look sympathetically on me applying to the court without having at least tried to contact the claimant to resolve the issue - in this case to provide a fully particularised claim.

Instead, I wrote to Aplins requesting what I thought I could best expect the judge to order anyway i.e. to provide further information and agree to an extension to the deadline for filing a defence.

I did this by way of a letter and a formal Part 18 request. For details see my thread. This way you can ask the questions that you want to tie them down on.

They have agreed to an extension and have sent me an interim response to the part 18 request. Once I have the final response I will post it on my thread.

I'm not saying that this is the right way of doing it, but it is another option. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

car2403 also makes a good point that it wouldn't be good to spoon-feed you all the info. As I've said before, you need to really understand what you are going to do as you might have to explain yourself in front of a judge.

I presumed that everything would have to go through the court now. I think I will write to Aplins first and ask them to provide further information, that way it will hopefully give me more time for everything else to sink into my small brain.

Am I right in thinking that I have to request a CPR18?

I'm not saying that this is the right way of doing it, but it is another option. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

Definitely! My only problem is that they are the experts here, so a litigant in person shouldn't and isn't expected to know what is/isn't right to do - they are the professionals and they should behave like it. :rolleyes:

There are no right or wrong ways, though.

Oh, and it's more fun to see a Judge give them a hard time than having you do the work for them ;)

car2403 also makes a good point that it wouldn't be good to spoon-feed you all the info. As I've said before, you need to really understand what you are going to do as you might have to explain yourself in front of a judge.

Don't worry, we'll have Shazza helping others out following this experience, you watch :lol:

After much reading I am considering going the way of post 68, mainly because I understand it:)

So just to clarify, my defence is basically saying their POC is not giving enough proof that I owe them this money ie no mention of cca.

Am I right in thinking that because they haven't used this in their POC there's a chance they haven't actually got anything substantial?

Do I pay anything for doing it this way? I can't see anything on the forms I received about a fee.

http://http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab20/Shazza1957/dlcletter_0.jpg

Received this letter today along with another copy of the 'agreement and terms and conditions'. There are also 6 print outs of some statements from 2009, which I have never received from the credit card company. Everyone of them has the same amount owing on them, no interest added and no charges for none payment. There is also some key pages of an Assignment of Debt.

Please advise as to my next step, I was really hoping they wouldn't do this to me.