You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Awol

Do we have a case?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3988 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Very interesting!

Do we have a case, if so, HOW do we go about this?

Son purchased a Goodmans LD 3265D1 TV, costing £349.99 online from Ebuyer via Comet with his DEBIT card on 30th May, 2008. He has rung tonight to say it is broken. He has the details on his Bank Statement.

What next??

MANY thanks for any replies to help us here!

You do have a case, but not under the 2 yrs European which is nothing new, it's the 1999 directive and the Daily Mail decided to yet again turn it into a piece of misinformation.

You have a much strong case under SOGA. Read around and you will see many examples on how to make the retailer stand up and take notice, including letters you can tailor to your needs.

I'll ask the team to move your post to its own thread so it can be followed easier. ;-)

Many thanks!

I've been in contact with Comet - and they say he DID buy direct from them.

However, the girl I initially spoke to said that we would have to pay a £30 call out fee for their engineer to visit. If parts needed to be replaced we would have to purchase these..albeit at a 'big' discount.

I queried this, quoting the EU Directive and was put onto a Supervisor. He said IF the engineer deemed the tv as a 'fault' we could claim the £30 back and parts would be replaced.

I have just rung them to arrange for an engineer, explaining that I have already spoken to them this morning and they have taken my phone number and I am currently awaiting their supervisor to ring me back!

Moved to make your own thread. If you want the heading changed, just let me know. ;)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

:) Thank you. STILL waiting for the supervisor to ring me back! Am now wondering WHY he needs to ring me when I only rung to book/pay for call out engineer.

I eventually called back to Comet! After being put through to numerous people I have now booked an engineer to call sometime on Tuesday.

However...they are now saying that yes..the £30 call out fee WILL be refundable IF the fault is a MAJOR component....NOT a MINOR! :rolleyes:

IF when the engineer checks the set and then calls his manager to explain the fault it is deemed 'Minor' - they say the call out fee is charged PLUS parts and labour!

IF its MAJOR...then £30 refundable and repairs free!

Any idea how or where I stand here please?

Yes.

Tell them that you will pay for the £30 fee and will take it from there, as they can't deny you your statutory rights. Also state that if the fault is deemed "minor", you will not proceed with the repairs and will not pay for more than the call-out fee no matter what.

You might be better off getting an independent engineer out and pay a bit more but won't be quite as biased towards their employers. ;-)

UPDATE!

Engineer from Comet has called. MINOR fault ;o(

He used his 'special engineers' remote control (WHERE can I get one of these?? lol) to reset the tv to factory settings. Rung his manager and it was agreed a no charge as I'd already paid a £30 call out fee.

He said it could have been caused by an electric storm ((shrug))